• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays, ABN AMRO and Whistleblower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays, ABN AMRO and Whistleblower

With Barclays poised to take over Dutch banking group ABN AMRO, it's not clear how the horrors of last night's Whistleblower will affect the deal. Though it would be fair to say that the unsuspecting Dutch public would be - at least until last night - unaware of the brutal banking tactics that may well be foisted upon them if Barclays moves in.

It's even less clear how the board and major shareholders of ABN have or would react to the programme. They may not even have seen it. But just in case they haven’t, there's 3 copies already winging their way to Amsterdam along with the enclosed letter written on Barclays headed paper that I came across in my branch and that I've been saving for a rainy day.

To: Chief Executive
    ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
    Head Office
    Gustav Mahlerlaan 10
    1082 PP
    Amsterdam
    Netherlands

Group Chief Executive
    Barclays Bank PLC
    1 Churchill Place
    London
    E14 5HP

22/03/2007

Dear Sir

I am writing regarding the BBC television programme 'Whistleblower' broadcast yesterday in the UK. (enclosed).

I wish to reassure you that the programme was in no way representative of the way the vast majority of people do business at Barclays PLC. If I am honest the few bad apples in question were indeed despicable, callous and frankly, contemptible. We have already taken swift and firm action to deal with these individuals. Indeed every one of the customers we have identified on the show have had their accounts closed, charged a hefty fee for the privilege and been banned from all our branches nationwide. Well, until we can flog them a new 'Additions' account anyway.

And as for that old git who turned down the contents insurance, what do these people think we are? A bank? We've already billed him £2000 for the consultation and the bailiffs are in there on Friday.

Also, the few bank charge complainants were in no way typical of the 99 per cent of our account holders who are genuinely stupid, ignorant and trusting enough for us rifle their accounts at will without having the sense to notice.

Yours in banking

John Varley

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X