• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

amskint and Scottish Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amskint and Scottish Power

Hello enaid THANK YOU for your welcome note.
    I am looking to see if anyone else has been hit by Scottish Power for an alleged debt recovery from a Pre-Pay meter. Jimmy / amskint

Re: amskint and Scottish Power

A couple of weeks ago Scottish Power changed our pre-pay meter from a card to the new key pre-pay. Then approx a week ago we got a letter from them stating that we owed them £320. Supposedly from a three month period in 2006 when they are claiming they did'nt receive any payments. They are now taking £17.50 a week out of the meter before any electricity is used (i.e. £2.50 standing charge and £15.00 debt recovery).
    We have tried to talk to them on the phone but to no avail, as far as they're concerned its not open for discusion. They won't even talk to CAB. Each time we try to talk to them on the phone they just keep hanging up on us. On one occasion I managed to get someone to talk to us, when I stated that if I have purchased electric cards from the Post Office and they had'nt passed it onto them, how is that my fault?.. ("Click") she just hung up on me again. On average we usually go through £15 of electricity per week but this can go upto £20 if we put the heaters on in the kids rooms during cold spells. However over the past week we've had to put an average of £7 per day in the meter, to keep it going. I'm not working and can't keep this up. (We don't have any receipts for 2+ years ago so can't prove it?.)
    Last edited by amskint; 26th October 2008, 13:27:PM.

Comment

Hi Amskint,

Welcome to the forum, your best move is to contact the energy watchdog for electricity and make a complaint to them, it is then their duty to launch an investigation, use this link for further information.

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/

Good Luck,
      HOD..Liam.
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

THANX HOD will look into it.. The period in question in 2006 we were having problems with the Scottish Power swipe card so we contacted them and they sent us out a new one, at the time they told us not to worry about anything as it had been sorted out!.. Acting on CABs advice we have wrote to them asking for copies of all corrospondance they have sent to us regarding this alleged debt since 2006 plus a detailed account of all payment's that they say is missing. I've also wrote to their complaints department regarding the attitude of their representatives.(I suppose in all fairness their just doing what there told to)

Comment

I tried that web site you gave me HOD, they have changed it to: www.consumerfocus.org.uk or www.consumerdirect.gov.uk for complaints, I tried filling in their online complaints form but it would not let me proceed until I gave specific dates, since I could'nt do this I just came off the site. I will call them today though, the number is: 08454 04 05 06 just incase anyone else out there needs to contact them.

Comment

Hi Everyone..

I got a series of emails yesterday from Scottish Power complaints deptartment stating that they had looked into my account details, and cleared the debt plus credited my account with all the money that they had taken out.
            We checked the meter this morning and they have done this, but no other exclamation on how this allged debt came about nor any of the info we requested from them was ever given to us.
            I should be thankfull I suppose that it has been sorted.
            I've kept copies off the eMails for future reference, just in case?..

amskint
            Last edited by amskint; 8th November 2008, 13:00:PM. Reason: I had given the impression that Only one eMail was sent, when in fact there was three.

Comment

That's brilliant news amskint, good to see it has been sorted.
              Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Fantastic result amskint, I would however push them for an explanation of how they alleged the debt was there in the 1st place, but only if you are 110% sure no debt existed, otherwise I would accept their wiping of the debt and let sleeping dogs lie.

Well done and thanks for sharing your story, will hopefully help a few more people who read the forum.
                Last edited by Tools; 9th November 2008, 11:22:AM. Reason: spelling
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Well done and thanks for posting the info. Thank goodness you persevered.
                  "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Hi Everyone.

I did contact SP for an explanation!..

I was told that during the period from July - September in 2006 when we had been given a new swipe card, that's when payments had apparently went missing. £190 had went into the old swipe card account and somehow £45 had went to British Gas, plus £85 in interest charges over the two year period
                    which brought it upto £320.
                    SP has now recovered all the missing payments, hence the refund etc..

amskint

Comment

Hey, my boyfriend has been hit by scottish power too! he had a bar and restaurant and scottish power cut his electricity supply because the previous owner owed them money. he has now lost his business and as you know, trying to talk to anyone at scottish power is impossible, he gets the phone put down on him. Thing is, they know they haven't supplied his business since 2006, he only bought it in 2007 but still they say they want the money in CASH!!! we don't know what to do, he now owes a lot of money to people as the business has been closed for 3 months as scottish power wont turn it back on til they have the cash. Not even a cheque!! help pls!!!:help:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X