• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems with car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with car

Hi first time on here and not sure if I'm posting in right place 😟

Ten weeks ago me and my partner purchased a car on hire purchase. First problem started on day one when we picked the car up. It wouldn't start due to flat battery which I suppose is understandable this time of year due to weather or possibly car has been stood a while. Anyway long story short I had to buy a new battery and was refunded by the garage we bought car.

Second problem, not had the car for a week and noticed problem with exhaust took to my local garage where he said need a full exhaust informed dealership who said to get work done and they would pay.

Third problem, day 29 the day before warranty ran out car had another problem was taken to my local garage who confirmed it was lambda sensor. Booked this in after dealership said they would pay for this too. But local garage had trouble getting part off and didn't want to continue for fear of damaging my parts so was agreed for dealership to pick car up and them sort it out. The car was took away they had it for 3 days and we were told cat was ready to collect. They day after picking car up the problem had started again.

We have kept the finance company informed regarding all this.

Now there's a new problem where I had to get the AA out because car wouldn't start while I was out shopping he told me the starter motor was on its way out.

Finance company have been back in touch to say the dealership are prepared to fix the lambda sensor problem again but that they didn't have to because the problem is down to wear and tear. I told finance company we didn't want the car fixing it was supposed to of already been fixed and that I wanted to return the car. I also told them about the starter motor they said this is also down to wear and tear so I wouldn't be able to return the car.

Sorry for long post (I could of actually gone on more)
    Anybody any idea what my options are here it's just been one problem after another car has spent most of the time either parked outside of house or at the garage. Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Problems with car

OK, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have the right to reject the defective vehicle. Before 30 days then there is the absolute right to reject if it goes wrong. After 30 days and before 6 months any defect is assumed to have been present since purchase and it's up to the seller to prove otherwise, but in this case you have to give them one chance to repair.

The 30 day clock stops when you report a problem and restarts when the car is returned to you with it allegedly fixed.

It's up to you. You can write to the finance company, copying the garage, and tell them that you are rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act. Confirm that you have given them every opportunity to fix any faults but there are ongoing problems. You want all money paid and additional costs paid within the required 14 days. Do it in writing so that there is a paper trail.

Here's a link to the act and here's a link to a Which simplified guide.

Comment

Re: Problems with car

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      OK, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have the right to reject the defective vehicle. Before 30 days then there is the absolute right to reject if it goes wrong. After 30 days and before 6 months any defect is assumed to have been present since purchase and it's up to the seller to prove otherwise, but in this case you have to give them one chance to repair.

The 30 day clock stops when you report a problem and restarts when the car is returned to you with it allegedly fixed.

It's up to you. You can write to the finance company, copying the garage, and tell them that you are rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act. Confirm that you have given them every opportunity to fix any faults but there are ongoing problems. You want all money paid and additional costs paid within the required 14 days. Do it in writing so that there is a paper trail.

Here's a link to the act and here's a link to a Which simplified guide.
      Thanks for replying. Will have a look at the links you've posted. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X