• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Saffy v Swintons (for Mum)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffy v Swintons (for Mum)

Here's the background:

My mum who passed away in July, bless her heart has always, always insured her vehicle through Swintons. So there I am with her beloved 1987 Astra Van on the drive. So I called Swintons beginning of August and informed them of her passing away, to which they said keep it insured till you sell it.
    So I finally plucked up the courage to put it on eBay and managed to raise £280 for it. Last Thursday evening the man came to collect and I tearfully waved the van away.
    On Friday I phoned Swintons to cancel the policy and to ask for a pro-rata refund of the money left over. My brother in law advised me to ask for that, he owned an insurance company for 36 years and actually sold it to Swintons 18 months ago.

Van insured on 8 April 2008 - runs out 18 March 2008 at a cost of £195 = £16.25 month. 5 months left = £81.25 to come back as I work it out.

I was told that the amount due back was £5.95, so I asked why its such a small amount and was told that it was due to 'risk', hmmm so 'what risk' and was met with 'to be honest I don't know, but thats the amount due back to you'
    Anyway being the hot headed red head that I am I completely lost it and basically said you are taking the pish and I want an explanation. I was informed then that I had to write in with a copy of the death Cert, the original insurance cert and a letter cancelling the policy.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not desperate for the money, but they have wound me up, so this is the letter that I fired off in temper and sent on Friday.

Dear

Further to my telephone call with /william, I wish to inform you that my mother passed away on 21 July 2008. I have now disposed of the vehicle, and enclose the Cert of Motor Insurance to be cancelled forthwith, and enclose a copy of the Death Cert for your files.

In would be grateful if you would send the pro rata refund to myself at the above address, which I have been given to understand will be £5.95. I must say I feel that this amount is disgusting, my mother paid £195 for her insurance and had been with Swintons (as have the rest of the family) for many, many years.

When I queried this with William he said that its because of risk etc. Perhaps you would like to furnish me with an explanation as to what risk you have from a person who is dead and under 6 feet of earth, and who is about as likely to drive the vehicle as I am of going on holiday to the moon.

I would add that your employee was talking Bovine Excrement (nicked that from curly) about this matter and could not furnish me with an explanation on the telephone when challenged, so I ask again please supply me with a full explanation as to how you arrive at the meagre figure of £5.95.

Yours

saffy

Hmmmm wonder what reply I will get !

Re: Saffy v Swintons (for Mum)

Saph have you looked at Little Sals thread on insurance cancellation.
    Insurance cancellation fee - Legal Beagles

They only pay a percentage out, not a pro rata figure, It will be in the policy docs

I quoted some fugures based on my policy

the cancellation charges on my car insurance are as follows:

if you cancel
    within 1 month 30%
    2 months 40%
    3 months 50%
    4 month 60%
    5 month 70%
    6 month 80%
    7 month 85%
    8 month 90%
    9 month onwards 100%
    Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Paul, I've had a look at that. When I spoke to John (my BIL) he said that in certain circumstances (ie Death) then most insurance companies do pay out Pro Rata, what he said to me yesterday was that the 'extra' has probably been swallowed up with Swintons own admin charges, so lets see where it gets me anyway.

Anyway I blame Cetelco (bless him) for starting all of this, I've been following his lead and am not taking any sh't anymore, for shoddy service or anything else

Comment

Based on my policy figures

Policy has run for 8 months
        90% of premium to cancel = £175.50
        Less payments made = £130.00
        Balance of refund = £45.50

You would need to check the policy docs for exact figures, it will exclude things like legal cover, breakdown etc

PKea

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X