• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas Default of credit file, help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Default of credit file, help please

Hi guys, i have posted this in utilities but thought someone over here maybe able to assist too

I moved home in Dec 2007 British Gas was my supplier

On the date of competion we informed BG of the sale and gave new name of owners whilst in estate agents office.. Also gave new address.

Had outstanding bill i assumed (stupidly) they would send on to me. I accept this is my fault for not remembering i hadnt had the bill..

Mail was re directed for months, 6 no mail from BG at new house.

2008 was a very trying year for us as a family - wont go into detail, but i am trying to paint a picture as to why i didnt remember we hadnt had BG bill.

Anyway, oct 2008 ish i got a letter from a DCA for a bill for £700 from previous address relating to BG account. I called them and stated no way could it be 700 and could they clear this up. I was told the debt would be passed back to BG and they would contact me to discuss the amounts owed. All over phone not in writting. I did get a letter to state it had been passed back to BG but not reasons why - i no longer have this letter

Anyway - i went into prem labour and forgot all about BG and this 700, afterall they would contact me

Dec 2008 BG placed a default on my file in december 2008- AFTER the account was disputed by me to DCA- only found out after this date

I called BG about 8 weeks ago and spoke to a man called Nick - i still has photographic evidence of the meter reading when i left. He said it would not make a massive difference to the bill but it would be reduced....Nick said a new bill would be produced and sent out to me, he took my number and said he would call when it was ready to go out..he left a vm about 4 weeks ago but no bill as of yet.

Anyway - my main points are
    BG had new address that was passed to them by me on date of completion - although they state not got this info

BG ALSO have new address from the DCA who passed my case back to BG

No default notice was issued - even tho BG had mny address

The account was in dispute when they defaulted the account, and as BG enmployee told me, the meter reading i had photo evidence of made a difference to my bill

Where do i stand legally? I know utilities arent governed the same as credit etc

I am due to re mortgage in october, me and my partner have split so i need a mortgage on my own... difficult enough with the ltv needed but impossible with a default. My ex needs me to buy him out so he can buy somewhere else and i am now looking at having to sell as i cant get a mortgage - my mortgage advisor has told me unless i get this default removed i have no chance of getting the ltv i need at a rate i can afford

I can pay the bill, in 3 installments, if they will remove the default - i owe the money and do not want to shurk my financial obligations to anyone.

can anyone help in getting the default removed?
    TIA

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X