• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Would Anyone Know The Answer Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Anyone Know The Answer Please

Hi all
    Last year I reclaimed £1500 in charges from the Halifax out of £2,030 I was charged, they repaid this after 1 letter requesting a refund and at first offered me £800 ( they phoned me up ) and I refused saying I would go to court, the guy then asked me how much I would be prepared to accept and as I was on the spot I said £1500 which he agreed, I got a letter to accept in full and final settlement which i returned and they paid me a few days later, ive now discovered that all the charges I paid were taken out of my working and family tax credit, and my little boys DLA, as this is the account that all our benefits are paid into and all our monthly DDs are paid, also ive since had another 2 charges of £39, my question is this, due to the recently publicised article regarding the banks and social security benifits, would the bank be obliged to repay the other £530, even though I signed in full and final settlement, could anyone please advise, they did state at the time that they were reserving the right to close my account if i reclaimed again but ive already opened another account..B

Re: Would Anyone Know The Answer Please

I think the full and final settlement part is not worth the paper it is written on, I would say yes, you are entitled to all your money back.

Comment

Thanks Amy,
      Looks like another letter in the post to them for the rest of my money..B

Comment

I tend to disagree slightly, amy, sorry.
        The game is up as far as that particular claim goes, but as amy has quite rightly put it you are entitled to all your money back so there is certainly nothing stopping you from claiming back the charges levied on your account since.

It might be worth reminding them that they paid up once before and that you are more than prepared to take them to court if necessary. I worked for me.

however, this is my opinion only and is not set in stone
        muggins73:crazy:

Comment

Originally posted by muggins73 View Post
          I tend to disagree slightly, amy, sorry.
          The game is up as far as that particular claim goes
          Why is that?

Comment

I know Halifax will defend at court with the defense of 'It was a final setlement' as that is what their defence was with my wasted costs claim.

Comment

Granted Baxters claim had not yet reached the court stage, and for all intents and purposes, it could be argued as such. However, the fact that an agreement had been reached 'in full and final settlement' would be deemed as such, IMHO by any DJ.
              I agree for most part it is not worth the paper it is printed on, but in the eyes of the court it would not seem appropriate to change ones mind. All our actions, and that is true of the banks, have to be deemed as being fair and reasonable. The fact that Baxter stated the amount he/she wished to be paid and was will be deemed as being fair and reasonable.

Again, this is my opinion and is not written in stone!!!

Comment

For a case to be settled in 'full and final settlement' means that 'consideration' has to be shown.

This means that each party must give something of value in return for something else.

Halifax offered to return Baxter's charges, which was not the full amount, therefore consideration has not been shown. So it doesn't matter whether Baxter accepted or not.

Comment

I am the last person to stick up for Halifax or any other banks for that matter, and do not intend to start now. However, if Baxter had asked for the full amount instead of the £1500, who's to know that they would've refused? Unlikely I know considering the way in which they've conducted themselves previously, but something I feel is worth mentioning.
                  In the hope of failing to give Halifaxs solicitors additional ammo, I think the best way forward in this instance would be to treat the two issues seperately, and start afresh.
                  It was not my intention to offend you in any way, or belittle your comments. You and I could argue about the virtues of it all until we are blue in the face, I'm sure, but it's something I'm just not prepared to do. After all we are all entitled to our opinions, which is why these forums are such good ideas.

At the end of the day it is Baxters choice of how to proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by muggins73 View Post
                    I am the last person to stick up for Halifax or any other banks for that matter, and do not intend to start now. However, if Baxter had asked for the full amount instead of the £1500, who's to know that they would've refused?
                    This is completely irrelevant because it did not happen.

It was not my intention to offend you in any way, or belittle your comments.
                    You haven't at all.

All this aside, my comments still stand - consideration by both parties has not been shown, so there is no reason why Baxter should not go for the outstanding amount.

Comment

Thanks very much for all your comments and advise, to be honest I was shocked when after writing only one letter to the halifax, I recieved a phone call from one of their guys to negotiate a settlement, Ive since read in others threads on another site that the Halifax were fighting them in court, then I began to think that they paid me because I have cash in a savings account (from when I remortgaged my family home to pay for repairs to the run down property I bought to run my business from), and there is still a few thousand pounds in the account for my new roof, they may think its savings, so maybe thats why they repaid without any fuss, anyway, would you think the best way forward is to write to them again, Quoting the social security act, claim I was unaware that they could not take my benefits for penalty charges and ask for them back, as well as the 2 x £39 they charged since, it may be worth a try..B

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                        This is completely irrelevant because it did not happen.
                        Precisely my point!!!!!

You haven't at all.
                        I'm sooo glad, I do not like upsetting folks.

All this aside, my comments still stand - consideration by both parties has not been shown, so there is no reason why Baxter should not go for the outstanding amount.
                        This is something we definitely agree on, but as a seperate issue...as charges levied on the account since the settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by Baxter View Post
                          Thanks very much for all your comments and advise, to be honest I was shocked when after writing only one letter to the halifax, I recieved a phone call from one of their guys to negotiate a settlement, Ive since read in others threads on another site that the Halifax were fighting them in court, then I began to think that they paid me because I have cash in a savings account (from when I remortgaged my family home to pay for repairs to the run down property I bought to run my business from), and there is still a few thousand pounds in the account for my new roof, they may think its savings, so maybe thats why they repaid without any fuss, anyway, would you think the best way forward is to write to them again, Quoting the social security act, claim I was unaware that they could not take my benefits for penalty charges and ask for them back, as well as the 2 x £39 they charged since, it may be worth a try..B
                          Hi baxter,
                          Having a sum of money in a savings account may have swayed them, who knows.
                          As for the benefits stance, its worth a try, they can only say no cant they

Comment

Yes of course, what have I got to loose, I think i'l give it a go, see how far I can push it, they'l no doubt tell me to bugger off and take my business elsewhere, but hey, im prepared for that, I'l let you know when I recieve the fall out from this one, ears plugged I think :roll:B

Comment

Shall we clear this up once and for all?

The mere fact of agreement alone does not make a contract. Both parties to the contract must provide consideration if they wish to enforce the contract. In this case this means that each side must promise to give or do something for the other, unless the agreement was made by deed, then consideration is not needed.

With an offer in full and final settlement our consideration consists of a promise not to sue for the remainder. However, Halifax have not provided any consideration because they are only giving back what in law belongs to us.

See Currie v Misa (1875) LR 10 Exch 153 and Dunlop v Selfridge Ltd [1915] AC 847 for definitions of contractual consideration.

In this case, should Halifax wish to enforce the settlement agreement and deny paying the remainder, they must show that they provided consideration and that consideration "moved from" them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X