• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP! What Now? Hardship conclusion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! What Now? Hardship conclusion?

I agree with Tuttsi, look at the PPI elements as well cos that could be a great winner as well. I think you need to focus on the worst part of the financial hardship when charges on charges caused you to increase your indebtedness to everyone including banks, including utility companies and council tax(if this happened).
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I have looked up on Google the Co-Op advice for mis-sold PPI http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/se...FSCtplStandard the quicker you start the process the quicker you will hopefully be reimbursed and hopefully in next 2-3 months.

If you download the FOS form Q. D7 is the key to your getting your PPI refunded as it asks if you had any disabilities at the time of taking out the PPi policy also there may well be other questions which will also relate to you. Did you voluntary chose to take PPI or was it forced upon you? I would complete the FOS form as this will also form the basis of youir complaint to the FOS if the need arises.

Also, hun it may be a great idea to start a new thread for PPI - mis-sold in the PPI forum where you will get loads of help http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...nce-reclaiming

Payment Protection Insurance

Like all banks, many of our customers have taken out PPI over the years, and many of them have benefited from the protection. However we recognise that in some cases customers may feel concerned about how they were sold their PPI policy. At The Co-operative Bank we are committed to a fair, easy, responsible, and personal service - and that includes putting things right when errors have been made.
      What is Payment Protection Insurance (PPI)?

Payment Protection Insurance is insurance that covers monthly repayments on credit agreements, such as unsecured loans, mortgages or credit and store cards. The payment protection policy helps if the person who takes out the protection dies, has an accident, is sick and unable to work or becomes unemployed. Typically the insurance company pays the monthly repayments (or a percentage of them) on the policyholder's behalf for a fixed period, or the outstanding balance is cleared in the event of death.
      The Co-operative Bank no longer sells PPI for loans, credit cards or mortgages however we will still advise customers to consider how they will make repayments and what provision they need to make in the event of redundancy, accident or unemployment.
      Are you thinking of making a complaint?

There are a number of ways you can make your complaint:
      • Write to us
      • Phone
      • Branch

To help us investigate the complaint, the following will assist:
      • Details of policies you are concerned about
      • Information as to what you feel you were mis-sold about
      • Any further information / documentation that you feel is useful

In addition to this, you might find it easier to complete the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) consumer questionnaire which will help you provide all the information to investigate your complaint.
      The questionnaire will be used handle your complaint as quickly and effectively as possible. By completing this form fully, including any narrative boxes helps us to assess your complaint and prevent us from having to contact you for further information.
      Much of the questionnaire seeks key information on the nature of your complaint, the sale of the payment protection, and your personal circumstances at the point of purchase.
      Download the FOS consumer questionnaire (PDF - 0.2MB)
      Once you have completed this questionnaire, you should send it directly to us at:
      The Co-operative Bank
      PPI Operations
      5th Floor
      1 Balloon Street
      Manchester
      M60 4EP

Alternatively you can contact our 24 hour UK based dedicated customer service team on 08448 44 88 44 for loan queries or 08448 75 87 55 for credit card queries, or 08000 288 288 for mortgage queries or visit your nearest branch.

How long is it likely to take you to respond to my Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) complaint?

We will acknowledge your complaint within 5 business days.
      We aim to provide you with our final decision within 8 weeks and would like to thank you for your patience during this time.
      You have the right to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) if your case has been with us for over eight weeks; however we hope that you will allow us the opportunity to resolve your complaint with you directly.
      Last edited by TUTTSI; 29th March 2013, 18:50:PM.

Comment

Hi Cat. You certainly have had a rough time of it lately - well done for bouncing back !!! Tuttsi has advised me that you may have a PPI claim to make, and this would probably be best kept as a separate claim for simplicity's sake - so start a new thread for it if you haven't done so already, and Turboman, Di30 and I will do our best to get that aspect sorted. The fact that you had been sold PPI by the bank, yet they did not even make the effort to check if you had any when you ran into health problems back in 2010, seems to condemn them by their very inaction. This would be worth trying to get sorted ASAP, as it is possible that you could show that many of the penalties you were charged would NOT have been incurred if you were not paying for mis-sold PPI all that time.

Comment

Oh God Tutts,
          I really am sorry to hear that you too have had some serious health issues to battle... are you on the mend now? Is there any way they can get rid of this last bit of cancer? It always seems that the people who fight the hardest to help others are the ones that get hit the hardest with the most difficult challenges... knocks you for six doesn't it hun?! The important thing though (in the words of Chumbawumba) is that ' I get knocked down but I get up again....;-)' Hope that you keep yourself in good health and are looking after yourself hun? Keep positive and remember to look out for you in the way that you do for others, ok? I'm sending lots of positive energy and good vibes your way :-)
          Seems your site name is both prophetic and apt, so keep on winning those battles kid.

Re. Co-op and PPI, I can't remember where or when I read it, but I seem to recall them saying something along the lines of anyone who claims against them with the PPI, they will take any funds won by the client to offset against any outstanding debt. I'm surmising that even if I did win back any PPI claim, they would probably just snaffle it and say thanks for repaying the £1,145 you owe us... cos they are that cheeky! (at least Dick Turpin wore a bloody mask!) Still, its got to be worth a shout. I found the document outlining the terms & conditions of this 'insurance' but I've no clue as to how much they were actually charging me to be honest? I know I had the account for 9 years though. The account closed when I stopped having my money paid into it (because they were taking it in snowballing bank charges). I'm not sure how I would go about trying to claim back PPI now the account has been redundant for a few years? (Maybe check on MSE website?) My Dad says that Lloyds have pretty much been paying out without question as they just want an end to it. They even re-opened a building they had earmarked for sale, purely to house the offices dealing with PPI claims in our city... I somehow suspect the ethical bank will put up more of a fight to give anything back though... That said, I've nothing to lose really. I'll check on their site Tutts and make a formal request in writing. As you say, the FOS can't do anything to 'mediate' unless I've had a final answer and/or flat refusal from the bank. So, benefit of the doubt again seems to be in order.... Please look after yourself Tutts and many thanks for all your invaluable help along with other forum members; you have no idea what an invaluable support you guys have always been and still are. Thinking of you and hope you stay on the right road of recovery;-) Big hugs, CatXXX

Paper clips - the larval stage of coat-hangers!

Comment

Thanks Bill,
            I agree entirely about keeping it separate for simplicity sake. I think I need to re-familiarise myself with the site here to post a new thread. Sounds a bit silly maybe but sometimes seemingly simple tasks don't seem quite as straightforward as they used to pre-brain aneurysm... (or else age is catching up with me ... or perhaps a bit of both, Lol) Still, good to feel the old 'fight' making a comeback though;-) Appreciate the input and advice from the fabulous minds here :-) Thanks again, CatXxx

Comment

Thanks for posting that link Titts; I've just printed off the FOS questionnaire form and shall get to work on filling that in and writing to the Co-op bank.
              Many thanks again Catxxx

Comment

Just a qick suggestion, Cat. You may find it useful to send them a DSAR (Data Subject Access Request) BEFORE you make a PPI claim. This will cost £10, but they are obliged to send you copies of ALL data they hold on you - including statements. This usually only covers the past 6 years, though - but if you have enough genuine figures, you can estimate the earlier ones. Unfortunately, they are entitled to offset your claim against money you owe them. However, you may be able to reclaim a significant amount of the penalty charges incurred as a result of the mis-sold PPI premiums being charged. But I would deffo send them the DSAR BEFORE you let them know what you will be reclaiming - as the banks are able to 'lose' data items that they don't want us to have.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X