• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Drop down kerb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop down kerb

At work we have a double drop down garage. Frequently one woman parks her car blocking one side of it and goes off for the day. This makes it very difficult entering and exiting the garage.
    There are no white or yellow lines.
    We have left polite notices on her car, but she still does it.
    The police just um and ah and do nothing.
    I believe that blocking an exit to the highway is illegal (although blocking an entrance to the garage is not). If the garage is full, the exit is blocked unless a lot of time is taken out shuffling the cars around.
    What is the law?
    And could someone point me to it, incase the police are not aware? Or is it legal to do this?
    It is unbelievably frustrating when the doctor can't park his car in a space in the garage because she is parked there. Or when he does, three workers have to leave the building to move their cars, because of her.
    Also very selfish of her. She seems to think that the drop down kerb means the space is saved for her.
    Seriously considering running a key down the side of the car! Except we have a camera there.
    Sally x
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Re: Drop down kerb

Sal I found this might be helpful not sure where in the country you are check with the local council, but reading around looks like it might be something for the police to deal with.

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/tr...ycrossings.htm
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Sally, I would take a photograph of her car parked over the dropped kerb, with her registration in view and keep a log of what days and what times she leaves the car over it.

I would then telephone the council and inform them. The local council nazis will love another excuse to issue a fine.

Comment

You could try contacting you local highways department to see if they can offer any support?? Or what about the Community Wardens - they might be able to offer some assistance???

Could some one else park there before she gets to the space? if the space is taken perhaps she will get tired of trying to park there and go annoy some one else???

Comment

Originally posted by littlesally View Post
          It is unbelievably frustrating when the doctor can't park his car in a space in the garage because she is parked there. Or when he does, three workers have to leave the building to move their cars, because of her.
          You could get the local council to put a doctors parking sign up, means noone else can park there but you would have free access to the garage.

Are any of the residents disabled? You could apply for a disabled bay?
          Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
          Me VS Abbey Win
          BIL HSBC Credit Card
          BIL EGG
          BIL HSBC Loan
          BIL PPI Win

Comment

The law for a dropped curb is very fluffy. If you have paid the council for the kurb then she is commiting an offence. If you (or someone at the place of work) have off your own backs put in the dropped kurb then she has commited no offence. You would have paid up wards of £500 to the council if it has been done by them. Also if the place of work has been bought with the drop kerb, try asking the council for the planning permition that would have been compleated IF they went via the council.

Sorry cant be of any more help

Comment

If there are no parking restrictions, ie doubles, singles etc then they can park on the highway
              But they do have to allow access when required. You can park across people s drives but you have to move to allow them access.
              IF you call the police they should make attempts to contact the owner, be a t the DVLA registered address.
              Do you know where they go after they have parked the car?
              Are you contacting the people because they are Actually blocking fulll access or just because they are parked there.
              If you are calling them because of the later they will do nothing, but if you are trying to drive into, or leave, (by vehicular means) the garage then they have a duty to do something about this.. to the extent that they can get the vehicle towed

PKea

Comment

On a deeper look I found that it is on offence to block the drive IF a car is parked there. Not an offence if there is a car wanting to get onto the drive. In the first instance police will act, on the second they wont

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                  On a deeper look I found that it is on offence to block the drive IF a car is parked there. Not an offence if there is a car wanting to get onto the drive. In the first instance police will act, on the second they wont
                  Because it is a double garage I am wondering how blocked it is.
                  Cars can get out, just, but it means staff have to leave work to drive out of the garage, let the trapped car out, then come back in - which as well as being a pain, is risky due to the client group we deal with - things can change very quickly, especially with no staff to monitor.

The police have been useless, they won't say if it's illegal or whether they can do anything - which comes as no great surprise with my experiance of Bournemouth police! They just say "oh yes, I can see what you mean" waffle a bit then leave!

PK - The garage is in constant use (doctor, CPN, nurse, shift change, managers coming at various times etc) so someone parking there is really inconvenient. No idea where she goes, but she comes and goes at different times, so looking out for her is difficult. We know it's a 'her' as a service user told us.

Will check to see about the doctor thing, I like that idea.
                  Actually will check all of it, and will take photo's, thank you,
                  Sally xx
                  Last edited by littlesally; 29th October 2008, 22:58:PM. Reason: Missed a letter out lol

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

Sally, give the council a call.

Also PKEA, on reading my second post it seems a bit abrupt. It wasnt meant to be.

Comment

I hate to say this, but 'some' Police are lazy.

Some will DO, some will 'FOB OFF'

One officer may spin you a line, whilst another may sort it.

It shouldnt be like this, be unfortunatly it is.

Originally posted by sam
                      Also PKEA, on reading my second post it seems a bit abrupt. It wasnt meant to be.
                      not sure what you are refering to, but as I havent noticed, it cant have been bad..lol

Comment

think you are right mate. Try prking across the speces. might work, ta

Comment

How about printing out the bit about dropped curbs and putting it on her windscreen..
                          Everyday for a week should mean she gets the message.

Also get one of your own staff to park there if it's empty, so the woman can't have that space.

Comment

Originally posted by breeze1996 View Post

Also get one of your own staff to park there if it's empty, so the woman can't have that space.
                            Well the nuts thing is that our manageress gets really annoyed with us for parking there lol
                            I suggested doing this as we are on site if we need to move to let someone out.
                            Traffic warden told me that even if we get a white line put across, it only means 'please be aware' it doesn't mean they can't park there. She said there is nothing they can do. I asked about blocking access to a highway but as it is a double garage she told me the car isn't strictly blocking.
                            Think that maybe the doctor only parking may be the way to go.
                            Sally xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X