• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car PCP: Early Settlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car PCP: Early Settlement

Hello R0b,

Does paying the full early settlement figure on a PCP clear all the outstanding finance including excess mileage? Or will a finance company still seek charges for miles in excess of the original agreement?

Any advice on this greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

skageRrak
    Tags: None

Re: Car PCP: Early Settlement

Hello

By paying the early settlement it would clear any excess mileage as the car would be owned by you, not the lender. It would seem absurd for them to charge you excess mileage on your own car, though I wouldn't put it past them trying! The contractual arrangement is the total price of the agreement less any discount for early settlement. Excess mileage charges tend to be imposed where the car is returned to the lender.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks. Very helpful. There seems to be an amazing amount of conflicting and confusing 'advice' on this particular issue from car sales personnel not to mention the generally unhelpful and misleading 'guidance' from finance companies.

Comment

Re: Car PCP: VT form and Section 100 of the Customer Credit Act 1974

Originally posted by skagerRak View Post
        Thanks. Very helpful. There seems to be an amazing amount of conflicting and confusing 'advice' on this particular issue from car sales personnel not to mention the generally unhelpful and misleading 'guidance' from finance companies.
        Hi,

A VT letter and form received from my car finance company - following several requests - looks informative and reasonable enough save for mention of my liability 'for the amount calculated under the formula in Section 100 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974'. Is this excess mileage chasing by another name and will signing this form, as requested, give the finance company more leverage in reclaiming any excess mileage? Do you think excess mileage should be negotiated or ignored and not paid given that all else with the vehicle and all payments are in good order, well over 50% of the value having been paid?

Comment

Do not confuse early settlement with voluntary termination that you see on here. Early settlement is a way to pay off the total balance with a deduction of interest remaining on the contract and the car then belongs to you. Voluntary termination limits your liability to 50% and the car is returned to the lender.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Car PCP: VT form and Section 100 of the Customer Credit Act 1974

Are you VT'ing and returning the car or making early settlement to keep the car ?

( or what R0b says - sorry R0b crossed posts )
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi R0b,

I understand the difference re Early Settlement and VT. I have not yet decided which route to take. I'm cautious about signing any forms that give the finance company more clout for claiming excess mileage. Any advice on this?

Comment

Personally I wouldn't sign any of their paperwork regarding VT. No legal obligation to do so and it doesn't affect termination of the agreement. You could in theory sign the paperwork but that's your prerogative and they will no doubt use that against you and at which point you are immediately on the back foot if it went to court. Fortunately, section 173 of the CCA says you cannot contract out of the provisions of the CCA where it affords the hirer protection so any paperwork that imposes additional liability directly or indirectly will be deemed void and unenforceable but you still put yourself on the backfoot for no reason. See the link below for more information

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...173/2000-10-31
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X