• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Flexible Working Hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible Working Hours

I found this on another site and I'm wondering on the legalities of this, is it discrimination ?
    This is the query:

The company i work for has recently introduced flexible working hours, yippee I thought. Then I was told it was only for people who had children I was so hacked off that I almost told them where to stuff their job there and then but I manged to stop myself. Needless to say i am now looking elsewhere, I can't be doing with all this. I hasten to add nearly everyone there has children, it's just me and another chap who don't.

I am sad and dissapointed as I actually quite liked my job at one point but they are introducing things that are making me hate it, I don't look forward to going into the office at all now.

Re: Flexible Working Hours

Not sure, but if it isn't it should be.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I would class it as discrimination, they can't have a rule for one and not the other. Tell them you want fairness all round not just for parents.
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Ok, I work in recruitment and we had this issue discussion last week with our HR department and I was told that there is no automatic right to flexi time just a right to be considered. We have to be aware of any legislation etc that deals with employment purely because of being in the industry I'm in.

To be considered is at the discretion of the company and is usually based upon the following factors

You must be a parent or legal guardian or married to the parent or legal guardian
        Have a child under 6 or a child with disabilities
        Have been employed with the company for at least 6 months

This is what we were told was the criteria, I have no idea of the legalities or correctness of it x

Comment

Why does he need flexible working hours if he doesn't have children?

He sounds like the kind of person who would insist on a wheelchair ramp being fitted despite the fact that he has full use of his legs.

Comment

Surely the point is that if a company is offering flexible working hours, then it should be for ALL of the staff whether or not they have children or not, because IF they are saying its for people with children then it discrimination against those without children or am I getting the wrong end of the stick.

Anyways I thought I'd post this up as it not only looks like a good debate, I think it could raise issues of discrimination apart from the old ones of sexual, religion, age and so on.

Comment

I am currently in the process of applying to change my work pattern due to working families.
              It is now part of the employment act or other, and part of this, is the fact you have to be caring for a child under 6 or a disabled child.

Without the full info of EXACTLY what their company is offering its hard to comment.

I have all the docs and forms on this if anyone wants them

Comment

I think it doesn't fall into discrimination because 'everbody has the right to be considered for it' but you have to qualify for it as mentioned. A bit like Maternity etc, you could say 'X has chosen not to have children but still wants equal time off as his colleague who has just taken maternity leave'

The point behind flexi time is to take into account those people that have children often have no choice but to take time off work and previously were discriminated against in the workplace simply because of this. With the right to apply for flexi time the employer looks at all the circumstances and then it at the employers discretion.

We often discuss topics like this at work and have to advise clients how they cannot discriminate (they simply aren't aware) and we have been asked to not interview anyone under a certain age by a client to make sure that person doesn't have school age children and so on. I take great pleasure in telling those clients to go elsewhere :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Some people don't have jobs at all. He should think about that.

He wouldn't be so upset if the new rules only applied to him and the other person that don't have children would he.

Comment

Info from BERR

Originally posted by BERR
                    Note to the employee

You can use this form to make an application to work flexibly under the right provided in law to help eligible employees care for their children or for an adult. Before completing this form, you should first read the Guidance on the right to request flexible working on BERR’s website, and check that you are eligible to make a request.

You should note that under the right it may take up to 14 weeks to consider a request before it can be implemented and possibly longer where difficulties arise. You should therefore ensure that you submit your application to the appropriate person well in advance of the date you wish the request to take effect.

It will help your employer to consider your request if you provide as much information as you can about your desired working pattern. It is important that you complete all the questions as otherwise your application may not be valid. When completing sections 3 & 4, think about what effect your change in working pattern will have both on the work that you do and on your colleagues. Once you have completed the form, you should immediately forward it to your employer (you might want to keep a copy for your own records). Your employer will then have 28 days after the day your application is received in which to arrange a meeting with you to discuss your request. If the request is granted, this will normally be a permanent change to your terms and conditions unless otherwise agreed.

Note to the employer

This is a formal application made under the legal right to apply for flexible working and the duty on employers to consider applications seriously. You have 28 days after the day you received this application in which to either agree to the request or arrange a meeting with your employee to discuss their request.

You should confirm receipt of this application using the attached confirmation slip.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X