• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to Amend your Claim - CPR Practicalities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Amend your Claim - CPR Practicalities

1: Complete form N244 Application asking the court for permission to amend the claim. You will need to pay a fee (application without consent £155) unless you qualify for fee remission (form EX160A)

2: It is preferable to attach the proposed amended statement of case to the N244

- you need THREE copies of the amendments
    - You must strike through anything you are changing on the original claim in RED
    - The new statement must be in RED/underlines in RED
    - The new statement should be titled ' Amended Particulars of Claim/Defence under CPR rule 17.1(2)b dated XXXXXXXXXX'

================================================== ==========

Civil Procedure Rules

Amendments to statements of case

(1) A party may amend his statement of case at any time before it has been served on any other party.

(2) If his statement of case has been served, a party may amend it only –
    (a) with the written consent of all the other parties; or

(b) with the permission of the court.

(3) If a statement of case has been served, an application to amend it by removing, adding or substituting a party must be made in accordance with rule 19.4.

(Part 22 requires amendments to a statement of case to be verified by a statement of truth unless the court orders otherwise)

Power of court to disallow amendments made without permission

(1) If a party has amended his statement of case where permission of the court was not required, the court may disallow the amendment.

(2) A party may apply to the court for an order under paragraph (1) within 14 days of service of a copy of the amended statement of case on him.

Amendments to statements of case with the permission of the court

(1) Where the court gives permission for a party to amend his statement of case, it may give directions as to –
    (a) amendments to be made to any other statement of case; and

(b) service of any amended statement of case.

(2) The power of the court to give permission under this rule is subject to –
    (a) rule 19.1 (change of parties – general);

(b) rule 19.4 (special provisions about adding or substituting parties after the end of a relevant limitation period(GL)); and

(c) rule 17.4 (amendments of statement of case after the end of a relevant limitation period).

Amendments to statements of case after the end of a relevant limitation period

(1) This rule applies where –
    (a) a party applies to amend his statement of case in one of the ways mentioned in this rule; and

(b) a period of limitation has expired under –
    (i) the Limitation Act 19801;

(ii) the Foreign Limitation Periods Act 19842; or

(iii) any other enactment which allows such an amendment, or under which such an amendment is allowed.

(2) The court may allow an amendment whose effect will be to add or substitute a new claim, but only if the new claim arises out of the same facts or substantially the same facts as a claim in respect of which the party applying for permission has already claimed a remedy in the proceedings.

(3) The court may allow an amendment to correct a mistake as to the name of a party, but only where the mistake was genuine and not one which would cause reasonable doubt as to the identity of the party in question.

(4) The court may allow an amendment to alter the capacity in which a party claims if the new capacity is one which that party had when the proceedings started or has since acquired.
    (Rule 19.5 specifies the circumstances in which the court may allow a new party to be added or substituted after the end of a relevant limitation period(GL))

Practise Direction

A party applying for an amendment will usually be responsible for the costs of and arising from the amendment.

Applications to amend where the permission of the court is required

The application may be dealt with at a hearing or, if rule 23.8 applies, without a hearing.

When making an application to amend a statement of case, the applicant should file with the court:
    (1) the application notice, and

(2) a copy of the statement of case with the proposed amendments.

Where permission to amend has been given, the applicant should within 14 days of the date of the order, or within such other period as the court may direct, file with the court the amended statement of case.

If the substance of the statement of case is changed by reason of the amendment, the statement of case should be re-verified by a statement of truth1.

A copy of the order and the amended statement of case should be served on every party to the proceedings, unless the court orders otherwise.

General

The amended statement of case and the court copy of it should be endorsed as follows:
    (1) where the court’s permission was required:
    Amended [Particulars of Claim or as may be] by Order of [Master ............][District Judge .............. or as may be] dated...............

(2) Where the court’s permission was not required:
    Amended [Particulars of Claim or as may be] under CPR [rule 17.1(1) or (2)(a)] dated..................

The statement of case in its amended form need not show the original text. However, where the court thinks it desirable for both the original text and the amendments to be shown, the court may direct that the amendments should be shown either:
    (1) by coloured amendments, either manuscript or computer generated, or

(2) by use of a numerical code in a monochrome computer generated document.

