• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*** SUCCESS *** Strugglingmum v Natwest ** PAID !!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strugglingmum v Natwest

Hi and welcome , you have come to the right place for help. The people here are great and very very helpful I wish you well.
    'Be Traist'

Comment

Just spoke to Natwest and the guy said they'd accepted my hardship claim, that I have to return my meastro card and will be issued with a solo card. He said first I'll receive an acceptence letter then an offer letter and this can take 21 days. Good news. x

Comment

Originally posted by strugglingmum View Post
        Just spoke to Natwest and the guy said they'd accepted my hardship claim, that I have to return my meastro card and will be issued with a solo card. He said first I'll receive an acceptence letter then an offer letter and this can take 21 days. Good news. x
        Thats great news to hear.

Comment

Excellent, some movement at least now. Do not think the solo card is a bad thing, same as a basic account isn't. It is a preventative measure to make sure you don't fall into more debt.

Post more details when you have them, look forward to hearing what they offer.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Solo card isn't bad, just means you can't use it to gurantee cheques, and there are less places that accept it than maestro. Did natwest tell you how much they are offering?
            Is no longer here

Comment

Hi, no idea how much they're offering yet they wouldn't tell me, they just said once I take my card into a bank and have it destroyed they'll make the offer. It's a bit silly really as I dont actually have a cheque book as they wouldn't issue me with one after I complained about some charges 4 years ago. Will update as soon as I hear anything. Thankyou everyone for your support. x

Comment

don't know what anyone else thinks, but I personally wouldn't be surrendering my card unless I knew what i was getting in exchange for it. What if the offer is pathetic and not worth having? I didn't think they were allowed to put conditions like this onto whether or not thye accept you as a hardship claim.
                Is no longer here

Comment

I think you have to look at this from both sides and what you will gain in the long term.

What they are doing is preventing you from getting in further arrears and getting charges by use of your card.
                  Usually debit card payments take 2 days to hit your account, so you can get yourself overdrawn in some cases, I know from experience, especially when bank hols are thrown into the mix.
                  They are acting responsibly in that they are requesting the card back to prevent this from occuring.

The Banks Views will probably be like this
                  • You give card back and bank see that you are taking their advice and acting responsibly with regard to limiting your expenditure. So they make an offer to help you.
                  • You dont give card back and bank see that you are unwilling to accept help and that you will probably go on and incur more debt. they dont make an offer as you wont help yourself.

In theory they are doing their duty of care to you, as you have claimed you are in hardship.

Nattie will prob have a good take on the banks view to this.

Personally I would be willing to surrender my cards as If I am in hardship I wouldnt need a debit card, cos all my essentail stuff like shopping can be cash payments, and if you do need an online payment method you can buy Visa evouchers to use online like a visa card.

PKea

Comment

Hi Ive just been and handed my card over so await the banks offer. I just rang them to tell them it had been handed in at my local branch and they said what happens now is my claim goes off to have all the statements and charges checked and then they will come up with an offer. Im not expecting to hear anything now until the end of the month going off what they said.
                    Really funny thought but Im sure they must be reading this, cos this has been going on for what seems like ages yet it is only since I posted here that Ive had a response! Thanks everyone x

Comment

Hi Ive just been and handed my card over so await the banks offer. I just rang them to tell them it had been handed in at my local branch and they said what happens now is my claim goes off to have all the statements and charges checked and then they will come up with an offer. Im not expecting to hear anything now until the end of the month going off what they said.
                      Really funny thought but Im sure they must be reading this, cos this has been going on for what seems like ages yet it is only since I posted here that Ive had a response! Thanks everyone x
                      They may not be watching you struggling but the main thing is that they will check your charges are correct, then assess all the details for hardship and make an offer. As has been said before, they may want to pay directly to the providers who may have arrears with you(that is a positive step of course). As an aside, I agree with the analogy pkea has given re the banks' view. I would agree with that totally. The main thing now is to wait for a response, timescales for any payment is usually 21 days(that does kinda go with the timescales I was aware of with other banks). When you hear more on NatWest make sure you post on here.

Comment

Hi Strugglingmum

I think that is a very positive step by Nat West and hope that they treat you fairly with your claim.

All the best

xx

Comment

I think what has actually happened is that you have just become more positive and surer of your arguments by posting your story on her and listening and absorbing the suggestions and advice that you have been given. It's all sunk in and has given you a more positive and resolute attitude and this is important when you are talking to these bank morons on the phone.

Struggligmum, you will get an offer in the very near future, don't forget to come back on the thread and let us all know how things develop.

Budgie

Comment

Update so far:
                            Received letter off bank confirming they've accepted my claim under the hardship rules etc and (this bit does not apply to me so standard letter) to make token payments on any loan/ overdraft etc) and to agree to cancel any dd's that I am not able to meet, it finishes with no more charges will be applied to my account until the end of the OFT case.

Long letter so I briefed it down and cut to the chase. If you would like I'll scan it on and upload it but it will take me a few days. (yes, I'm blonde)

I wanted to give you the telephone contacts and fax number i've been using so you can pass it on to others. It's for the Natwest Edinburgh that deals with the hardship straight away and they answer immediately straight through to who you need to speak to regarding the hardship claims. The fax was the same, straight to the person that requested my bills etc and responded to almost straight away with the decision.

0845 3012783

fax 0141 2491451
                            Last edited by strugglingmum; 6th March 2009, 18:10:PM. Reason: to add contact numbers

Comment

it finishes with no more charges will be applied to my account until the end of the OFT case.
                              Very interested in this part of the letter SM, is it possible you could type out the exact wording from the letter. This in effect has meant they are willing to waive all future charges pending the outcome of the Test Case, again, something new we rarely come across.

Also thank you very much for providing everyone with the Natwest Hardship Team contact details, very much appreciated by all I am sure
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Quote: (requested by tools)

Until the result of the charges of the test case is known we can confirm no further charges or interest will be applied to your account. We will also need to discuss the cancellation of diect debits/standing orders that you are unable to meet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X