• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Post Office contract delayed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Office contract delayed

Delays in awarding a contract to handle millions of pension and benefit payments through a card account are "destabilising" the Post Office, MPs warned.
    A Government decision is eagerly awaited on the future of the Post Office Card Account (POCA), which more than four million customers use to receive benefit payments and pensions
    The contract for the account runs out early in 2010 and ministers will soon announce whether it will be retained by the Post Office or given to a rival. A leading Labour MP has warned that up to 6,000 post offices would be forced to close if the organisation does not retain the contract to run a card account.
    West Dunbartonshire MP John McFall, chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, said up to 3,000 branches could close even if the Post Office suffered a partial loss of the contract.
    The Business and Enterprise Select Committee said in a report that it was concerned about the Government's approach to the contract, which had been advertised on the basis of the most "economically advantageous" tender.
    "Although our primary concern is for those who need access to benefits, we are also concerned that the delays are destabilising Post Office Ltd, and for communities in rural and deprived urban areas, which rely on the Post Office for access to basic services," said the report.
    "The longer uncertainty continues, the harder it is for the Post Office to develop its long-term plans. Whoever wins the contract, existing POCA customers will need to be transferred to a successor account."
    The MPs said they were "naturally concerned" about the effects of the possible loss of the contract on the Post Office, which is already closing 2,500 branches this year, as well as on the taxpayer because of possible increased subsidises to maintain a national network of offices.
    "It is widely recognised that a decision to award the contract to an organisation other than Post Office Limited would have grave effects on the Post Office network. Even after the network change programme, more sub-post offices would almost certainly close," added the report.
    The Post Office is facing competition from the private company PayPoint, the country's biggest private payment network with 20,000 outlets in shops across the country, and another bidder, believed to be a bank.

Re: Post Office contract delayed

Here is what Paypoint offers it's cutomers at the moment.
    Not to be confused with PayZone which is much the same but I belive on a smaller scale.

PAYPOINT: POP INTO PAYPOINT
    PayPoint is the convenient and easy way to pay your household bills, top up your mobile phone and make other payments in cash.

Where can I pay?
    There are over 19,000 outlets across the UK, all located in local newsagents, convenience stores and forecourts, carefully selected for their long opening hours and friendly service.
    Please use our Agent Locator in the left hand margin to find your nearest PayPoint outlet.

What can I pay?
    We collect payments on behalf of hundreds of organisations such as British Gas, EDF Energy, Severn Trent Water, TV Licensing and Central London Congestion Charge. And as well as paying your bills you also can buy and top up international calling cards, prepaid debit cards and top up your mobile phone.

You can make hundreds of different types of payment at PayPoint. Just tell the retailer what payment you want to make, if you have been given a bill, card or meter key, hand it to the retailer with your payment and they do the rest. You get a receipt for every payment you make, and your account is credited the next working day

Comment

Re; change p/o card account to a bank account request letter.

Have just spoke to some .about this.the p/o card account which opened in 2003 wad only going to be temporary. Not only do you have to change to a bank or building society.you have to get a form and close your p/o account yourself.i think a lot of people will struggle to do all this.

Comment

Re: Re; change p/o card account to a bank account request letter.

I got another one of those letters this week, telling me to close my PO account and move to a bank - no thank you - I like my child benefit being completely safe in the post office card account. I'll do a scan of the carefully worded letter later.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Here we are;

So far as I am aware there is no legal requirement to change to a bank. I had a similar letter last year, and the year before.... think I posted them on here I'll have a look.

Attached Files
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Ahh here - http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...highlight=POCA

I'll post this one on there too.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X