• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Son caught shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son caught shoplifting

Hello all!

I am new to this I’ve never been on a forum but felt I needed some advice.

On 15 December 2017 my son was caught shoplifting from sports direct in our home town. The goods that he had on him were taken off of him and the store detective and store manager said “yes they can go back onto the shopfloor and we can resell“ so a few weeks later we received a without prejudice save as to costs letter from civil recovery solutions company asking that he pays the claim value of £118.94 or settlement figure of £95.15. At this point we didn’t know anything about the shoplifting! That’s another story! They have asked him to pay this amount as soon as possible before they go ahead with court action. No police were involved and he was not cautioned, he has however been banned from the shop for six months he was told at the time that there would be no further action taken against him. Now as we were under the understanding they could resell the goods I don’t see why he should have to pay this! I have seen on other forums that we should ignore these letters? I’m not sure what to do so any advice would be gratefully appreciated and he has been told in no uncertain terms if this happens again there will be trouble!! I hope this has put him off for life, he should’ve known better as he’s 20 years old!
    Tags: None

Re: Son caught shoplifting

How did you know about it, did he tell youo?

Yes the advice is to ignore these begging letters. There has been no loss, they got the goods back . If they are stating that this is to cover the time of the security staff there is still no loss as the security people would have been paid no matter.

You might care to read the results of the last time RLP, one of these companies, tried taking shoplifters to court. The result was a severe spanking from the judge

Comment

Re: Son caught shoplifting

CRS are a company we don't often see.
      Could you possibly post up (first removing identifying details) the letters you receive so we can add them to our "scary letters" thread (http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...=scary+letters)

It helps others if they know what is likely to drop through the letter box,

and as [MENTION=39331]ostell[/MENTION] and all other forums, just ignore these self styled civil recovery people.
      IMO they are little better than vigilantes dealing out their own unregulated version of justice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X