• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FSA FoIA Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSA FoIA Request

----- Original Message ----- From: EXC
    To: foi@fsa.gov.uk
    Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 3:57 PM
    Subject: FOiA Request:

I am writing to you to request information about the July 26 announcement 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling'.

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and I believe should not be subject to any of the qualified or absolute exemptions.
    The request is in 6 parts:

1) On what date was it agreed that the OFT and banks would take
    test case? Was the FSA involved in those discussions?

2) On what date was it agreed that the FSA would introduce a waiver?

3) On what date was your report entitled 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling' agreed for publication' ?

4) On what date was it decided to publish the said report on 27 July?

5) Please provide the advice supplied to senior management in regard to the date of publication.

6) Please supply all correpondence (either letter or e-mail) between the OFT and the FSA between January 2007 and 27 July 2007 in relation to bank charges.

I look forward to a substantive response within 20 working days. I have considered this request carefully, checking each request against the exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000, and if you fail to provide the information requested then I will ask for an internal review. If I am unsatisfied with that response then I will make a complaint to the Information Commissioner and ask him to make a Decision Notice requiring the FSA to release the information. Having analysed previous Decision Notices, I am more than confident that the Information Commissioner would require ALL this information to be released.

Love it EXC.....
    Putting the pressure on to find out what is going on behind closed doors....
    Worded superbly....
    I am looking forward to hearing what you get in response...
    Russ

Comment

Re: FSA FoIA Request

Well what do you know?

After sending off a complaint to the FSA at 7pm this evening informing
      them that they are now in breach of the Freedom of Information Act
      by not responding within the 20 working days, I'm just putting the cat
      out - at 9.30 - and their response suddenly arrives.

Needless to say they wern't forthcoming on request 6 but seem to be
      saying they might be after the 2 month waiver review.

Our ref: FOI0737

Dear Mr EXC

I refer to your request for information which was received on 2 August 2007, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 ("the Act"), for the following information:
        • "1) On what date was it agreed that the OFT and banks would take a test case? Was the FSA involved in those discussions?

2) On what date was it agreed that the FSA would introduce a waiver?

3) On what date was your report entitled 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling' agreed for publication'?

5) Please provide the advice supplied to senior management in regard to the date of publication.

6) Please supply all correpondence [sic] (either letter or e-mail) between the OFT and the FSA between January 2007 and

27 July 2007 in relation to bank charges."
      Points 1) to 4) of your request are being taken forward as business as usual and not under the Act. The responses to these questions are as follows:

1) On what date was it agreed that the OFT and banks would take a test case? Was the FSA involved in those discussions?2) On what date was it agreed that the FSA would introduce a waiver?
        • The FSA, by a decision taken by its Retail Regulatory Committee ("RRC") on 18 July, decided to make a waiver of the FSA complaints handling rules available to a number of banks and building societies that provide account services with overdraft facilities. The RRC decision to grant the waiver received FSA Board approval on 26 July.
      3) On what date was your report entitled 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling' agreed for publication?
        • The press release entitled 'FSA grants waiver on complaints handling' was agreed for publication on the 26 July.
        • Our press release was issued to the media on 26 July and was posted on our website on 27 July.
          The decision to publish our press release on 26 July was made on 26 July, following approval by the FSA Board to grant the waiver.
      Questions 5) and 6) of your request are being taken forward under the Act.

• I can confirm that we do not hold the information you have requested.
      6) Please supply all correspondence (either letter or e-mail) between the OFT and the FSA between January 2007 and 27 July 2007 in relation to bank charges.
        • With regard to the information we do hold, we are not able to disclose it to you because the following absolute exemptions apply:
          • Section 21 (Information accessible to you by other means)

To the extent that we do hold publicly available information, we are not required to release this under the Section 21 exemption as it is information accessible to you by other means. Some of the information is available on the FSA website:
      Deloitte Cost of Regulation Report
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/other/deloitte_cost_of_regulati on_report.pdf
      The other publicly available information that we have you can obtain from:
      BBC (Lloyds TSB court case re overdraft penalty charges)
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6657025.stm
      Birmingham PostFinancial TimesHM Courts Service
      http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1440.htm
      Office of Fair Trading
      http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2007/106-07
      The Financial Ombudsman Service
      http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/news/updates/bank-charges-26-07-07.html
          • Section 44 (Prohibitions on disclosure)

Section 44 provides that information is absolutely exempt if its disclosure (otherwise than under the Act) is prohibited by or under any enactment. Section 348 of FSMA restricts the FSA from disclosing "confidential information" it has received except in certain limited circumstances (not one of which apply here).

Confidential information for these purposes is defined as information which relates to the business or other affairs of any person and was received by the FSA for the purposes of or in the discharge of its functions under FSMA which is not in the public domain.
            Disclosure of confidential information in breach of section 348 is a criminal offence.
            Consequently we are prohibited from disclosing to you any information that we have received which is not in the public domain.
      In addition, I am writing to advise you that we consider that the information may also be exempt under the following qualified exemptions:
          • Section 31 (Law enforcement)
          • Section 36 (Prejudice to effective conduct of public affairs)
          • Section 42 (Legal professional privilege)
      Section 31 of the Act will apply if the exercise by any public authority of its functions for any of the purposes specified in subsection (2), among others, the public body holding the information might be harmed by its public disclosure.

