• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can a debt collection agency have you disconnected?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a debt collection agency have you disconnected?

Good morning one and all,

I wonder if there is someone who can tell me if this is true.

Because of The recent recent problems I have been having with my late husband's affairs I had not worked for 9 months. I have been working recently and need now to pay some outstanding bills, namely my gas bill which has risen to £249.83 in arrears. This is owed to Britsh Gas. I phoned and emailed them explaining my predicament and told them that I would set up a Standing Order (which I do for all my bills etc). I was told that they no longer had a say in that particular bill as it was now being dealt with by Buchanan Clark & Wells and I would have to deal with them. I was told I should hear from them soon.

British Gas had sold on the debt less than three weeks of the final demand letter! Has anyone heard of this before?

I did hear from BCW. I wrote back to them saying I did not recognise them and that I was dealing with British Gas. I have set up a Standing Order to British Gas for £50 to come out at the end of this month. I did this with my electricity a few years ago and after threatening me with court as they did not accept Standing Orders as their system did not recognise them. I said "see you in court" they backed off, I had been paying them money for over six months at that time. Anyway, they realised that they would look rather silly and backed off.

BCW sent me another letter three weeks ago saying that they are going to apply to court for a warrant to have me disconnected. Can they do this? I thought it was only the utility companies that can apply for disconnections. This letter must have crossed in the post with the one I sent them because three days ago I got a letter confirming the receipt of mine and enclosing an expenditure form.

I'm going to ignore this letter and continue with my Standing Order. Am I wise to do so?

Any advice is greatly welcome. has anyone else come up against this before?

Re: Can a debt collection agency have you disconnected?

The short answer is no, they cannot. If they are a firm of solicitors however, they MAY take instruction from their client to file the papers necessary to do so.

I have a feeling that BCW are only "pretend" solicitors though. I may be wrong, so hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if it did end up with an application to the court though, you MUST defend and explain that you have an arrangement in place, already agreed by the utility company, to repay the outstanding debt.

BCW, being the arz'oles that they are, like to write pure fiction in an attempt to scare. Personally speaking, I'd write to Britsh Gas and tell them that BCW are threatening you, and you will take action against both BCW and BG if their harrassment continues, and that there will be no further warning before you do so.

It's important to get a complaint registered at the earliest available opportunity.
    My Blog
    http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

BCW are a rather snotty DCA and are all bark but totally toothless.
      You are correct in dealing ONLY with BG in this case.
      File BCW's threats under Ignore

Comment

My son has been receiving letters from Buchanan Clark and Wells for several months and have just now passed his debt on to a firm of Solicitors? not sure really what to make of this firm of Solicitors as when you go on their web site you can buy letters for as little as .75p. I will post up the firm latter when I am home. To me they are another glorified debt collector.

Anyway, my son has been emailing them from abroad and informed them of his situation and has asked that in his absence they can comunicate directly with me whilst he is away, this they have totally ignored and also ignore my emails to them also.

They have threaten bailiff and doorstep collection and all sorts, this has got them no where at all so I agree with Curly that they are toothless.

I think they just use all the threats they can and hope that you will just pay up.

Comment

My betting is the "solicitors" for BCW are simply templated nastygrams.
          I would be interested to know which one they are using

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
            My betting is the "solicitors" for BCW are simply templated nastygrams.
            I would be interested to know which one they are using
            Exactly CB my sentiments - nastygrams...

HL Legal & Collections Solicitors- in association with Sampson and Co.

They state - Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Also the word Solicitor in their letterhead is in the tiniest of writing and so pale you could hardly notice it. Why would they want to hide thsi.

No email address

They are based in Redditch, Worcestershire.

So are they Solicitors and regulated by the Law Society ? as it does not appear that way to me.

Comment

ROFLMAO.
              I've already reported their activities to the Law Society when they attempted to threaten me

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                ROFLMAO.
                I've already reported their activities to the Law Society when they attempted to threaten me
                In what way did they threaten you?

Can I do the same on behalf of my son?

Now from what I have just looked they are trading as HL Legal & Collections Solicitors. but that is not the official title as shown below and they have a different telephone number.

I have just looked upthe Solicitors Regulation Authority:-
                Find a solicitor

HL LEGAL SOLICITORS - Head Office
                Phone Number: 01527 586546
                Fax Number: 01527 63669
                Web Site: http://www.hllc.co.uk
                Email Address: enquiries@hllc.co.uk

Regulated principals

'Regulated principal' refers to recognised sole practitioners, partners/members/directors of a recognised body and directors/owners of an overseas corporate practice who are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
                Other roles

Individuals in a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) may be held out in publicity as 'partners' of the LLP. If they are registered as Members they will appear on the website as a Member. A firm can also designate some non-members of the LLP as 'partners'. We have recorded these individuals on the website as 'non-member partners'.
                We also show roles such as 'assistant' and 'associate'. Traditionally the career progression of a solicitor would be from assistant, to associate, to partner. Trainee solicitors are not shown.
                If you require clarification about an individual’s status within an organisation please contact the SRA

Comment

One of their templates was sent by CapQuest for a seriously disputed debt.
                  they gave all the normal DCA bovine, so I just had to call them and extract the urine

Comment

Thanks for all your information.

I will carry on regardless. I can't wait to see what they send next!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X