• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HFO Services, need a bit of advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HFO Services, need a bit of advice

Over the last week, my wife has been getting several phone calls a day about a 3mobile bill that HFO Services say is outstanding from 2004, for about £250, my wife and I don't believe we owe this money as we finished our contract with 3 payed the bill and moved to another provider.
    The people phoning have been very rude and quite aggressive both to my wife and my 15 year old daughter, when my wife said she didn't owe the money and wanted proof from them that we owed it, they said it was up-to us to prove we didn't owe the money and we should pay now and then claim it back if the debt wasn't true.
    I spoke to them yesterday morning at about 08:45 i was confronted by a very rude man asking for my wife, when i said she wasn't in, he said that "he thought she was and she was in bed and i should just get her, because this is a very serious situation and its getting out of control". (how very rude) after about 10 Min's of arguing with this man i eventually found out his companies name HFO, the man continued telling me how this serious situation was getting out of control and was getting more and more rude so I just put the phone down on him.
    I believe that they are in breach of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, so I am going to put a complaint in about them, also I will write to them asking them to prove we owe the debt (which we don't) and that I don't want anymore phone calls and all correspondence should made in writing.
    Has anyone else out there had dealings with this company? if so any advice would be great, as I have done some research about them and they seem a nasty piece of work, very threatening and making false and probably illegal threats to people. ( I read a thread that they had told a lady she should pay or they would send her to prison ) If this is true it is shocking behaviour.

Lee

Re: HFO Services, need a bit of advice

I had a good result recently with Thames Crudit and an alleged debt.
    Thry this:
    Dear Sir or Madam,
    Re. Reference number: XXXXXXXX

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 3rd November, the contents of which are noted.

Despite making contact with yourselves and requesting that you substantiate your claim, you have chosen to respond with further demands for payment.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to any company.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions. I expect a response within FOURTEEN (14) days of the date of this letter.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

Yours faithfully,
    Edit as needed, it's really just a twist on the classic Prove iT letter.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks Curlyben, will get onto that straight away

Lee

Comment

Lee, bear in mind this is simply an opener for this one, but don't worry I have some excellent follow ups if they persist

Comment

HFO Will ignore everything you send and will continue to harass and call even after TS intervention.

I was on the verge of issuing proceedings against them, when they finally stopped the calls

Comment

Hello again, I have been away for a few day, so sent letter today recorded delivery to HFO Services, There were 2 contact addresses on their website one in the UK and one in India, so I sent it to the UK address, hopefully its the right one.
            My wife had a phone call today from them, so she explained that we have sent a letter to them asking them to send us conformation of the debt, (as we have had nothing on paper saying we owe it, only phone calls) the man said to her he was not interested in letters because they ar a waste of time because they take too long and she should just pay the debt now. He also said that if she didn't pay now she wold incurr charges and soliciters fees, then said something about 6 years at 12% per annum (not sure what thats about) alledged debt is only 4 years old. He also said that unless we could not prove we didn't owe the money then the debt stands, I thought it was the other way round that they had to prove we owed it, if they do provide evidence that we do I don't mind paying it, but this has just come out of the blue, no evidence just very rude phone calls, demanding money.
            I also thought that if a company sold a debt on they had to inform you what was happening, we haven't even a letter from H3G themselves asking for this money, so I am very concerned of what is going on, added to that the rudeness of HFO on the phone.
            I will keep you informed, as I may need some help on this one

Many thanks

Lee

Comment

Sounds like typical bully boy tactics to me.

Right the next time they call answer them and inform them that YOU are recording the call and that you require ALL further communication to be in writing for the avoidance of doubt.

They wont like that, but tough.
              Play the game, or whistle for the, alleged, money.
              Quite simple really

Comment

Thanks again Curlyben, as I said if they provide evidence than I dont mind paying, but i'm not going to give my card details to a stranger in India with no idea of who is getting them.

Comment

Hello again, finally HFO have responded to my letter I sent them, they sent me 2 statements the 1st dated 25/04/2005 for £203.81 then another dated 03/02/2007 for £163.05, my wife finished the contract with 3 in 2004, so I take it there must have been an outstanding debt of £203.81 and she must have paid £40 and not paid again which leaves the balance of £163.05 so by the looks of it HFO are right and we do owe them money, which I don't mind paying now they have given proof of the debt, but I don't understand why when we spoke to them on the phone and they were so so rude and wouldn't send proof of the debt, If I was to send them another letter now, am I right in thinking that I can offer them a monthly payment of £x (what we can afford each month say £20) untill the debt is payed off??

Many thanks for all your help

Lee

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X