• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Virgin/MBNA PPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin/MBNA PPI

Hi,

My S.A.R request finally arrived from MBNA and whilst going through looking for charges I suddenly remembered that I had PPI applied to this account. It seems to have started right from the beginning, certainly its there at the first entry on my charges sheet which starts in 2003 and continues up until the middle of 2007 when I cancelled it after seeing Martin Lewis talking about it on TV and that was that. I hadnt realised there was a possible chance of a miss-selling claim until very recently.

But do I have a valid claim?

At the time when the account was opened I was a full time student with a part time job, working once a week at a gas station. A temporary job which I was due to leave once I graduated. (In fact I left a year early in order to fully concentrate on my studies in my last year.) Going through the call log there is no mention of it so I was never made fully aware of what it actually entailed and it was never explained to me fully and if it was appropriate to my situation. However also in the SAR was my credit agreement in which I had ticked the PPI box although I never remember ticking it. None of my other cards had it.

Is this a pursuable claim or is it a non-starter? It would be handy as there is money on this card and the reclaimed premiums could wipe out a third of the balance.

Can anybody who may have been in a similar situation advise on how to tackle this one?

Thanks

:emptybath:

Re: Virgin/MBNA PPI

Ok Bathtub, yes IMO you have a very good claim to get your PPI repaid to you plus interest.
    HERE is the prelim letter and the info you need to start you on your way.
    If you need any more help getting started just give a shout.
    Enaid x

Comment

Okay im going to go for it.

I have crafted a letter basically saying that as a full-time student with a part time temporary job it was not applied in my best interests. I also added bits about general issues, policy was never fully explained to me, that sort of thing.

The letter should hopefully go out tomorrow, ill let you know how i get on!

Thanks

Comment

There is a letter already outlined for you on here, just adapt to suit you.
        You will find it HERE

Comment

Aye, thats the letter I used! When I said 'crafted' I really meant that I used it as a basis and then put in the bits that were relevant to me. And as sentences as advised in the post to give it the personal touch!

I was being rather florid, sorry for the confusion! :tung:

Comment

No probs, sorry I misunderstood you, it's me age lol
            Good Luck enaid x

Comment

Hiya,

Small update, had a phone call last night from MBNA 'hoping to resolve the issue today.' They then said that they had sent out terms and conditions to me and reeled off the dates and asked I remember them. I genuinely didnt. Apparently I had agreed to the PPI during a phone call in 2002 which I suspect was the activation card phone call.

They then said if I could provide proof of my temporary job, but it was such a long time ago I didnt have any. They then put me on hold and then came back and said if I can provide proof of my Student Full time status and National Insurance Contributions 'then we can proceed with your enquiry'.

So I guess thats what I have to do. I think the Student bit will be easy, for NIC, does anyone familiar with HMRC know how one would get a hold of such information?

:christmas3:

Comment

Hi, got a letter today saying that even though I was a student I would have been eligible for PPC, but if I wasn't paying any National Insurance Contributions they could proceed with the claim. I rang up the NIC help line and it seems I did pay contributions that year, although with shortfalls.

So I guess this claim is dead in the water. I did ask for a copy of the NIC year statement so I shall send it anyway to see what they say, but I dont hold out much hope.

Comment

Hiya

Small update. I finally got my NIC statement delivered. During 2001 - 2002 (the year in which the PPI was applied) I paid a total of 96p in N I Contributions. I have sent off a copy to MBNA, see what the verdict is.

Comment

Good luck bathtub, I am pleased you havent given up yet on this, keep us informed they may still be things can be done hopefully.
                    Enaid x

Comment

Bathtub this is the main reason you were mis sold the PPI, this did not apply to you and therefore the PPI was of no use to you.
                      The letter you have sent off what did it say?

You are in Full time employment – Some policies define Full time employment as being working Over 16 Hours per week and that you have been in full time employment for at least 6 Months prior to the start date of the policy.

Comment

Hiya enaid,

Yes, that was the main thrust of the letter, that because I was a full time student with a part time job and the PPI was ultimately useless to me.

They wrote back saying that 'even though you were a student you may have been eligible for a claim' and then goes on to talk about National Insurance Contributions. Hopefully the fact that I only paid 96 pence that year will prove to them that I wasn't working enough to be eligible for the PPI, certainly not at the time when the policy was activated, which is the time they are particularly keen on knowing about.
                        Last edited by BathTub; 9th February 2010, 10:16:AM. Reason: Bad Grammar

Comment

Arrrgh!

I sent off the NI sheet at the beginning of Febuary. At the start off March I had heard nothing so I sent off another letter asking what's going on and another copy of the NI sheet. Got a reply saying they will get back to me by 6th April. Got another letter this Friday dated 6th April saying that it's taking longer than expected and hope to have a reply by 5th May!

:doggieyes:

Comment

You sent off the N1 to who?

Comment

Yaaaay!

I finally got a response from MBNA yesterday! The upshot is that 'as a gesture of goodwill' they have arranged an immediate refund of all premiums and associated interest to the tune of £1023.90!

Of course there is no indication of how they came to this figure but I combed through my statements and I paid a total of £873.50 in premiums, so they have added 150.40 in 'associated interest'

:beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X