• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ferguson -v- British Gas Trading - refusal to strike out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson -v- British Gas Trading - refusal to strike out

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/46.html

Harrassment Case

The Appeal Court refuse to strike out a case of Harrassment against British Gas - whose defence was that "their computer did it" and "a corporation can't be held responsible for all these actions - you'd have to find a single person responsible". The Lords on the panel all agreed that both these arguments were (basically) utter nonsense...

Hope it proves useful!

Tom
    I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
    Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Re: Ferguson -v- British Gas Trading - refusal to strike out

So is there a criminal case - seems bang to rights for 'beyond reasonable doubt'

That would put the icing on the cake - & let them (the sb's) bloody well eat it!

cnjw.

:clap2:
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Ferguson -v- British Gas Trading - refusal to strike out

Leo Abse and Cohen Solicitors | | Cardiff | Swansea | Newport

LISA MARIA ANGELA FERGUSON v BRITISH GAS TRADING LTD (2009)[2009] EWCA Civ 46:
      The Court of Appeal heard an appeal by Ms Ferguson against a striking out order against her claim under the Protection from Harrasment Act 1997 against British Gas after she received letters from British Gas after she had switched energy suppliers, threatening to cut off her gas supply, start legal proceedings and report her to credit agencies. The Court gave some helpful guidance on what constituted a course of conduct amounting to harrasment under the Act, and clarified its earlier test set out on the Conn v Sutherland City Council case. The Court confirmed that a course of harrasment had to be sufficiently serious for the law to intervene. In this case, it was arguable that there had been a sufficient conduct but the Court did not determine any issues of evidence, which would form part of a later trial. We have now learned that Ms Ferguson's claim has been settled without a trial.

Tom
      I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
      Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X