Where colour is used, the text to be deleted should be struck through in colour and any text replacing it should be inserted or underlined in the same colour.

The order of colours to be used for successive amendments is: (1) red, (2) green, (3) violet and (4) yellow.

(For information about changes to parties see Part 19 and the practice direction which supplements it.)

PRACTICE DIRECTION UNFAIR RELATIONSHIPS - Ministry of Justice

The Consumer Credit Act procedure

In the types of claim to which paragraph 3 applies the court will fix a hearing date on the issue of the claim form.

The particulars of claim must be served with the claim form.

Where a claimant is using the Consumer Credit Act procedure, the defendant to the claim is not required to:
    (1) serve an acknowledgment of service, or

(2) file a defence, although he may choose to do so.

Where a defendant intends to defend a claim, his defence should be filed within 14 days of service of the particulars of claim. If the defendant fails to file a defence within this period, but later relies on it, the court may take such a failure into account as a factor when deciding what order to make about costs.

Part 12 (default judgment) does not apply where the claimant is using the Consumer Credit Act procedure.

Each party must be given at least 28 days’ notice of the hearing date.

Where the claimant serves the claim form, he must serve notice of the hearing date at the same time, unless the hearing date is specified in the claim form.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 23rd June 2015, 09:51:AM. Reason: updating court fee
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: How to Amend your Claim - CPR Practicalities

I have claim the defendant wants to have thrown out. one of the reasons relate to legislation which didn't begin when the incident i'm claiming for occured. I want to ammend the claim to include the sale of goods and services act and consumer protection from unfair trading. do i need to fill in a N244
    form?

Comment

If you wish to amend a claim that has already been filed, you will need to complete and file an N244.

Comment

i need to know what the practice directions are for claims
        made under consumer protection from unfair trading regulation
        2008 and the sale of goods and services act 1982.

my claim will be struck out otherwise.

Comment

n244 form do you need to fill this form out. If you are amending under 17.1 (1)
          I spotted a typo in my submissions. I did not put the word NOT in the statement which totally changes what I want to say. So do I have to film the n244 form out and how do you fill that form out. I have only submitted the claim yesterday so it has not been processed yet, I will rush up there tomorrow to submit this. I would rather 17.1 (1) than seek permission when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            1: Complete form N244 Application asking the court for permission to amend the claim. You will need to pay a fee (application without consent £75) unless you qualify for fee remission (form EX160A)

2: It is preferable to attach the proposed amended statement of case to the N244

- you need THREE copies of the amendments
            - You must strike through anything you are changing on the original claim in RED
            - The new statement must be in RED/underlines in RED
            - The new statement should be titled ' Amended Particulars of Claim under CPR rule 17.1(2)b dated XXXXXXXXXX'

================================================== ==========

Civil Procedure Rules

Amendments to statements of case

(1) A party may amend his statement of case at any time before it has been served on any other party.

(2) If his statement of case has been served, a party may amend it only –
            (a) with the written consent of all the other parties; or

(b) with the permission of the court.

(3) If a statement of case has been served, an application to amend it by removing, adding or substituting a party must be made in accordance with rule 19.4.

(Part 22 requires amendments to a statement of case to be verified by a statement of truth unless the court orders otherwise)

Power of court to disallow amendments made without permission

(1) If a party has amended his statement of case where permission of the court was not required, the court may disallow the amendment.

(2) A party may apply to the court for an order under paragraph (1) within 14 days of service of a copy of the amended statement of case on him.

Amendments to statements of case with the permission of the court

(1) Where the court gives permission for a party to amend his statement of case, it may give directions as to –
            (a) amendments to be made to any other statement of case; and

(b) service of any amended statement of case.

(2) The power of the court to give permission under this rule is subject to –
            (a) rule 19.1 (change of parties – general);

(b) rule 19.4 (special provisions about adding or substituting parties after the end of a relevant limitation period(GL)); and

(c) rule 17.4 (amendments of statement of case after the end of a relevant limitation period).

