• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Work Suspension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Suspension

Hi,

I am on suspension from work pending investigation regarding missing jewellery.

I sold my own jewellery in another shop and because it has come back as the same weight I have been suspended and now I do not know what to do.

I need help,I am a law student and don't want this to affect me.

If I resign would that be better?
    Tags: None

Hi and help please

Hi,

I am on suspension from work pending investigation regarding missing jewellery.

I sold my own jewellery in another shop and because it has come back as the same weight I have been suspended and now I do not know what to do.

I need help,I am a law student and don't want this to affect me.

If I resign would that be better?

Comment

Re: Suspension, Help

Have you yet been invited to a disciplinary meeting? If so have they detailed what the likely outcome of the meeting is?

What is the value of the jewellery that is believed to be missing and I don't want to add greater stress to the situation but are the company likely to involve the police?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Re: Suspension, Help

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        Have you yet been invited to a disciplinary meeting? If so have they detailed what the likely outcome of the meeting is?

What is the value of the jewellery that is believed to be missing and I don't want to add greater stress to the situation but are the company likely to involve the police?

I have an investigatory meeting tomorrow nothing said about disciplinary outcome atm.

Idk they have not said I would imagine 4/500 GBP. No mention of police but I am Scared I am a law student too....
        Last edited by Amethyst; 12th January 2018, 10:31:AM.

Comment

Re: Work Suspension

Just had a thought since my last post and it may be a long shot but do you have any original receipts for the jewellery that you sold. If so then it would be really good to get them together and have them to take to the investigatory meeting tomorrow.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I know that would've been good but they were gifted to me and even if I had bought them I wouldn't have kept the receipts...

Comment

Then my other thought is do you have an itemised list of what you sold with brief description or if not can you put that together with rough dates as to when they were bought for you. I would have thought this could be verified in some way by the store you sold the jewellery to if needed.

The jewellery store should have a log of what they believe was stolen from their store.

The two are unlikely to be the same!!

Comment

Okay I will try that but I am so scared.

I know they will try to pin it on me as lots of things have been going missing but I'm not a thief!
                I'm a law student and I'm scared this will ruin my career

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                  Then my other thought is do you have an itemised list of what you sold with brief description or if not can you put that together with rough dates as to when they were bought for you. I would have thought this could be verified in some way by the store you sold the jewellery to if needed.

The jewellery store should have a log of what they believe was stolen from their store.

The two are unlikely to be the same!!

Would it be better if I resigned?

Comment

Is temp work whilst you are studying presumably at university as you mentioned being a law student? It depends if you can manage without the income for a period of time and I would suggest you may not be able to put them as a future reference. This is only a decision you can make and the issue of whether they will make a report to the police is still not known.

In regard to this latter point and taking on board you are a law student and having been in the area of recruiting trainee solicitors, I know that to train in this area
                    you would need to meet the requirements of the SRA's character and suitability test. I have provided a link to these below

http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/suitabilitytest/content.page

Comment

Yes only part time.
                      If I resign will they stop investigating me and pursuing me?

Okay, I will look this up thank you so much.

Comment

If you resign you presumably have to give notice for which you would either work or they would have to pay you. It does not mean if you did resign that they would drop the investigation particularly if there was the possibility of a disciplinary with the outcome of gross misconduct as they could dismiss you immediately and without payment of notice.

So it would depend on how certain they are of their case which would be the same position for them making a report to the police - they would have to be sure or reasonably sure of their facts to do this.

All I can do is provide you with a view based on the information you have given me, I cannot make the decision for you as to what you should do.

However a suggestion to consider is to go to the investigation meeting tomorrow to plead your case and get a feel for how your employer is viewing the matter. It may then give you a better idea as to whether you can offer your resignation instead of them pursing the matter further.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X