• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Oh dear tis me again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear tis me again

Ok I'll start at the beginning.
    Last year my dad asked me took look at his car ins renewel. I did this and as the amount was a bit over £400 and for 3rd party, fire and theft, I looked on tinternet see if I could get it cheaper for him or at least fully comp (he thought he was fully comp by the way).
    I managed by going through Saga and tinternet to save him well over £100 and with full cover beit his excess's were a little higher.
    My dad has gone through Swinton ins brokers for years and has always thought they found him the best policies at the best prices.
    So last year I rang Swinton and told them he had got his ins cheaper and even discussed the details of his old policy to see that the details were correct. This by the way is on their computor so they do know someone rang about this.
    After this phone call they rang my dad, who also told them he had gotten cheaper ins and they must have said to him well any problems get back to us or something similar. This info is also on their computor.
    Now it turns out they took a DD out of his account for this ins, so he has had duel ins for the last 12 months.
    My dad at the moment cant remember what he did 2 mins ago, so trying to go back 12 months is no chance.
    I went in the Swinton office yesterday and they said I need proof of the other policy, that will have to be sent off than the 2 ins co's will have to wangle it out. They may pay half each back one may pay all back or he will get nothing back.
    Now I tend to think it is down to the broker, as on two occasions they were told my dad had a cheaper policy.
    I would like your opinions please before I go back in the branch to try and sort this out.
    This is not a couple of quid by the way it's over £400.
    Thanks Enaid xx

Re: Oh dear tis me again

Well certainly sounds like Swintons should refund the DDs they have taken. If your dad didn't renew and told them he wasn't renewing cause of a cheaper policy elsewhere, then its their problem unless he signed an agreement etc with swintons for the new policy. did he actually have two policies or did Swintons just not cancel the DD for the old policy ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

They said that it was up to my dad to cancel the DD, they took it all upfront last year.
      I just wonder what they would have done if it had been a cash payment due as his house and contents ins are with them.

Comment

Did he actually renew the policy with Swinton's? Did they send him the paperwork? Cos if not, then they should pay it back. If they knew he was not renewing then it is rubbish for them to say he should have cancelled the dd, it should have been their responsibility not to take it, if you see what i mean. Although i always use the belt and braces approach and cancel it myself just in case. Would the Direct Debit Guarantee not cover this?
        Is no longer here

Comment

I did the new policy with Saga on the 12th November last year that would be within a day or two of when I phoned Swinton to tell them he had gotten a cheaper policy from Saga.
          The renewal with Swinton wasn't infact due until the 29th November so I told them at least 2 weeks before it was due.
          They still took the money out and sent my dad his policy, he thinking i had sorted out his new insurance as i did would have not bothered with it.

Comment

Send them an SAR.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              Ok I'll start at the beginning.

So last year I rang Swinton and told them he had got his ins cheaper and even discussed the details of his old policy to see that the details were correct. This by the way is on their computor so they do know someone rang about this.
              After this phone call they rang my dad, who also told them he had gotten cheaper ins and they must have said to him well any problems get back to us or something similar. This info is also on their computor.
              Now I tend to think it is down to the broker, as on two occasions they were told my dad had a cheaper policy.

Thanks Enaid xx

Well if it's on their computer, you need to see exactly what's been put on their computer. And if there is a note there saying "Mr Enaid's Dad has found a cheaper policy and is cancelling" or similar, then I would say they are up ***** creek without a paddle. Cos if you have proof that they were told he wouldn't be renewing then it comes down to their error. So they pay up. Simple. Presumably an SAR would get the info they hold on your dad? Probably just the threat of it might be enough to get them to come round to your way of thinking?
              Is no longer here

Comment

Well was going to do that but first I will ask them to print off the info off the computor, if they won't that's my next plan. Thanks Amy and Wendy xx
                I was also going to ask if they record ALL calls then i would know exactly what i said.

Comment

Take a SAR request with you. Then if they don't play nicely and print the info off the computer, go to plan B. It will save you a journey and the cost of recorded delivery lol. And they won't be able to deny receiving it.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

Wendy. you just beat me to this - A SAR should reveal everything you discussed and what actions they did or did not take.

But. one question I have to ask, did you or your father return the certificate of insurance to Swintons after he had taken out insurance with Saga. As by not returning the certificate would indicate that it was his intentioin to stay with them.

The easiest thing to do would be to enclose a 'copy' of the letter where you returned the certificate of Insurance and demand that they return ALL the money to your father. You or your father would not have been aware that they never received back the certificate as you would not have been any the wiser. I also agree under the DD' guarantee - you should be able to get this money returned. If you follow this route you WILL get the money returned.

How I hate Swinton,s with a vengence they were the cause of all our problems which started in 1990 - long story though will tell you all one day. I could write a book, I am sure it would become a best seller.

xxx

Comment

I sympathise.

My current car insurance sent me a renewal notice - I only read the bit about - "if you dont contact us we will automatically renew and the money will come out of your account on 20th Oct." Found cheaper insurance - told them and then had to pay an admin fee as they had actually automatically renewed in 15th Oct.

Today running your home paperwork is as bad as running an office - too much to think about.
                      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

My Brother in Law sold his independent insurance business to Swintons for a tidy sum, but believe me they were bloody hard for him to deal with. In fact it caused his partner to have a heart attack and he subsequently passed away.
                        My brother in law stayed on for 6 months after the sale as an advisor and to make sure everything went smoothly, £50k for 6 months work not bad eh.
                        Anyways Di, I'm going out with him on Saturday and will pick his brains for you.

Comment

Di I've just spoken to John and he said you should go in and talk to the Branch Manager, don't bother with one of the numpties behind the desk (his words not mine).
                          Explain what happened and say that Dad had his insurance organised with Saga so why would he have gone with Swintons again as they were too expensive, and state that they obviously knew that so therefore you know that Swintons should refund the money.

John also told me that its not Swintons policy to record telephone conversations although they may state that they do, and that they love Direct Debit because that enables them to run insurances from one year to another, in the vague hope that people won't cancel them and will just 'let it go' not realising that you should really 'cancel' the policy as it doesn't automatically cancel itself.

Hope that helps hun xxxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X