• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Could I sue utility company/Debt Collection Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I sue utility company/Debt Collection Agency

Hi

I moved into a property in January 2016. The previous owner part-exchanged with a building firm and so lived in the property until her new build was ready. She moved out in December 2015 and so the 'owners' for those few weeks were the building firm.

I first received a letter from this utility company for gas/electricity about 7 months ago. I sent them an email and telephoned them asking why I owed the amount they were claiming for. The dates they gave were for the December until 1 day after I completed and became the legal owner. So I told them via telephone and email that the debt was not mine.

I thought nothing more of it. But then my mother who lives 10 miles down the road received a letter from a debt collection agency acting on behalf of the utility company. I haven't lived at that address for about 5 years. I spoke to them immediately again confirming that I didn't owe this debt. They required proof and so I sent it. I heard nothing and so wrote to them again. I was told over the telephone that the initial proof was rejected and they required further documentation so I sent more. Again didn't hear anything and they keep saying they will be in touch soon.

I have emailed the utility company and was told they would not answer my query via email as this was not the correct email on the account! I replied obviously stating there never was an account but received nothing. I have emailed a complaint to the CEO but again nothing back.

I received a further letter from the debt collection agency saying they may take me to court and have added interest to the debt!

Not sure what more I can do to prove I am not the debtor. I have contacted the building firm who have said they will await for correspondence from the collection agency. I passed their details onto the debt collection but they haven't contacted them as far as I am aware.

It's really stressing me out. I have never had this kind of thing before as I have always paid everything on time. I am fearful of receiving court letters or a knock on the door. I know I am innocent but it's still mega stressful and I have got nowhere in months.

Can anybody recommend what I do next. If I am honest, it's incredibly frustrating, stressful and I want compensation as a matter of principle to be quite honest.

Appreciate any help

Cheers
    Tags: None

Re: Could I sue utility company/Debt Collection Agency

You won't get a knock on the door. If it's been over a year since the bill should have been given then the industry have a code of practise that they should write off the amount, Others know more about it.

Comment

Hi and welcome to LB

Very distressing for you, bur not an unusual attitude from a utility company.

I'm tagging our resident expert ( [MENTION=99495]slainte caragh[/MENTION]) for you, but as it is the weekend you may have to await a while for her response.

In the meantime could you name the company concerned please?

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION]

Hi, sorry I've taken a while to get back to you, was on a night shift last night and the coffee hasn't quite kicked in.

Ok, so to recap you are being charged for energy you didn't use 12 months ago?

You have provided documentary evidence to the fact you are not in fact liable for that amount.

Rest assured, there will be no outcome.

If anything is sent to you, simply do exactly what you have done, show your letter of occupancy showing you are not responsible for the debt and the name and address of the person that is. If the property was empty and unfurnished there is no debt anyway (how can you use energy is an empty house?)

A quick check of Land Registry will show who was responsible for the property too, but if worst comes to worst (which it won't) contact the Ombudsman with regards to being hounded for a property you didn't own. They don't take kindly to it.

May I suggest that the DCA has gone quiet due to going back to the supplier and being told to back down. Energy suppliers are good at that, give them a clear timescale for a definative answer before lodging a formal complaint with OFGEM.
        PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

The company is Extra Energy.

Many thanks for the replies, especially that of the last one.

Yes the debt should belong to the building firm as I believe the dates match when the previous owner left and we completed. I forgot to say there was a gas leak when the building firm when in to check and so this may have contributed to the bill, I have no idea as they fixed it just before we moved in.

I will send them a letter stating I need confirmation it is sorted or I will take my case to the Ombudsman

Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X