• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How To Remove Searches Done On Your File By Unauthorised Sources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Remove Searches Done On Your File By Unauthorised Sources

Hi, Im just going through the process of a remortgage to get a better rate (what with rates having fallen and the like since I signed up for my 5 year fixed rate) etc. etc. etc. but when Ive got my credit file online, everything is fine apart from there are searches that have been done on there in the last 12 months by companies that a) I have never authorised to search me and b) I know nothing about.

How do I get these searches by unauthorised companies removed from my file. I hear the more searches that have been done on you in the last 12 months it affects your credit status and mine is good with the exception of Ive been told by my lovely mortgage guy, the fact that so many companies have done searches on me in the last 12 months. I took a loan with First Plus last May to do up the place in France and they searched me at the time of checking me out for the loan no less than 20 times in a month. Why the heck would this be, ??? And there are also 4 searches on there last May June by companies who I have never even heard of or never authorised to do searches on me. Anybody know how I stand on getting these searches removed and finding out who did them and why and demanding they remove them as I never authorised these.

Ta muchly moodle.

Fendyweather xxx
    Natwest Round 1 - Won £16,080 after 6 month battle :roll:
    Abbey Round 1 - Won £5,580 after 5 month battle :okay:
    Capital 1 Credit Card - Won £1230 in 2 months
    Capital 1 Cred Card for Hubby - Won £1560 in 2 months :kiss:
    Abbey MBNA Credit Card - Won £2210 in 3 months
    Halifax Credit Card - Won £1680 in 2 months

THE WAY FORWARD ON THESE CLAIMS, IS TO STAY POSITIVE, FOCUSED AND PATIENT, AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS BELIEVE ITS WORTH THE EFFORT, BECAUSE IT TRULY IS. WHY CHOOSE THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE WHEN THERES NOTHING TO LEARN FROM THAT. THINK OF CLAIMING AS A PERSONAL CHALLENGE AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

Now Gunning for
    Natwest round 2
    Abbey Round 2
    Yorkshire Bank round 1
    A further £6000 to come back from above 3 when I win.:roll:

Re: How To Remove Searches Done On Your File By Unauthorised Sources

Hiya Fendyweather,

When you find out this information, I would be more than happy to know as well, as myself and my hubby have loads of companies on ours too. Half of them we have never heard of either.
    Also I was under the understanding that once a certain period of time as lapsed these are supposed to be removed. We have some on ours going back 6 yrs and more.

I swear to god the credit refernce agencies must have shares or get some kind of bonus for bumping up the amount of interest a person can and has to pay when they really shouldnt be.

I reckon they should be fined or something for incorrectly holding out of date information on a person.

Ladidi

Originally posted by Fendyweather View Post
    Hi, Im just going through the process of a remortgage to get a better rate (what with rates having fallen and the like since I signed up for my 5 year fixed rate) etc. etc. etc. but when Ive got my credit file online, everything is fine apart from there are searches that have been done on there in the last 12 months by companies that a) I have never authorised to search me and b) I know nothing about.

How do I get these searches by unauthorised companies removed from my file. I hear the more searches that have been done on you in the last 12 months it affects your credit status and mine is good with the exception of Ive been told by my lovely mortgage guy, the fact that so many companies have done searches on me in the last 12 months. I took a loan with First Plus last May to do up the place in France and they searched me at the time of checking me out for the loan no less than 20 times in a month. Why the heck would this be, ??? And there are also 4 searches on there last May June by companies who I have never even heard of or never authorised to do searches on me. Anybody know how I stand on getting these searches removed and finding out who did them and why and demanding they remove them as I never authorised these.

Ta muchly moodle.

Fendyweather xxx

Comment

I'm interested in seeing the answer to this as well.

Comment

Searches "fall off" after 3-6 months depending on the level/type of search.

Comment

Have you contacted the companies, or checked out what they do?
          Had any insurance quotes etc, the underwriter name may be diff from the company providing the info.

ie X finance may be offering the loan, but using Y finance, so Y finance may appear on your search, hence not knowing who they are.
          Post Office Car Insurance is done by BISL

That type of thing

Comment

From Experian

What do I do if there's a search on my report that I know nothing about?

Contact the lender who made the search and ask for further details. If the lender agrees to remove a search they will tell us and we will change your report. It may be that the search is in the name of a finance company used by a smaller company which you may know.

Experian - What do I do if there's a search on my report that I know nothing about?

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
              Searches "fall off" after 3-6 months depending on the level/type of search.
              From Experian

However, it should also be noted that searches are only kept on your credit report for 12 months.

Comment

Hiya Pkea,

I think Experian are pulling the wool over our eyes then, cos me and my hubby hav searches on our records going back 6 yrs.. how do I get them to take them off if they are than the 12 months old they are stating?

Comment

Did the searches turn into finance or agreements?

