• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal fees of £2400, winnings of £200

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal fees of £2400, winnings of £200

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5176273.ece

From The Times

November 18, 2008

Legal fees of £2400, winnings of £200

Case study: Mr I

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;}Beresfords often banked more money for its work on a coal health claim than the total sum of damages awarded to its client.

The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal heard yesterday of a case in which the law firm represented the widow of Mr I., a dead miner, and earned more than ten times the sum that was awarded to her.

The offer of damages made to Mr I.’s estate, on behalf of the Government, was £281.77, a sum that Beresfords advised Mr I.’s widow to accept.

The solicitors’ firm was paid £2,431.08 by the Government for handling the claim, but it was not happy to stop there.
    Related Links

Mr I.’s widow had signed a no-win, no-fee agreement with Beresfords, which entitled the firm to claim a percentage of her damages as a success fee. A member of staff asked Doug Smith, one of the partners, whether, given the tiny award, he wanted to waive the fee. Mr Smith had no such intention. He refused, telling the employee to “claim the success fee to which we are entitled”. This led to another £64.04 being deducted.

The result was that Mrs I. was left with £217.73. Its £64.04 success fee raised Beresfords’ earnings in the case from £2,431.08 to £2,495.12.

Re: Legal fees of £2400, winnings of £200

Some solicitors are simply disgusting... no moral fibre whatsoever.

Tom
    I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
    Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

Yes it's a terrible story but the government are as much to blame IMO.

Comment

Guilty and struck off.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5325602.ece

Comment

Excellent news, Justice is served, I hope they have to give it all back and are not allowed to continue to live on their profits.

Comment

Good news

Two solicitors whose firm was paid £136 million by the Government for handling compensation claims by sick miners were struck off yesterday after a disciplinary tribunal found them guilty of dishonesty.
            Jim Beresford and Doug Smith, whose misconduct was first exposed by The Times, were found to have acted with “conscious impropriety” in their dealings with a mining union that handed their law firm, Beresfords, thousands of industrial disease compensation claims.
            Mr Beresford, 58, has banked more than £30 million from his firm’s work on the claims and was named last year as Britain’s highest-earning solicitor. Between 2004 and 2006, he grew richer at a rate of £37,000 per day.

nice work if you can get it, grrr.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I'm sorry but EX is correct when he says the government is also responsible for this appalling case. They could have when setting up the fund insisted a fixed fee regime on the clear understanding that no compensation would be deducted for fees.

In addition they could have made it much easier for victims to claim rather than demand they be examined by an expensive consultant as apposed to accepting their GP medical records. The list goes on

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X