• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Walking Possession Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking Possession Order

Hi, I'm a newbie. I owe a small amount of around £300 in Council Tax & have been pursued by Rossendales. They have posted a walking possession order through my door against a car in my name. The letter says they will take impound or take possession of the car if the bill is not paid. I am able to pay the bill in 2 or 3 installments.

Can they take the car if the walking possession order is not signed by me?

(The car is in my name for insurance purposes only, but it belongs to my wife). My life wouldn't be worth living if she finds out about this... please help.
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    Also, can anyone tell me if I am able to totally bypass the bailiff & deal directly with The Council? When a got into financial difficulty a few years ago, I seem to remember that I ignored the bailiff & contacted the council direct to make an arrangement.
    Last edited by ajm1; 3rd September 2009, 17:59:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Re: Walking Possession Order

Originally posted by ajm1 View Post
    (The car is in my name for insurance purposes only, but it belongs to my wife). My life wouldn't be worth living if she finds out about this... please help.
    Unfortunately, a vehicle is the easiest option for a bailiff to levy on as it causes maximum inconvenience and as such usually means the debtor will pay up sooner rather than later.

If I were you, I'd keep the car somewhere else.

Although you say the car is not in your name, the onus is on you to prove ownership to the bailiffs, rather than for them to prove you are the owner. However, if you move the vehicle out of their reach this problem is solved.

Also, can anyone tell me if I am able to totally bypass the bailiff & deal directly with The Council? When a got into financial difficulty a few years ago, I seem to remember that I ignored the bailiff & contacted the council direct to make an arrangement.
    Yes you can do this and you should start this as soon as possible. I assume you have a Liability Order against you?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the car IS in my name, but my wife drives it. I just want to know if they are actually able to seize it for non payment, if I haven't signed the WPO.

Yes, I have a liability order for the council tax, I've just managed to get a little cash together & would prefer to deal with the council direct.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the car IS in my name, but my wife drives it. I just want to know if they are actually able to seize it for non payment, if I haven't signed the WPO.
        The WPO will not be valid if it has simply been posted through your door, but as I have said above, seizing the vehicle is the easiest option for a bailiff and you should consider moving it.

Yes, I have a liability order for the council tax, I've just managed to get a little cash together & would prefer to deal with the council direct.
        Write to the council and start to repay the debt. They will probably try to dissuade you from doing this directly with them if you telephone, so write to them and include a payment if you can.

Comment

Hi Amy

Why would the WPO not be valid if it has just simply been posted through the door?

Comment

Originally posted by webboc View Post
            Hi Amy

Why would the WPO not be valid if it has just simply been posted through the door?
            For council tax debt a bailiff is not legally entitled to break in to your property, he must first gain peaceful entry. Therefore he cannot make a levy on goods he has not seen if he doesn't know you have them in the first place. Looking through a window is not sufficient.

Also, the WPO is a contract between the bailiff and the debtor - you agree to pay your debt off and so long as you make the agreed repayments he will not sell your goods that (if the WPO is valid) are legally his. A WPO should be signed by both. Some people argue that a WPO doesn't have to be signed, but I would argue against this.

Have a read of the bailiff guide here Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles for fuller details.

Comment

Thanks Amy - most appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X