• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

First Right of Appropriation...offsetting debt against benefits RBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Right of Appropriation...offsetting debt against benefits RBS

Well going off that you would think they know all about it and actually let people use it.

Comment

We need a guinea pig
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Where is that emoticon for manure?
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        We need a guinea pig
        Totally 100% agree with you.
        Last edited by natweststaffmember; 18th March 2009, 16:25:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well it states you have to be specific about the 'priority debt' you cant just say living expenses. It's the word 'debts' that is the important bit I think. A priority debt would be just same as in hardship claims IMO, mortgage/rent, C/Tax and Utilities. Drawing out or doing a FROA for living expenses would not be classed as a debt. That's just how I see it I could be totally out of line.

Comment

This one would do it's in disguise too lol

Comment

That seems to be what Natwest are saying, however food, nappies etc is priority and FROA is for essential living not just debts, so will try clarify that with them...if a payment in is JSA, HB or CTC etc and you pay everything in cash because using DD's etc end up with charges then FROA should cover you for that as well.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Well they seem to make it a very grey subject yet again. Once again edging around the facts and the law.

Comment

Reply from Nationwide

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Sharon/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Legal Department
                  Nationwide Building Society
                  Nationwide House
                  Pipers Way
                  Swindon SN38 1FN

DX 83653 Swindon Hawksworth
                  Ms S
                  Tel: (01793) 656167
                  Fax: (01793) 652318

By e-mail only:
                  Dear Ms
                  First right of appropriation
                  Thank you for your e-mail of 9 March 2009 addressed to our Chief Executive, Graham Beale. Graham has asked me to respond to you on this issue.
                  There is a considerable amount of information available with respect to the right of a borrower to decide for what purposes any money that he repays to a lender can be applied. However, a large part of this information is inaccurate.
                  Whilst it is true that the common law sets out a general framework under which people can enter contracts, that framework is always open to be customised by the express agreement of the people concerned. In the case of our current accounts, the terms and conditions of that account are a good example of this agreement to vary the common law position. For example, times for delivery of our services (such as when money paid in will show as a credit to the account) are expressly set out rather than left to the “within a reasonable time” that would otherwise be implied by common law.
                  More specifically, the terms and conditions of our current account incorporate Nationwide’s Rules (one of our constitutional documents, which govern the relationship between Nationwide and its members). In particular Rule 5(b)(iii) states that:
                  “The Society may withhold all or part of any … [current account] … and use it to pay or reduce any debt owed to the Society which is due or overdue for payment.”
                  This means that Nationwide can use any money deposited in an account to set off any debt owed by the account holder to the Society.
                  Nationwide does, however, have in place a number of policies relating to the fair and reasonable treatment of customers who are in poor financial circumstances. Please see the following page on our web site for a more detailed list:
                  http://www.nationwide.co.uk/payment_...es/default.htm
                  Yours sincerely
                  Liz Kelly
                  Head of Legal Department
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 24th March 2009, 13:30:PM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Which information is actually accurate re the First Right Of Appropriation cos she hasn't actually commented on the Customer's right merely the Right of Set Off and how they deal with hardship. In fact, the response was utter garbage.
                    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                    nationwide haven't actually said anything about anything

they seem to indicate that the first right of appropriation is indeed a variation in the contract
                    and technically could clash with the right of set off.
                    Last edited by natweststaffmember; 23rd March 2009, 17:45:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

no reply from citizens advice or the councils...hmmmmm

will try and call my local council today. failing that i may send the info from the banks thus far to the councils and ask them why they are advising people something the banks don't acknowledge.

good idea or no?

also do T&Cs outweigh common law? I guess they outweighed the penalty argument didnt they
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yep a good idea.

Comment

Seconded, I don't know how they get away with it but they do.
                          Maybe get in touch with that Credit Union as well, the one that had the right idea.
                          Maybe see if the ones that are now doing current Accounts are giving same message.

Comment

Yes thats a jolly good idea, I will write to them today
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

reply from CCCS

Hello Sharon,
                              Unfortunately we do not have any stats or reports on first right of appropriation as we do not measure or record anywhere how successful (or not) we are. All we would do is advise the client as appropriate.
                              I am sorry I cannot help you any further, but to get more information on what we advise I would point you in the direction of our Helpline - 0800 138 1111.
                              Kind regards
                              Pavan

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Lloyds - declined to answer

Nationwide - Whilst it is true that the common law sets out a general framework under which people can enter contracts, that framework is always open to be customised by the express agreement of the people concerned. In the case of our current accounts, the terms and conditions of that account are a good example of this agreement to vary the common law position. .....More specifically, the terms and conditions of our current account incorporate Nationwide’s Rules (one of our constitutional documents, which govern the relationship between Nationwide and its members). In particular Rule 5(b)(iii) states that: “The Society may withhold all or part of any … [current account] … and use it to pay or reduce any debt owed to the Society which is due or overdue for payment.” This means that Nationwide can use any money deposited in an account to set off any debt owed by the account holder to the Society.

Barclays - We do not, however, believe that applying specific credits to specific payments is the most effective approach for customers in this position. It is generally simpler both for the customer and the bank to reach a payment arrangement that in practice leaves the customer with sufficient funds for their basic needs rather than to try to earmark specific funds for specific purposes.

and more positively;
                                Royal Bank of Scotland- With regards to a specific policy surrounding the ‘First Right of Appropriation’ our approach, when this right is invoked by customers in financial difficulties, is governed by the Banking Code, to which we subscribe. The published guidance on our Code obligations sets out what is expected of us in ensuring that income paid into an account is used first to pay ‘priority debts’ before ‘non-priority debts’. However in discharging our Code obligations we are reliant on the cooperation of the customer to identify what payments are ‘priority debts’. We need to know how much is expected to be paid into the account and when the moneys will be paid. The priority debts with first claim on the moneys require to be identified – if paid by cheque we need to know payee and amount. Direct debits are identifiable by originator. A general instruction to pay only ‘living expenses’ for instance would not be considered sufficient. Of course the moneys must be in the account to be appropriated in this way – if a priority debt cheque or direct debit is presented and funds are not there the items will not be paid and charges will be incurred.
                                HOWEVER...in their internal document they state ''The bank has no obligation to encash a benefits payment where the payment is offsetting an excess position''

So if you are in anyway over your overdraft limit then they will take your benefits to repay it. If you are in a positive position when the payment hits your account then you can appropriate it.

Have written to Credit union and three councils for their thoughts anyway.
                                Last edited by Amethyst; 24th March 2009, 13:58:PM.
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X