• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Fine - Civil Enforcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Fine - Civil Enforcement

Got home from work today to find a a Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice through my letterbox. Doesn't exactly look professional, so thought it was a scam, until I checked the date and time and realised it was when I took my son to the orthodontist and parked in the Blockbuster/KFC car park in town.

There is a notice saying that its for patrons only and 1hour maximum [but who's to know whether I actually go in either store or not lol]. On this particular ocassion I did pop into town after the orthodontists, so was 30 mins late getting back to the car.

The letter says that the amount of £150!!! must be paid within 28 days of the issue date, and if they receive it within 14 days a reduced rate of £75 will be accepted. 'Failure to pay the amount due within 28 days of the issue date, will result in Civil Enforcement Ltd forwarding your account to a Debt Recovery Agency and you will incur additional costs'.

Gotta admit it scared me, and even asked my mum to loan me the money to pay it within 14 days, cos I really can't afford this, and can't risk it putting a mark on my credit file as my 6years is now up, so it should now be 'clean'.

I've been advised by CB and Amy that this is not enforceable, and basically they're just trying it on by using scare tactics - gotta admit that it worked initially! Started this thread so that we can keep up to speed with what'll happen when I ignore it, and how far they actually try to take the issue. I'll try and upload a scanned copy of the letter/invoice tomorrow.

PJ

Re: Parking Fine - Civil Enforcement

Yep and here's why : http://www.roadsidelawyer.co.uk/ques...ick-drive-thru

IF they do send some letters or pass this to a DCA for action we'll have some fun.
    TBH this will most likely be the one and only time you hear from them, ever.

Comment

Standard PPC advice is:
      Do not pay.
      Do not telephone them
      Do not write/appeal
      Do not respond to any further letters

They will send two or three ever more threatening letters, predicting all sorts of dire consequences. Eventually they'll give up and move on to easier prey.

If you contact them at all they will think they hooked a sucker and hound you even more

Comment

Just as a quickie, I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago. (Not at Macdonalds) I have appealed as a matter of course (gives me more time to pay). The ticket was issued at 7.13pm, however my investigations have found that the CEOs only work till 6pm. A witness says he saw 2 wardens in a car pull over and put tickets on my car and a couple of others. Do you think that might be grounds for making the ticket invalid?
        Is no longer here

Comment

What sort of ticket was it and what where the posted parking times ?

Comment

Well it was issued by the local authority warden, prescribed times are 9-5 Monday-Sat. It's a pedestrian area, although I was actually parked under a market stall. There is also, I must admit, a restricted parking sign,(a blue and red round circle stating "at any time") about 100 yards away, which bizarrely is right underneath the sign showing 9-5 Mon-Sat. I have appealed on the grounds that the big sign gives restricted hours, which I wasn't contravening. I have made no mention of the other sign, which is much smaller. Have also pointed out that as I wasn't parked in the street, but actually under a market stall, then surely this should come under the Markets Authority rather than the parking authority. To be honest I don't expect to get away with it, but it's just so annoying when the reason for it was probably because a warden, on his way home, taking a shortcut or whatever, decided to issue a ticket when he wasn't even on duty, probably to get closer to his target.
            Is no longer here

Comment

Without seeing the signage, I'm guessing that the 9-5 applies to the pedestrian precinct, ie you can't drive through there between those times. Outside of those hours you can drive through, but not park

Comment

Right, I've managed to scan the 'fine' at work, so CB and Amy feel free to pull it to bits lol

Comment

ROFLMAO !!!

Comment

Safe to completely ignore it, although the OFT might have something to say about the logo or indeed the entire document.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                      ROFLMAO !!!
                      I take it from that response that I have absolutely nothing to worry about then! pmsl

There is some small print right at the bottom, that wouldn't copy onto the Word doc for some reason....it saus 'you may notify the Information Commissioner and/or the DVLA if you believe your data has been used inapproriately'. Don't know if that means anything, but thought I'd give ya the full details

Comment

In order to trace you, the company will have applied to the DVLA to obtain your address details from the registration of your car. The DVLA sell these for £2.50 each.

Comment

Beware Tesco's they are up to the same parking scam. They do not even rely on the company 'Central Ticketing' who issue paking tickets which look like official ones. Ignore all their letters and even the collection ones. They now even have their (Tesco employee) yellow coated thugs issuing the tickets.............its laughable. I have been threated with a ban for telling people not to pay the tickets.

Comment

I got a 'Final Reminder Before Legal Action' through the post on Thursday [keep forgetting to scan it in at work lol]. Says that the issue date of this Final Reminder is 9/6/09 ant the Parking Charge as detailed above has not been paid and total amount now due is £150.

It says that 'Failure to pay the full amount within seven days of this Notice will result in us issuing an immediate County Court Summons against you. A warrant may then be issued to bailiffs to recover the amounts due, plus court fees, bailiff costs and interest'.

It also says 'Your ability to obtain credit in the future could be affected'

Now, can CB/Amy/anyone, can you please just set my mind at rest again that I'm doing the right thing by not paying up, and that none of the above will really happen, cos I'm starting to bottle it abit again and I've not got £75 now, never mind the £150! lol

xXx

Comment

Duds, you are worrying about nothing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X