• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

baliffs chasing a 4 year old debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baliffs chasing a 4 year old debt

hi all im new to this but i was recently contacted by equita ballifs saying i owed council tax debts from 2006.i am currently in disbute with the council over the amount as they have got it wrong plus all this has come as a shock as ive had no prior letters about these debts can someone give me some advice as how i go on as by sounds of most the amount per month i am willing to pay back will not be enough

Re: baliffs chasing a 4 year old debt

Unless you have a figure that you are satisfied is correct, you should not be making any arrangements to pay anything, either monthly or otherwise. Do you admit that you owe something, but you are not aware of precisely how much?

Read the bailiff guide for details on what to do. This can be found here Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles

Comment

i prob do owe something but the council have admited its the wrong amount and are gonna calculate the amount i do owe.think im just shocked that i have been paying council tax for 2 years now at my current address and i have not received any outstanding balance letters then all of a sudden it goes to a ballifs firm.

what will happen if i can not agree a amount with ballifs per month i am willing to pay as i think they amount i can afford and the amount the ballifs want will be miles apart

Comment

You need to explain this to your council and insist that they recall the debt from the bailiffs. Preferably, you need to do this in writing.

Comment

cheers i am in the process of doing this just so stressed out about it as not like i dont want to pay but dont like the fact balliffs are involved and think they will try bully me to pay more then i can afford

Comment

Hi All just a quick update only recieved letter about debt last week and today i have recieved a notice to remove goods giving me 2 weeks to pay debt or goods will be removed .where do i stand on this as its my 1st dealing ballifs so am very stressed about it plus all seems abit quick when only got letter about debt last week

Comment

You need click the link in post #2 and read the bailiff guide.

Try not to panic and post back with any questions once you have read it.

Comment

am i correct in thinking because the council have admited getting the amount wrong.the debt will return to the council as a liablity order is only of the amount stated and can not be altered

Comment

A Liability Order simply gives a local authority powers to enforce payment of a council tax debt and it is not a debt collection instrument itself. The granting of a Liability Order means that the council will have certain powers and rights, such as the authority to instruct enforcement agents to recover the arrears. If the amount is incorrect and the council know this, they will not (or should not) use any of those powers or rights until the correct amount has been communicated to you and you have been given the opportunity to pay it.

Comment

thanks for that
                    rang equita ballifs up about this and they said they will not stop procedings against me till the council instruct them to do so. i have sent a letter to council saying debt amount is wrong and i would like them to take debt back and i will pay them direct as i feel they have not given me enough chances to pay a debt i didnt know i had .

Comment

Do not contact the bailiff again and certainly not via telephone. Instead pay the council in any case since you do owe them something. Do not wait for their permission for this.

Comment

no problem was thinking of doing that as equita have not been helpfull at all would rather just deal with council

Comment

Equita will not help you because they will not get paid if the debt is returned to the council.

Comment

just had another letter from equita asking me to get in touch but aparently the liablity order is from august 2007 is there a time limit on liablity orders ?

also had a response from council basicly telling me to deal with equita they say i am aware of debt and have attended court on several occasions which i am shocked as never attended court and only knew about these debts when ballifs letter apeared

Comment

You need to write a stronger letter of complaint to the council about this and it should include the amount you believe is owing and detail your proposed payment arrangements. I would also copy in your MP.

Do not wait for the council's agreement to this because you more than likely will not get it. Local councils tend to say what you have posted above - that the debt is with the bailiffs and there is nothing they can do.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X