• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bailiffs wont accept my offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bailiffs wont accept my offer

i have made an offer to pay my council tax debt of £870 at £100 per month however the the company dealing with this insists i pay £150 per month, i have made 3 payments of £100 and now they are threatening to send a bailiff to remove goods (can they do this?) i called them today and tried to resolve this problem , i politley informed them that this was all i could afford to pay currently and asked for an agreement to be set at the £100 per month i was offering ...... her response was to tell me that there was nothing she could do and she had to end the call then the line went dead........what can i do?

Re: bailiffs wont accept my offer

You need to have a read of this guide Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles

Do you know how much of this £870 is actually due in council tax?

Has the bailiff been granted entry to your property previously?

Comment

i believe the council tax is £760 and i have a list of charges , i am willing to pay this debt but have found this company unwilling to accept an amount i can realistically afford
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      the bailiff has not entered the property but has levied my car against this debt
      Last edited by MrG; 10th December 2009, 20:28:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by MrG View Post
        i am willing to pay this debt but have found this company unwilling to accept an amount i can realistically afford
        So don't pay them. Instead pay the council. The bailiff company are not interested in helping you, they simply want what you owe and then some. You are quite within your rights to make your payments to the council.

the bailiff has not entered the property but has levied my car against this debt
        This is unlawful, but he will have added yet more fees to your account for this levy and you will need to argue the validity of this fee with the bailiff by sending a SAR as advised earlier.

Comment

but if i dont pay them what they are asking for they say they will send a van to recover goods.......will paying the council stop this

Comment

They can send as many vans as they like, it won't do them any good as long as you have not previously granted them peaceful entry, which you have already said you have not done. Therefore, there is nothing a bailiff company can do other than return the debt to the council.

Have you read the bailiff guide link I gave you earlier?

Comment

i have read it thanks , i have not allowed them into my home however as i said they levied my car and i signed a form and i have made 3 payments totalling £300 in the last 2 months .

Comment

i have read it thanks , i have not allowed them into my home however as i said they levied my car and i signed a form and i have made 3 payments totalling £300 in the last 2 months .
                What exactly did you sign? What is the wording?

Comment

its a walking possession agreement

Comment

its a walking possession agreement
                    Had you have mentioned you signed a walking possession from the outset, my advice would have been different.

However, if you can elaborate on what exactly is covered on the walking possession, that might be helpful.

Comment

sorry i did mention id signed a form but didnt know what it was ......... the bailiff has not entered my home and only covered my car on the walking possesion , as i say i am willing to pay this debt but they say i have defaulted on the agreement of £150 per month which is a sum i never agreed to , i have only paid the £100 a month i offered but yesterday paid an extra £100

Comment

will the bailiff be able to enter my home even though i have never allowed him to in the past...
                        will the council be able to accept payment even though i have already made payments to bailffs.....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X