• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dyslexia a cruel fiction, says MP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyslexia a cruel fiction, says MP

Dyslexia a cruel fiction, says MP - Yahoo! News UK

A Labour MP has claimed dyslexia is a myth to cover up bad teaching of reading and writing.

Dyslexia a cruel fiction, says MP

Graham Stringer, MP for Manchester Blackley, also suggested there was a link between illiteracy and crime - as prisons were full of people unable to read and write.
    He described the condition as a "cruel fiction" and suggested the dyslexia "industry" should be "killed off" through the "magic bullet" of teaching children to read and write by using a phonetic system of sounding letters and words.
    He made the comments while writing a column for Manchester Confidential, an entertainment and review website about the city. Mr Stringer said he has visited Strangeways jail in his constituency and of the prison population, roughly 80% of inmates are functionally illiterate and a similar number are drug abusers.
    "I don't believe in panaceas, but I am confident that if the rate of literacy were improved there would be an inevitable decline in crime. Children who cannot read or write find secondary school a humiliating and frustrating experience. Their rational response, with dire consequences, is to play truant.
    "Drugs, burglaries, robberies and worse, then, often, follow."
    Shirley Cramer, chief executive officer of the educational charity Dyslexia Action, said: "Once again dyslexia seems to be making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
    "It is frustrating that the focus should be on whether dyslexia exists or not, when there is so much evidence to support that it does. It is true that there is a strong link between literacy and unemployment."
    "And we know from our own research that there is a higher percentage of offenders amongst the prison and probation populations who are dyslexic or have literacy difficulties.
    "However, these individuals are no more likely to commit a crime and the associated links are the result of reduced opportunity due to poor educational attainment."

Re: Dyslexia a cruel fiction, says MP

Oh great, just what people dealing with dyslexia want to hear.

Illiteratacy and poor education is entirely seperate to dyslexia. Yes it can be helped with good education and possibly more people than needed are labelled as dyslexic when they aren't, but for an MP to put the entire population of people struggling with dyslexia down, well, spit spit.

Would like to see what the MP ACTUALLY said about Dyslexia as they havent quoted that bit.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The arogant twot.
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyolddog View Post
        The arogant twot.
        Isn't he just....

My son is dyslexic and is at one of the top schools in the county..All ********!

If he had been at a low performing school, they probably wouldn't have picked it up!

Comment

I have never heard so much utter rubbish in my life.

I have a Nephew with Dyslexia.

Before he spouted such rubbish he should have done some research first.
          Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X