• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rental Notice Period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Notice Period

Hi all

Just need a second opinion on this one folks!

I am moving out of my cottage on the 12th of February. I have given my land lady 1 months notice in writing.

I moved in on 21st November 2008, new 6m tenancy issued on 21st May 2009, expired 21st November 2009.

Since then no new agreement.

I pay rent on 1st of each month by S/O

My landlady is asking that I pay rent till 1st March 2010.

I've checked the agreement and it states this:

9.2 The Tenant may end this Agreement by giving the landlord at least one month notice in writing that he will give up possession of the Property on a date specified in the notice letter.
    The notice must expire at the end of a rental period. The notice may be given at any time but cannot expire before the end of the Expiry of this Agreement. If the tenant stays beyond the end of the fixed term, a new tenancy will arise that will run month to month or week to week. If you give up possession on a date earlier than the date specified in the written notice, the tenancy will end on the date specified in the notice letter.

She has no deposit to withhold.

But she knows our new land lord and I don't want any problems.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Re: Rental Notice Period

Well in the absence of no new tenancy being issued after 1 November surely a new tenancy will arise that will run month to month or week to week would apply?

Do you know how she arrived at 1st March?

Comment

She is saying 1st of March merely because that happens to be the date the rent is paid on.

At the very most I would have thought the 21st of February...but even that is unclear because she did not inform me the tenancy was either 'month to month or week to week'.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Is the rent paid in advance?

Comment

Yes it sure is

Comment

Well I definitely cannot understand her reasoning for the date then.

Comment

As I see it if you moved in on the 21st and then paid your 1st payment on the 1st if the month.
              Then you are paying in the middle of the month basically.
              If you gave 1 months notice on 12th Jan to move out on 12th Feb then your payment made on the 1st of Jan will run from 22nd dec to 21st Jan, the payment made on 1st Feb will run to from 22nd Jan 21st Feb. If you are going to pay your Feb DD then I can't see how she can possibly make you pay another payment 1st March cause you will be paying your rent up until 21st march.

Comment

Unless there was a pro-rata payment to adjust for the difference between 21st and 1st your agreement runs from 21st to 20th of each month.
                When the second 6 month contract expired you automatically revert to a month to month setting. In theory 21-20 rather than Calander month as is more usual.

Assuming the adjustment payment then you should be paying rent to the end of Feb, basically the 1st march as ref'd earlier.

It really depends on how hard you want to fight this.
                Me, I enforce rental periods and expect only to pay what I need to.
                As both of your landlords know each other it maybe worth pointing put the 21st date to your old one, simply to keep the peace.
                This would be reasonable, assuming no pro-rata adjustment payment was made.

Hope that makes some sense.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X