• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mackenzie Hall and Cabot Financial Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackenzie Hall and Cabot Financial Ltd

Hi

I am new to this site and would appreciate some advice.

Last month i received a odd letter from Mackenzie Hall requesting confirmation that i live at my current address ( i had since moved and they found my name via a credit reference agency). There was no name of any debtor or any amount stated on the letter. So I just ignored, having seen various forums online about this particular and company and heard of them on watchdog.

Anyway today i have received a letter today from Mackenzie Hall again stating that i owe £226.17 to Cabot Financial ( I have never heard of this company) and dont remember having any debt with this company or ever having received any letters from them. The letter stated that i needed to pay by 4th june. I googled Cabot Financial online and found that they are a debt chasing company based in Kent. I do not plan to ring Mackenzie Hall but know that i dont owe any money to this particular company. I do remember leaving a Captial One credit card behind but have had no letters from this Cabot company. Are Mackenzie Hall and Cabot the same company?

Any advice is appreciated, just i sit and let them chase me or write back to them, if so what should i write - i dont intend to ring them!

Thanks

Re: Mackenzie Hall and Cabot Financial Ltd

Hiya

Send both of them the following letter and lets see what they come back with.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Comment

Sorry to disagree here Sapphire, but file it under Ignore.
      Mucky Hall are well known for chasing totally unenforceable and statute barred debts.
      They are the ultimate bottom feeders of the DCA world and deserve everything they get, in this case nowt..

Comment

No problem, I bow to your 'superior' knowledge.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply and advice.

I will just ignore, i will probably no doubt receive another letter chasing payment. Can they take me court if i just ignore letters? surely they need to provide proof of what this debt is for? i just dont want someone **** hole turning up on my doorstep thinking he can help himself to my goods to pay this debt?

Thanks v much

Comment

Originally posted by jojo73 View Post
            Can they take me court if i just ignore letters? surely they need to provide proof of what this debt is for?
            You've answered your own question there, but if they try to take you to court you'll get lots of help.

Originally posted by jojo73 View Post
            i just dont want someone **** hole turning up on my doorstep thinking he can help himself to my goods to pay this debt?
            You are confusing them with a bailiff, they are debt collectors and therefore this will not happen.

Try not to worry too much and keep your thread updated.

xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X