• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

changing your surname back to maiden name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing your surname back to maiden name

Does anyone know how or if this is possible before a divorce?

To change your married name back to your maiden name and also to change your child's to match yours?

Does it carry complications? Lots of my divorced friends still have their married names until they remarry?

Re: changing your surname back to maiden name

My old dear changed hers after her divorce and then remarried.

I think she did it via a Statutory Declaration.

I changed mine (non divorce) by statutory declaration - given the wording by CAB.

I then took it to a solicitor who witnessed it (charged a fiver - although this was 12 years ago) and I then sent it off to whoever needed it.

I have never had it questioned at all - even used it for a new passport, along with my birth certificate.

Once our children were born, they took my new surname.

I am unsure though how you would go about changing a child's name - doesn't the other parent have to agree?

Birdie

Comment

Changing your name: Changing a childs surname

Changing a Child's Surname - Law And Parents (UK)
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I changed mine back to my maiden name. I just went to the bank with my birth certificate and they did it. Getting a new passport was straight forward as well.
        Changing childrens names is a little bit more difficult, but I just informed the school that they would now be known as xxxx instead of yyyy, their passport remained in the old name. About 2 years later I changed it by deed poll with their fathers consent, and got them a new passport issued on production of the deed poll. Cost about £35 I think.........but that was a long time ago.

Comment

To change the name of a child under 18 both parents must agree after 18 the former child may do it without consent

In the very recent past you could call yourself anything you wanted without the need to produce legal docs. You just wrote to everyone including the N I, DVLA etc telling them of your new name

In these days of the fight against terror most institutions (& their jobsworths) insist on there being a formal document showing the change if name either a deed poll or more often a sworn declaration which today will cost no more the £10

Comment

I changed my name by deed poll back to my maiden name. It cost me 20 quid at the time to get back a name that I'd previously had for 24 years!
            Is no longer here

Comment

hiya all, I have a quick question to ask you all re the name change. I noted that it was posted that if a child below the age of 18 requires a name change that both parents must consent to this. But what if the name change has taken place and it was consented by one of the parents but not the other and at the time of this happening the child was 15? Is there a law against this? even thought his was done by deed poll or statutory declaration? Can the parent who signed the forms be prosecuted for false declaration in order to allow a childs name to be changed without the consent of the other parent?

If this the case that the name change took place without the consent of the other parent what does the parent who was never asked and never gave consent have to do?

Comment

Did the non agreeing parent have Parental Responsibilty at the time of the name change?

Comment

Parental responsibility may have only been a technicality as unless the child was a ward of the court both parents must agree to a name change pre18 as they must for adoption without a court order

However under the Childrens Act if by ordering the name change as being invalid caused the child serious problems it's highly doubtful that a court would make such an order

Comment

My kids named was changed in 2000 and it is pretty straight forward however if both parents are alive and both have PR then both signatures are required..........The courts(family) do not like the kids name to be changed when the absent parent objects and can make an order prohibiting it....I only changed my kids names as their father died, had he been alive there is no way I would have denied him HIS childrens surname.....Just my opinion thats all......

Comment

Since 9/11 name changing has become a little more complicated for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
                        Since 9/11 name changing has become a little more complicated for everyone
                        I disagree...............It costs £60 and can be done in a matter of days via a solicitor...........My daughter is 18 and we thought we had lost her name change deed so she got an appointment on Thursday to redo it(law firm has no back up copy as its older than 6 yrs) and it will be ready Tuesday so not that difficult at all!!!!!!!!!!!
                        And could you please expand on why you seem to think it is more difficult since 9/11 as I am confused by that comment and dont see the relevence of it........Unless I missed something........Cheers

Comment

Sorry your wrong as before 9/11 you could simply decide to use any name you chose without any payment or formal declaration & it was legal.

You could only be prosecuted if the name change was for the purpose of fraud & even then it was the fraud that was the illegal act. The name change was merely proof of the intention to defraud

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
                            Sorry your wrong as before 9/11 you could simply decide to use any name you chose without any payment or formal declaration & it was legal.

You could only be prosecuted if the name change was for the purpose of fraud & even then it was the fraud that was the illegal act. The name change was merely proof of the intention to defraud
                            I was told by a solicitor in 2000 that my kids names would have to be changed by deed and this is pre 9/11 so thats why am confused by it all:tung:

Comment

Let me say again but before 9/11 you could call yourself any name you wished without resorting to deed poll or a statutory declaration

You could write to the authorities DVLA, Passport, NI & say I wish to be known as Donald Duck from now forward & they would change your docs accordingly & it wouldn't cost you anything extra other than the normal fee for replacement docs
                              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                              I can't comment on your solicitors advice as I don't know your circumstances other than to say if it was a simple name change without complications he was wrong
                              Last edited by righty; 13th September 2008, 21:27:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X