• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barts v TFC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barts v TFC

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to help my close friend & I offered to write their letters for them to reclaiming the unlawful charges.

He took out loan with TFC, for a car in 2004, for £7,325.00 in 2004 & the payments were £306.32 per month & finished last July, 4 years ago, he was desperate for a car & couldn’t get a loan because of his bad credit history but he managed to get a loan from TFC & the car salesman took full advantage of his position & he ended up signing for a car that he couldn’t afford with a 38.3% interest rate APR, the salesman didn’t explained to him at the time because of his disability.

Also I noticed they’ve sold him with PPI & ‘Gap Insurance’ at the time
    (I will ask him if he was told at the time that without these insurances, he would not get the loan)

Can anyone please advice me which fees he can claim back?

Loan ….. £7.325.00 total £19,463.56
    Monthly payment £306.32
    Interest debited £6,683.36
    Credit Protection Insurance = 279.77 monthly payment
    Gap insurance….. £306.32.
    2 Year Warranty….£695.00

Option fee………..£195.00
    Admin Fee……….£370.00
    Unpaid Direct Debit Fee….£250.00
    Default Fee (Memo)…… £500.00

Many thanks

Re: Barts v TFC

Originally posted by Shira View Post
    Credit Protection Insurance = 279.77 monthly payment
    You can make a claim for this if it was mis-sold

Unpaid Direct Debit Fee….£250.00
    Default Fee (Memo)…… £500.00
    You think you need to double check these figures, should be £25 & £50 I think.
    These you can possibly claim back if they have occured

Many thanks
    Have you got a copy of the credit agreement. as well as a statement of account listing any charges levied

PKea

Comment

Hi Pkea, thanks for your reply, the charges are correct when I added them all up. I think he kept all the original copies & a copy fo statement of account but I cant find the one for the PPI but will leave that out till last.

One more thing, will the loan be on hold like the banks?

Thanks Shira

Comment

"with a 38.3% interest rate APR, the salesman didn’t explained to him at the time because of his disability. "

Can you explain this part in your post. Are you inferring that your friend was not capable of understanding the agreement he signed?
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Originally posted by Shira View Post
        Hi Pkea, thanks for your reply, the charges are correct when I added them all up. I think he kept all the original copies & a copy fo statement of account but I cant find the one for the PPI but will leave that out till last.

One more thing, will the loan be on hold like the banks?

Thanks Shira

the court case only refers to current accounts
        Last edited by scoobydoo; 22nd November 2008, 17:01:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Thank for your reply, he is profoundly deaf that is why he was not capable of it. I am having trouble finding a suitable prelim letter for the loan.

Thanks

Comment

Hi, Can someone point me in the direction of a template for reclaiming loan charges from TFC please, I can only seem to find Credit Card & Bank ones.
            THanks

Comment

HI Shira,

Here's a draft you could use for return of the charges ( Unpaid Direct Debit Fees of £250.00 and Default Fees of £500.00 ). You will need a different letter to reclaim the PPi charges which you should do seperately.

I really would like to see a copy of the terms and conditions though Shira and advise you to post them up here before sending of the preliminary letter.

Rgds Budgie

I am writing to request a refund of £xxxxx for penalty charges levied from my account No xxxxxxxxxxxxx between xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx plus interest of £xxxx.

I believe that your charges were disproportionately high and did not reflect any actual or real loss incurred by you as a result of my breaches of contract. Therefore your charges constituted contractual penalties, which are irrecoverable at common law. It is held that a contractual party may only recover damages for an actual loss or liquidated losses.
              However, if you wish to contend that your charges were not penalties, please demonstrate this by supplying me with a full breakdown of the costs to which you were been put by as a result of my breaches of contract, details of all actions required to make up these costs and an explanation of how you arrived at the sums charged.

In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79.

I have used an interest rate of xx% when calculating interest which is the approximate average rate as applied to my account during the above referenced period. I have applied this rate to my request as you have unlawfully applied penalty charges that you had no right to, which therefore amounts to your unauthorised borrowing of my money. Further, you denied me the opportunity to invest funds unlawfully taken from my account, denied me the economic benefit of these funds in the first instance, and have been unjustly enriched having been able to re-lend, and profit from money that rightfully belonged to me, at commercial rates.

Please return the total amount of £xxxx within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours sincerely

Comment

Hi Bud
                Thank you very much for the draft letter. Can I use the statutory interest spreadsheet?

I am having problems downloading the attachments due to not being able to resize my file

Thanks Shira

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X