• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taping phone calls & face to face contact with Bailiffs/Equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping phone calls & face to face contact with Bailiffs/Equita

Just thought this maybe of interest

We have been harassed by Eqiata and one of their Bailiffs. They are in the habit of lying, so as advised as from today I have began to tape our interactions

I have informed them that I am taping our conversations

Interestingly both the bailiff and the office where not happy with this. After I had informed the bailiff I was taping our conversations, one of the things he said "I was not allowed to tape him as he did not know I was taping him". So I asked him "how he knew I was taping our conversation"? He replied "because you have told me"!

Just after one conversation with the bailiff I already have recorded him lying.

When I informed the person at the Equita office I was taping our telephone conversation, he said he was not willing to enter into a conversation that was being taped, then hung up. So my assumption would be: If you do not want to be harassed by phone calls, inform them that you are taping for monitoring purposes..................... (or training & security reasons)

Re: Taping phone calls & face to face contact with Bailiffs/Equata

As usual the bailiff is talking out of his hat. For you, as a private individual, there is nothing to prohibit the recording of your own telephone calls, provided that the recording is for personal use. You do not need to inform the other person that you are recording the conversation provided you are not intending to make the contents of the conversation available to a third party. However, if you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

One way of obtaining that consent, if the bailiff chose to deny you, would be to tender a transcript of the conversation as evidence and challenge the bailiff to deny the accuracy of the transcript. If they do, you have the option of offering the original recording to back up the transcript. They would only continue to refuse permission if they knew that they had lied.

It is usually very easy to spot a bailiff lying because their mouths are moving.

Comment

Thank you, that is very helpful

Comment

Correct Ceto you would need the other parties consent UNLESS you seek & are granted permission of the court then no 2nd party agreement is needed - as you say there is no need whatsoever to advise the other party your recording as long as you ARE an actual party to the call
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        PS Even though I don't have to I usually tell them AFTER the event - that really pees them off cos by that time they have usually lied through their back teeth
        Last edited by righty; 30th April 2009, 20:44:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Let them know afterwards, I like your thinking. I now feel such a fool. Cheers (NP)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X