• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone usage theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodafone usage theft

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help me. I received a bill today from vodafone for my 1GB Netbook (mobile internet using a dongle thing) account.
    Included on this bill is the use of £454.01 worth of text messages.

Shock isn't a strong enough word for the way I felt. I haven't used it for months as I now have a mobile phone (with vodafone) and BT broadband. In fact I couldn't find the dongle thing anywhere. I'm wondering if someone else has it and is using it without my permission, maybe stolen.

I contacted vodafone and explained the situation, I had to ask them to suspend the service because the £454.01 covers the period of December only. They tell me another £348 has been added so far for January.
    I know I haven't used it not only for the reasons above but they tell me that the texts are coming from a website connected to the dongle (I have no idea what he was talking about). The dongle has been added to a texting website or something and sent through the site.

My bills are normall £17-19 per month so you can imagine my horror to find Decembers bill at over £500.

My query is, Vodafone say I still have to pay the bill. Surely there must be something they can do to help during times of fraudulent use. I can't afford to pay £500.

sorry for long post

Re: Vodafone usage theft

bump :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Apologies, I thought someone had responded on the other thread :o

What have Vodafone done when you called them today?

Comment

hello and thank you.

I spoke to vodafone twice this morning. First time I queried the bill and asked why there was £454 worth of text messages on the account. They told me it's been used via a website to send text messages. I still have to pay the bill. and thats it. I was so upset i put the phone down.
        I immediately thought of suspending the account, so I rang back and spoke to someone else. I said I wanted the account stopped in case there are any more texts sent. I asked what the bill is so far for Jan, he told me £348 so far.
        I then asked him to check my usage over the past 18 months and compare it to the usage over the last 2 months. I have never used it texts or anything like that. My bills have been £17-19 per month, every month. He then compared and said "there has been an incredibly huge increase since December"... to say the least.
        So I asked him why they didn't contact me when they noticed a massive 'out of character increase in useage,' as surely they have a duty of care to their customers.

You ask what they have done... just suspended the account and still said I had to pay the full amount.

I hope that helps, I really don't know what to do next.

Thank you
        Last edited by ladybird; 20th January 2010, 20:24:PM.

Comment

The short answer is, you are liable for the bill since you had not cancelled or suspended the account, or reported the item lost.

Vodafone are not responsible for tracking usage, you are and they do not have a duty of care to stop you spending money with them.

You should find out where the device is and also which website has been using it and pursue them, if possible, for the return of your device and for any money they have spent on your behalf.

Finally, without sight of the terms and conditions it is impossible to be certain about the extent of your culpability for this bill. It may be for example, that the unlimited liability clause in the contract is unfair and certainly I am not aware that it has ever been tested in court.

Comment

Hi Cetelco and thank you for being straight.

I thought though as they are providing a service, they have a duty of care to their customers, just like credit card companies. They provide a service to their customers and contact customers if they feel their account is being used fraudulently (the customer may not be aware) If it's proved it is used fraudulently, they then refund the amount.

Is this not the same???

I do have a link to the terms and conditions for vodafone http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...ageID=PTC_0116

Could I go to the small claims court if I find out who has been using it?

Vodafone are sending me the itemised bill which will show the numbers text'd and hopefully the IP address where it was used.

Thank you

LB

Comment

Hello. Just an update really on this problem. I have spoken to Vodafone on several occasions and they have agreed to remove all the extra cost's added to my account not only for Dec but for Jan as well. They are also giving me a month free line rental.
              How did I do this? well I have found out that they where in breach of contract.
              I will continue with the remainder of the contract as there are only a few months left.

Thank you

LB

Comment

I would be interested to learn about how they breached the contract. Was it to do with the misuse of the internet dongle?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                  I would be interested to learn about how they breached the contract. Was it to do with the misuse of the internet dongle?
                  Hello and sorry for the delay. It was the misuse of the dongle and the fact that Vodafone where suppose to contact me/and/or resrict or cancel the service which they did none.
                  They didn't honour their duty to me. I think they realised this and refunded each months dongle usage.
                  So all is now as it was before the misuse happened, thank god.
                  I suppose I could take it further and try to have the contract null and void due to there breach etc etc but there is no point. I'm as I was before this started and they apologised and got 2 months free use, so I'm happy.

Thank you Cetelco for your words.

LB

Comment

You are very welcome and thank you for sharing with us the reason that Vodafone capitulated. I am pleased that you obtained a positive result.

Comment

Hi Ladybird,

Its just a quick message as I discovered your post whilst searching for a solution to a huge bill I have received from Vodafone following a theft of my dongle.

My situation is very similar to yours.

I had a burglary on the 12th Feb which was reported to the police and I have a crime reference number.

I didn't realise at the time but they had taken my Mobile Broadband dongle which had been sitting in a draw unused for the past 10 - 12 months.

A few days ago I was going through my March bank statements and realised that my Vodafone bill dated from the 9th March was around £90 more than normal, I phoned vodafone up immediately and they informed me there had been text messages being sent from the dongle and that from the 9th March to the 6th April there were charges of £791!

The have sent the file up to their Fraud department but are currently refusing to budge and insist I have to pay the bill in full.

It would be great to hear how you managed to get them to waive the charges you faced.

I have mentioned the issue of Duty of Care to their customers especially as in the previous year there had been zero usage on the dongle but am having no joy at all.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Comment

Just a quick update but Vodafone are sticking to their guns and just saying I have to pay the bill which is over £850!

Any help would be so much appreciated.
                        Last edited by Oggy; 5th May 2011, 08:54:AM.

Comment

Is there any chance you could claim this on your house insurance, as part of the theft?
                          Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                            Just a quick update but Vodafone are sticking to their guns and just saying I have to pay the bill which is over £850!

Any help would be so much appreciated.
                            Hi Oggy,

I can appreciate the concerns raised here and would like to take a closer look at your case.

As such, could you email the details across to webrelations@vodafone.com marked for my attention and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
                            I am an official company representative of Vodafone UK.

LegalBeagles has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help resolve issues.

This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by LegalBEAGLES.

Comment

"let me try and save my company's face." Why bother Lee Vodaphone? Your efforts should be directed at changing Vodaphone's policy towards customers in hardship rather than helping the odd one out you happen to come across on consumer forums.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X