• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Help with a letter please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a letter please

My son has just had to give his job up as they cut the hours back by half and changing his start time to 5am an impossible time for him to get there.
    When he first started work he was contracted 42 hrs per week 6 days.
    He started on 9th Sept and his first pay day was 3rd Oct he got paid for 57 hrs.
    The supervisor told him it was against company policy to employ anyone who did not have a bank account, but he would take him on and the hrs he had worked he would spread a few at a time over the next few months.
    The hrs were never added. He has been to CAB today and they told him he must ask for the money he is owed to be paid giving them 14 days. If they refuse then to go back to CAB and they will take it further.
    So I need a nice firm letter asking for the money please.
    Bye the way the lad rang the comapny and they would not deal with the matter at all, they stated everything had to go through his immediate supervisor.
    Thank you Enaid x
    P S also to include this as a weeks notice letter.
    Last edited by enaid; 13th January 2009, 16:59:PM.

Re: Help with a letter please

Has he worked 57 hours a week every week or just once?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
      Has he worked 57 hours a week every week or just once?

I was going to ask that! Also do you know if he signed a 48hr opt out?
      Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
      Me VS Abbey Win
      BIL HSBC Credit Card
      BIL EGG
      BIL HSBC Loan
      BIL PPI Win

Comment

He started on 9th Sept worked 42 hrs per week as per contracted hrs.
        Got paid for the first time 3rd October after working 4 weeks for 57 hrs.
        They are paid fortnightly.

Comment

Di just a thought but why don't you put down here what you want in the letter, ie make a start and then peeps can pop in and fine tune it for you.

I know that your son wasn't employed by them very long hun and ergo not covered by employment law, but I do feel that he's the victim of a viscious supervisor and perhaps (I only say perhaps) a mention of contructive dismissal or such could be made.

Just my thoughts hun.

Comment

Have been working on something but not been about much, will post it later tonight or tomorrow when i can get on the other lappy
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

OK Nelly , just need to clarify a few points if I can, before I post up the finished result.

He started on the 9/9/08 a Tuesday? If so, did he work a full 6 days that week or just 5 (I`m thinking he wouldn't have been paid for the Monday ok) He started Mon 8/9/08

Did he then work his 42 hrs every week from then on, no overtime, no time off, and do the hours include dinner breaks etc, if so are they paid ones. Sorry am just trying to do the maths on the actual hours worked that should be paid for. Yes he worked 42 hrs, no ime off and no overtime for first couple of weeks.

He was then paid every fortnight (84 hrs), the first one that was paid into the new bank account being on the 3/10/08 yes? Was this for the preceding fortnight or just one weeks worth? You mention it was for 57 hours, I am just wondering if they have added 57-42=15 hours on top of his contracted 42 hours for that week.
              He was then paid every fortnight his first pay day being for 57 hrs. I am going to pm you all his pay day and hrs, this way you will see that there are lots of hrs missing even though he was a fortnight in hand.
              Thanks for this Tools I really appreciate it. Nelly x

His supervisor told him that the hours worked before he set up a bank account would be added to his following wages in chunks of several hours over the next few months, is this correct? Yes

If his actual hours worked were 42 would you double check for me that any extra hours have not been added to his pay slips over the last few months, just so I can state either way in the letter. A detailed list would be good if you could i.e:-

Fortnight(or week) ending 16/9/08 = xx hours
              Week ending 23/9/08 = xx hours
              Fortnight (or week) ending 30/9/08 = xx hours

and so on, so I can add these to the letter for you. Yes I will do this because after the first couple of weeks he did extra hrs on a tuesay. It will also show when his hrs were cut back to 30 per week.
              Last edited by enaid; 16th January 2009, 06:22:AM.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

P S also to include this as a weeks notice letter.
                This may cause difficulties claiming benefits.........

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
                  This may cause difficulties claiming benefits.........
                  He has already signed on for job seekers, he went straight away told them the situation. The chap at JSA office told him to go to CAB which we have done.
                  I thought handing in his notice would be the best thing to do, he can't possibly do the hours they have given him now.
                  Thanks for your input, very much appreciated.
                  Enaid x

Comment

Ok the lad got a result.
                    He went to a Grievance meeting and they found in his favour.
                    He was owed just over £1000 all together so after tax he got £790. That means I get my board money for another month at least and puts a smile back on his face for a couple of weeks too.
                    Thanks for the help folks.
                    Enaid x

Comment

Well done Nelly and son. Good result.

Tell him Beryl sends her regards lol.

Comment

Well done xx
                        Is no longer here

Comment

Good Stuff!
                          Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
                          Me VS Abbey Win
                          BIL HSBC Credit Card
                          BIL EGG
                          BIL HSBC Loan
                          BIL PPI Win

Comment

Well done Enaid...

Told you he was owed the money.

xxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X