• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help! Walking possession from Jacobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Walking possession from Jacobs

Hi, i've read a few threads on here so far but decided the quickest way to get an answer to my specific situation was to post a thread myself.

I have an unpaid council tax bill that has now been passed onto Jacobs Bailiffs, i assume the council must have sent me letters but i never received them and now have a liability order, if i'd known i would have gone to court as i am disputing how much they want me to pay as i live by myself and am on a low income. I have no problem in paying some of it and am willing to do so. Now Jacobs have sent me letters, my bailiff even posted a walking possession order through my door against my car. I have not signed this, i offered to pay £50 a month the first of which i paid today but would not let her in to my house. She has said the enforcement officers will be around in about 7 days as she wouldn't accept my offer of payment without coming in. As is haven't signed the walking possession agreement can i remove my car or is it their property now? I am also unsure if they have over charged me for visits.

What rights do in now have in regards to this? I would be much happier if i could get the debt passed back to the council as i am willing to pay. Also in a message the bailiff left on my answer phone she said if i don't give the enforcement guys all they want then i will immediatley have a warrant put out for my arrest. I believed this would only happen if the case went back to court and the judge was shown i wouldn't pay.

Any advice you could give me i'd be grateful for, also if there's any standard letters you could point me in the direction of so i can write to the council and bailiffs to show i am willing to pay and showing my situation (in regards to the car my daughter is back and forth to the doctors and hospital alot so i do need it), again i'd be extremely grateful.

Many Thanks
    Becks

Re: Help! Walking possession from Jacobs

Hi Becks,

The walking possession order is not valid. If you dispute how much you owe to the council, have you written to them and told them this?

Have you written to the bailiffs at all?

Have you read this link? Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles

You should send the bailiff the SAR, the link to the letter is in the above link.

Do you have the bailiff's name (don't post it here if you have). Do not, whatever you do, let them in and they will have no alternative but to return the debt to the council.

That said, they will try everything to get you to let them in, don't let them trick you.

If you can answer the above questions first, we can take it from there.

Comment

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the quick reply

I have written to the council and told them why i dispute the full amount but have not received anything back from them.

I wrote to the bailiffs when i got the first visit from them stating what i was willing to pay each month and that i was disputing the total with the council, they told me that they wouldn't discuss it with me and i had to ring my bailiff and set up the payment with her by meeting with her and filling in the relevant forms. But i won't let her into my home so she won't let me set up payment.

I've read your link thankyou, and will send out the SAR tomorrow.

If there's any more advice you have it'll be thankfully received, as i do admit i have to pay some council tax and am willing to do so but don't want to end up with endless bailiff charges that will put me more in debt and without a car!

Many Thanks
      Becks

Comment

Pay the council and just completely bypass the bailiff.

Do you have the bailiff's name - check and see if she is certificated by telephoning the Ministry of Justice (number is in the link I gave you).

Also you might like to consider making a complaint against them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X