• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

car insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car insurance

We went to bell insurance in september 2008 for quote and accepted and gave debit card payment over fone... We then waited on documents that never arrived but we also got quote from another company and we accepted that so we sent letter to bell insurance within 5 days askin them to cancel the policy we accepted.
    We never heard anythin from them until my husband got email askin fro no claims discount certificate from previous insurers.. We thot our letter in post just crossed paths with their email so we ignored it.
    The car then had a fault which we couldnt afford to repair till end of december so it was parked in driveway and we cancelled insurance with other company by letter and they sent us confimration it was cancelled so we thot things where fine until in january bell insurance started houndin us askin for £84 coz they had insured us until 9th January 2009.
    We recieved no letters from them until that time, even no more emails o we didnt think anythin was amiss.
    Anyways, they want the money now and altho I wrote to them tellin them we aint payin because we cancelled within 7days, they foned me and argued with me on fone even tho I said i cancelled within the 7days period...They said they didnt recieve no letter and because we didnt take new insurance till 9th january, that means we need to pay them because they insured us till that date.
    I asked how they got the date and they explained they checked the database so I asked if they checked database, surely that would have gave details of husbands no claims bonus so why ask for it by email a month after we cancelled and the lady just told me to send cheque in post asap and the matter will be resolved.
    Do we have to pay?..I dont see why because we cancelled within 7days.
    Can anyone help please......Thanx :cry:

Re: car insurance

Poochie, did they issue you with either a covernote or certificate of insurance and did you return it when you did not want the cover!

Comment

I would say no. However do you have a copy of the letter you sent them cancelling the policy?

Comment

we did not recieve any paperwork from them apart from direct debit forms and an email askin for hubbys no claims bonus from previous insurers.... Thats the point, I told them we never recieved anythin so because I had written to cancel within the 7days we thought we wouldnt hear from them other than to say they had cancelled but we never even got that letter so we never thoguht anythin of it.

We do have an older man living 2 doors away from us with same surname, now we used to get his mail and vice versa and we complained to post office etc cause it was causin chaos...This old man is an alcoholic and is in and out fo hospital and he has carers as well but wen we go to his door, he doesnt answer cause he either drunk and asleep etc or a nurse says she knows nothin about mail.
        I explained this to bell insurance and told them cheekily that if their sayin they never got my letter to cancel then its our word against theirs..... When I did speak to the lady at bell insurance on phone, I told her any more cvontact I want in writing and any mail they do send to please send by recorded delivery and that way it can be proved who recieved and signed ofr it if it comes to court because we have no intention of payin for somethin we cancelled within the time limit.
        We did recieve letter by recorded mail askin us to make 2 instalments to clear the balance they want but Im refusin to do it....I know I sent them a letter to cancel within 7 days cause it on my computer......
        Wat can I do to resolve this matter?.... I dont see why we should pay up.......

Comment

Hi Poochie

You should send them by recorded delivery a copy of your letter which they did not receive, where you advised them that you did not want the policy. Tell them that you never received the certificate of insurance so therefore you are unable to return it to them. If they are saying they sent you a certificate then ask them for a lost certification declaration that you can sign to say that you did not receive it.

At this stage I would keep everything in writing and by recorded delivery, politely and to the point.

All the best
          x

Comment

Ok I shall try that but wat if they keep hounding us for the money or start court action on us?.......:tinysmile_cry_t:
            Your help is much appreciated...thanx

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post
              Ok I shall try that but wat if they keep hounding us for the money or start court action on us?.......:tinysmile_cry_t:
              Your help is much appreciated...thanx
              Then we hound them back and they will soon get the message and roll over and play ball.

Comment

ok I will type upa letter to bell insurance this weekend and enclose the first letter we sent as well and also ask them for the form to say we didnt recieve insurance certificate etc....THANX AGAIN, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post
                  ok I will type upa letter to bell insurance this weekend and enclose the first letter we sent as well and also ask them for the form to say we didnt recieve insurance certificate etc....THANX AGAIN, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

It is a pleasure Poochie, I just hope it does the trick for you. Quite often the clerks at the Insurance Brokers/ Companies have chunnel vision and cannot see outside the box.

I worked in at an Insurance brokerage for some years, but some years ago now, so a little out of touch, but the principle is the same I am sure.

Good luck xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X