• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot and CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot and CCJ

HI,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I have just discovered I have a CCJ from Cabot. It was issued in Aug 2016 and is for an Intelligent Finance Credit Card for £6k. I got divorced and moved around a lot and received a letter from Cabot at the address I now live it with my girlfriend asking me to contact them about paying the old credit card off. I sent a CCA request and they have responded saying I have a CCJ as above.

I am going to have to contact them to arrange some kind of payment plan. I currently have no income or assets following my divorce and live at the charity of my girlfriend in a house that she owns. I may however be in a position in the near future to offer them a substantial sum as F&F as I have been building a business for the last 2 years and should have some deals closing shortly.

My question is does anyone have any advice or experience of dealing with Cabot at this stage. I want to avoid any unpleasantness with bailiffs etc although as I have nothing they wouldnt get much of a result. Do I have any recourse if Cabot refuse to be reasonable and demand that i make monthly payments that I simply dont have the money to pay. I have heard that if they want to send bailiffs round they have to get a judge to approve that and I have the option to submit I believe its a N244 laying out what I can afford. I have always believed you cant be asked to pay what you dont have but would appreciate any advice here.

Thanks a lot for any input.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot and CCJ

You might want to consider making an application to set aside the CCJ and also having the claim stayed for a period of 1-3 months to discuss terms of settlement. If the CCJ is set aside, you could then re-issue a CCA request to which they must comply with and will also allow you an opportunity to put in a defence of non-compliance/unenforceability.

More information about the credit card would be helpful such as when it was taken out, last payment, when the debt was assigned etc. So there may be a chance that you could end up avoiding to pay anything but we would need to know the full circumstances of your case.

Did you update your address details when you moved around e.g. DVLA, electoral roll, credit reference agencies etc.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Rob.

The card was taken out in 2004 and I defaulted in 2011. I was making payments up until 2015 when I was going through my divorce so its not statute barred. I didnt keep anyone updated on my address changes as I moved around a fair bit and frankly it didn't really occur to me with my other life changes.

Could I still get the CCJ seat aside even a year and half later. I had thought you needed to do so in a sort period time. My defence would be that it may be unenforceable under CCA 78 but I didnt think you could do that.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Credit cards are not my specialty so I can't help you on that but in terms of setting aside a CCJ you need to make it promptly after becoming aware of it. If you are suggesting you became aware 18 months ago the answer is probably going to be a definite no. But if you only became aware recently, then it is a possibility. The link below is a guide on setting aside a CCJ, have a read if it applies to you so at least you have some knowledge of how it works.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ailed-version)
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

thanks rob

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X