I will have a better look tomorrow, but I believe that YOU can see ALL searches in the last 6 years, but LENDERS can only see the LAST YEAR of searches on you.

Comment

Hi all, yes PKEA, thats how I understand it too. A search is where somebody has literally searched your file. I have been told they can only keep these on your file for a year, but there are some on there on mine too that go back a couple of years which should not appear surely. I have been told by Experien that only the person who owns the report, ie. me can see further back than 12 months on how many searches have been done, but that Mr. Credit man searching your file cannot see further back than 12 months.

However, and this is where the other information comes into play (Ladidi), they are allowed to keep records on you of every credit deal youve ever had, for 6 years and allowed to show that to Mr. Credit man who is searching you.

That I dont doubt. That is fine. But I know for fact, there are searches on there done on me that I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER AUTHORISED, NOT EVEN BY A THIRD PARTY, via a third party if you see what I mean. And I need to get these removed because my nice Mr. Mortgage broker guy says it is affecting my credit file. The more searches you have had done, the worse it looks to potential new lenders, WHETHER OR NOT you ever even took out those credit offers that were made based on the searches. I do know pretty much everything there is to know about credit files and how they work, I really do, but this one leaves me cold. I dont know how to reach the companies concerned who did the searches, because a) I have never heard of them, and even when Ive googled them, I find find anything relating ot them and b) in the case of first plus whom we did take a secured loan out with on our house, they searched me over 20 times in a 2 month period whilst the loan was going through. Why the hell 20 times, and how can this be allowed. I only authorised 1 search. No more. Its making my file look bad Ive been told by Mr. Mortgage guy.

I just want them to remove the searches that I never authorised. The ones I did, fine............... I just want the ones I didnt authorise to be removed, cos all in all, there is over 44 of them for gawds sake. and half by companies I know nothing of who were never given permission to search me.

Aghghghgghghghghg, infuriating. Theres no way Im going to go down the route of remortgaging with anybody other than a premier high street lender again just because of searches on my file. My actual file is squeaky clean, no missed payments, no CCJ's or defaults at all, but apparently all that is stuffing me up at the moment is the amount of searches in the last bloody 12 months. MENTAL.............................

THE WAY FORWARD ON THESE CLAIMS, IS TO STAY POSITIVE, FOCUSED AND PATIENT, AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS BELIEVE ITS WORTH THE EFFORT, BECAUSE IT TRULY IS. WHY CHOOSE THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE WHEN THERES NOTHING TO LEARN FROM THAT. THINK OF CLAIMING AS A PERSONAL CHALLENGE AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

Now Gunning for
                    Natwest round 2
                    Abbey Round 2
                    Yorkshire Bank round 1

Comment

Originally posted by Fendyweather View Post
                      I only authorised 1 search. No more.
                      Unfortunatly you don't, you just give them authority to search your record when they see fit, although twenty times is excessive.

I would write to Experian and get the contact addresses for although the companies who have done searches on you that are unknown, then write to them to ask them to remove the searches.

Comment

I presume this is an independant mortgage guy with any fees paid from companies he places you with.

He may get a bigger kick back from other mortgage companies so is trying to cloud you that there is no point in trying a high street lender.

Have a read of this thread too
                        Legal Beagles

when we tryed for our mortgage the first guy said aour credit was bad and we needed a sub prime mortgage.
                        we went to another advisor who said theres nothing too bad with our record and got us a mortgage with Bank of Scotland.

Don't always take the advisors word for gospel, get more than one point of view. Times are hard, the advisors need to make as much as they can.

Comment

OH and I tried to remove searches and wrong markers a couple of years ago and failed so what we did was...

Got a copy of all three of our credit files, (we use checkmyfile.com gives all 3 files, searches and credit score) then we went on Martins site looked at his chart of which bank or mortgage company uses which credit agency.

I then applied to companies that used which ever agency had given me the best credit file! I do this for credit cards as well. It is amazing how very very different my credit files even though they should all technically have the same information.
                          Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
                          Me VS Abbey Win
                          BIL HSBC Credit Card
                          BIL EGG
                          BIL HSBC Loan
                          BIL PPI Win

Comment

OOoooooh interesting Mocha. V. interesting. But its all a bit hit and miss and very mad and mental in my opinion.

Ta for advice PKEA, but luckily Im a bit of an expert on mortgages (the one area, where nobody can ever pull the wool over my eyes), and I am aware of which brokers get what, financially for putting you to whichever companies. Hence why Ive just told mine to bog off because he wont divulge his cut for placing me with whomever. Motto of this tale.............. Im going to search around myself for a couple more months, then go with whom I think is the best, means a bit more leg work, but very worth it I believe.

Ta though. All your lovely comments are so helpful and always always welcome. Thank you so much. Fendy xxxxxx

Now Gunning for
                            Natwest round 2
                            Abbey Round 2
                            Yorkshire Bank round 1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X