Section 36 of the Act will apply where disclosure of the information would be likely to prejudice the effective conduct of our public affairs.
      Section 42 of the Act will apply where the information is subject to legal professional privilege.

The above three exemptions are qualified exemptions and the FSA is required to weigh the public interest in maintaining the exemptions against the public interest in disclosing the information. By virtue of section 10(3) of the Act, where public authorities have to consider the balance of the public interest in relation to a request, they do not have to comply with the request until such time as is reasonable in the circumstances. The FSA has not yet reached a decision on the balance of the public interest. Due to the need to consider, in all the circumstances of the case, where the balance of the public interest lies in relation to the information that you have requested, the FSA will not be able to respond to your request in full within 20 working days. In these circumstances, we should be in a position to respond to your request by 28 September 2007. If you do not receive my response or further information by then, please contact me and I will investigate the matter.

Yours sincerely

Shelley Spies (Mrs)
      Information Access Team

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@fsa.gov.uk immediately and delete the email from your computer. This email is not intended to nor should it be taken to create any legal relations or contractual relationships. This email has originated from:

The Financial Services Authority (FSA)
      25 The North Colonnade,
      Canary Wharf,
      London
      E14 5HS
      United Kingdom

Registered as a Limited Company in England and Wales No.1920623.
      Registered Office as above

Switchboard: 020 7066 1000

Web Site: Financial Services Authority

Comment

----- Original Message ----- From: EXC
        To: Freedom of Information FSA
        Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 6:19 PM
        Subject: FOI0737

Dear Mrs Spies

Thank you for your e-mail of 31 August.

I would be grateful if you would clarify the status of question 6 in your response.

You quote absolute exemptions s21 and s44 apply and then go on to say s31, 36 and 42 (qualified exemptions) may apply pending consideration of the balance of public interest. Would I be correct in assuming that s21 and s44 apply to some of the information requested and s31, 36 and 42 may apply to the balance? And if this is the case, why have you specifically chosen 28 September - the day after the waiver review - to respond?

As I am sure you are aware, section 36 can only be invoked if it holds in the view of a ''reasonable person'', which the DCA's guidance indicates is usually a minister. As the FSA is a non-ministerial department I assume you will seek the view of the Chairman or the Chief Executive. Will you?

With regard to the 3 qualified exemptions that may be invoked dependent on a decision on the balance of public interest issue, I am aware that dozens of Members of Parliament have now written to the FSA and OFT on behalf
        of their constituents questioning the reasons for and the fairness of the waiver. I would suggest that the information I seek is overwhelmingly in the public interest and it would be very difficult for the FSA to argue otherwise.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Your sincerely

After repeated reminders by e-mail and telephone messages - all of which were ignored - and culminating in a less than cordial phone conversation with the FSA's staggeringly pompus Information Access Dept - I got a response:

Direct line: 020 7066 9832
        Local fax: 020 7066 1051
        Email: Freedom of Information Act@fsa.gov.uk

Mr EXC

Via e-mail

13 September 2007

Our Ref: FOI0737

Dear EXC

Freedom of Information: Right to know request

I refer to your recent e-mails regarding your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 ("the Act").

I note your comments in the e-mail of 31 August 2007 which was addressed to the Independent Complaints Scheme. However, your e-mail of 3 September 2007 to the Information Access Team was a reply to our e-mail of 31 August 2007, sent at 12.24pm and again at 16.22 as you requested in your call to our office. The e-mail explained the current position with regard to your Freedom of Information Act request, which we are required to do under the Act if we are unable to supply a final response within the statutory deadline.

Turning to the questions in your e-mail of 3 September. I confirm that the absolute exemptions sections 21 and 44 apply to some of the information requested. The qualified exemptions sections 31, 36 and 42 may apply to the balance of the information.

When considering the public interest test the Information Commissioner has issued guidance to public authorities on the length of time that should be taken to consider the public interest test. This should be no more than a further 20 working days from the date of the extension letter, hence the 28 September being the date that the FSA should be in a position to respond to your request by.

Please see the following link for the process that the FSA follows when considering the section 36 exemption

Qualified persons statement.

Yours sincerely

Roisin Traynor
        Information Access Team
        Financial Services Authority

Comment

These people are really begining to try my patience.

----- Original Message -----
          To: Freedom of Information FSA
          Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 12:11 PM
          Subject: Re: Freedom of Information - Right to Know

Dear Ms Roisin

Thank you for your e-mail of 28 September.

It is totally unacceptable that you have again failed to respond to my request and now require a further lengthy period of time in which you ''hope to be in a position to respond''.

I cannot accept that you need nearly three months to simply run an item of my request past one of the FSA's numerous board members. Let's take a little look your performance so far shall we?

7 Aug: ''Your request was received on 2 August 2007 and will be processed in accordance with the Act'' (by 31 Aug)

31 Aug: ''the FSA will not be able to respond to your request in full within 20 working days. In these circumstances, we should be in a position to respond to your request by 28 September''

28 Sept: ''The FSA is still not in a position to be able to reply...I hope to be in a position to respond to you by 19 October''

For an outfit that proudly calls itself ''The Information Access Team'', it's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

I have now made a complaint to the Information Commissioner and the Complaints Commissioner as you are in clear breach of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I demand that you release the information I request immediately and without further prevarication.

EXC

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X