• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Validity of Cheques

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validity of Cheques

Interesting that APACS say this:

Is it true that cheques are only valid for six months?

It is common banking practice to reject cheques that are over six months old to protect the payer, on the basis that payment may already have been made by some other means or the cheque may have been lost or stolen. However, this is at the discretion of individual banks. It should not be assumed that cheques in excess of six months old would automatically be rejected — the only certain way to cancel a cheque is to request that a stop be placed on it (although cheques backed by a Cheque Guarantee Card cannot be stopped). It is recommended that, if possible, customers in possession of cheques that are over six months old obtain a replacement. A cheque remains legally valid for six years.

Can I ask if there is any legality when we are told in the bank that it is valid for 6 calender months unless otherwise stated, ie Dividend cheques and some DWP cheques that have a shorter validity.
    Are APACS talking out of their posterior legally speaking?

Re: Validity of Cheques

Still looking for the information on this thread, but found something interesting(don't I always!!)
    http://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/fil...e_12_sep08.pdf
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    Ok, the business leaflet tells us that the number of cheques returned each day is around 0.5% so cross reference with the newsletter above and you will have a rough figure how many cheques are returned.
    http://www.apacs.org.uk/payment_opti...afletfinal.pdf
    This is the business leaflet on cheques 2-4-6 rule but doesn't answer my question.
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    I finally found the information I wanted. It is page 33 of the APACS guide to cheques. Anyone seen it in the terms and conditions of the account??
    http://www.apacs.org.uk/payment_opti...s2007FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by natweststaffmember; 17th November 2008, 21:23:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Re: Validity of Cheques

Yes, it would be better if the customers replace the cheques that are over six months old. Even though a cheque remains valid for six years, for better results customers should obtain a replacement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X