Hello
            Can anyone tell me if an amended Defence totally overrides teh original unamended defence.?
            My reason for asking is that I amended my defence by order of the judge at the allocation hearing. The original defence was included in the trial bundle, but the only defence I used was the amended defence. So far as I was concerned, the original defence was there purely for the record.
            At the trial, the judge used material from my original unamended defence, which was harmful to my case. I thought that my case would only be based on my amended defence.
            Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Amendments to statements of case after the end of a relevant limitation period

(1) This rule applies where –
            (a) a party applies to amend his statement of case in one of the ways mentioned in this rule; and

(b) a period of limitation has expired under –
            (i) the Limitation Act 19801;

(ii) the Foreign Limitation Periods Act 19842; or

(iii) any other enactment which allows such an amendment, or under which such an amendment is allowed.

(2) The court may allow an amendment whose effect will be to add or substitute a new claim, but only if the new claim arises out of the same facts or substantially the same facts as a claim in respect of which the party applying for permission has already claimed a remedy in the proceedings.

(3) The court may allow an amendment to correct a mistake as to the name of a party, but only where the mistake was genuine and not one which would cause reasonable doubt as to the identity of the party in question.

(4) The court may allow an amendment to alter the capacity in which a party claims if the new capacity is one which that party had when the proceedings started or has since acquired.
            (Rule 19.5 specifies the circumstances in which the court may allow a new party to be added or substituted after the end of a relevant limitation period(GL))

Practise Direction

A party applying for an amendment will usually be responsible for the costs of and arising from the amendment.

Applications to amend where the permission of the court is required

The application may be dealt with at a hearing or, if rule 23.8 applies, without a hearing.

When making an application to amend a statement of case, the applicant should file with the court:
            (1) the application notice, and

(2) a copy of the statement of case with the proposed amendments.

Where permission to amend has been given, the applicant should within 14 days of the date of the order, or within such other period as the court may direct, file with the court the amended statement of case.

If the substance of the statement of case is changed by reason of the amendment, the statement of case should be re-verified by a statement of truth1.

A copy of the order and the amended statement of case should be served on every party to the proceedings, unless the court orders otherwise.

General

The amended statement of case and the court copy of it should be endorsed as follows:
            (1) where the court’s permission was required:
            Amended [Particulars of Claim or as may be] by Order of [Master ............][District Judge .............. or as may be] dated...............

(2) Where the court’s permission was not required:
            Amended [Particulars of Claim or as may be] under CPR [rule 17.1(1) or (2)(a)] dated..................

The statement of case in its amended form need not show the original text. However, where the court thinks it desirable for both the original text and the amendments to be shown, the court may direct that the amendments should be shown either:
            (1) by coloured amendments, either manuscript or computer generated, or

(2) by use of a numerical code in a monochrome computer generated document.

Where colour is used, the text to be deleted should be struck through in colour and any text replacing it should be inserted or underlined in the same colour.

The order of colours to be used for successive amendments is: (1) red, (2) green, (3) violet and (4) yellow.

(For information about changes to parties see Part 19 and the practice direction which supplements it.)

PRACTICE DIRECTION UNFAIR RELATIONSHIPS - Ministry of Justice

The Consumer Credit Act procedure

In the types of claim to which paragraph 3 applies the court will fix a hearing date on the issue of the claim form.

The particulars of claim must be served with the claim form.

Where a claimant is using the Consumer Credit Act procedure, the defendant to the claim is not required to:
            (1) serve an acknowledgment of service, or

(2) file a defence, although he may choose to do so.

Where a defendant intends to defend a claim, his defence should be filed within 14 days of service of the particulars of claim. If the defendant fails to file a defence within this period, but later relies on it, the court may take such a failure into account as a factor when deciding what order to make about costs.

Part 12 (default judgment) does not apply where the claimant is using the Consumer Credit Act procedure.

Each party must be given at least 28 days’ notice of the hearing date.

Where the claimant serves the claim form, he must serve notice of the hearing date at the same time, unless the hearing date is specified in the claim form.
            Hello

Can anyone tell me if an amended defence completely overrides the original un-amended defence.?
            My reason for asking is that, at the allocation hearing I was ordered to amend my defence by the judge.
            At the trial the original unamended defence was in the trial bundle, but so far as i was concerned it was there as a matter of record. I only used my amended defence as the basis of my defence..
            However, the judge quoted material from my original unamended defence, which harmed my case.
            I thought that only my amended defence would count.
            Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
            Thanks for any tips.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X