• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used car warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used car warranty

I bought a used car on 15th December 2017. I had paid £300 cash deposit the week before, and on 15th I paid £100 with my credit car and the remainder with my debit card when I collected the car. On the evening of 16th Dec the ABS light came on and I called a friend who knows the marque and owns a scanner for the car so we ran a diagnostic test and the ABS reluctor ring was at fault. Along with that there were numerous other DTC codes, some that we managed to clear and others which require work. I contacted the company as soon as they opened on Sunday 17th and was told to speak to the salesman who I was dealing with but he wasn't available until Monday morning. On Monday I called him with a long list of faults and was told that because of the holiday period I would be best keeping the car until after Christmas and return it to them on 27th Dec for repairs. I had to make a temporary repair to the swirl flap arm to ensure I could drive to my daughter's house in the highlands without breaking down. I also had to fit a new wiper blade to the driver side as the one supplied was completely shot, also a repair to the spare wheel which required a new valve. (I've been told I will be reimbursed for these items) The car along with my list was taken to the dealer on 27th December and to date I am still waiting on its return. I was told the repairs would take around a week due to the holiday period but I am now at 15 days. Every time I speak to the salesman he said they were waiting on parts. today I was told the parts were in and the car should be ready, but now at 15:40pm I am having my doubts. Below is the list I have provided them with.

Window... bouncing

Boot Handle... sticking

ABS/Brake fault... ABS reluctor ring, front driver side

Swirl Flaps... arm off and ball worn...temporary fix, requires new ball & arm

Top engine mount

Lower torque engine mount

Glow relay control... suspect glow-plug # 1

Air condenser... lots of fins missing

Hand brake foot pedal... rubber worn

Wheel wobble starts around 63mph

Gearbox oil weep

Clutch judder when cold...Engine mounts may cure it

Click from transmission/engine. Suspect engine mounts will cure it

Wiper Blade... driver side... Replaced...see below

Spare wheel... valve perished...Repaired...see below

Oil level sensor, caused by overfill... Sorted by removing 2 litres of overfilled oil

£30 to replace wiper blade and repair spare wheel
    DTS codes

ABS/ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED

BRAKE ASSIST SERVICE REQUIRED
    ABS-0022 Wheel sensor right front. Mechanical fault

ECM-18AO Swirl actuator control Offset fault

ECM-6661 Glow relay control

DTS Codes I managed to clear
    CM-5660 Oil level sensor

ABS-0112 Body sensor cluster stability sensor (BSC) Sensor not calibrated
    CEM-1A52 Communication with the driver door module (DDM) Signal missing
    ECM-3000 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor

I know I still have a few of my 30 days left to reject the car. I actually don't want to reject it as finding another with the same specification is proving difficult but if this isn't resolved soon I may be left with no alternative.

What I would like to know is:-

1. Where do I stand regarding the 30 day part of the warranty, does that expire on 14th Jan or am I entitled to ask for the extra days that they have had possession of the vehicle for repairs?
    2. If I decide to reject the car, how long can I expect to wait until my money is refunded?
    3. If I reject the car, can I claim for my personal plate transfer fees?
    4. Can I claim for loss of use of my car as I have been without this car now for 15 days and still counting? I asked for a loan car when I dropped mine off and was told they don’t have anything available and they don’t give courtesy cars out, however I was offered a courtesy car last Friday 9 days after I originally asked for one. I declined the offer as it would take me 2-3 hours to get to them to collect it and another 3/4 hour to drive home, so it’s now easier for me to do without for the remaining few days (I hope)…

5. Can I claim for the faults I rectified during the 12 days I had the car? I had to do a few repairs and a temporary repair to ensure the car never brake down during my trip to the highlands. I did a temporary repair to the swirl flap armature, and pay for a DTC scan which found around a dozen faults which needed cleared. The DTC scan also let me find the swirl flap fault and pinpointed which wheel was causing the ABS fault. Information I passed onto the vendor saving them valuable time diagnosing the problems. Thanking you in advance.

Thank you for your time
    Tags: None

Re: Used car warranty

1) The 30 day Consumer Rights Act clock stops when the car went in for repair.
    2) After rejecting it's supposed to be 14 days
    3) You can claim for any costs incurred (reasonably)
    4) You can't get compensation for loss of use but you can claim if it was neccessary to hire a car for short term
    5) Yes you can claim for money you had to spend.

Comment

Thanks ostell, just had a call from the salesman and at the moment I'm furious as the car is still not ready. At least I know I have plenty time to reject the car which was my main concern.

I have been told they will not be changing the air condenser or engine mounts but if I get a report on the engine mounts from another source they will have another look at them. My intention is to go take the car to the main dealer and have them look at the mounts and get a report. If the mounts and condenser are faulty I will purchase them myself and claim the money back even if I have to take them to court

Comment

Yet another sleepless night thinking about this situation. I've been reading through the forum most of the night and came across a number of threads regarding 30 days for rejecting a car under the Consumer Rights Act section 22 (I think). (Believe me when I say I really do not wish to go down this route as I really want this car, I have spent hours online searching for a similar car with the same specification but to no avail).

What I did deduce from reading the forum tonight was that the 30 days period stops when I report the fault to the dealer. Please let me know if I have understood this to be correct. If this is the case then as I purchased the car on 15th December and reported faults on 17th December am I correct in thinking I still have 28 days left of my Consumer Right Act?

Also in my furious state of mind yesterday after speaking to the salesman I wrote above that I was going to the main dealer about the engine mounts (this make and model car are notorious for faulty engine mounts) If the main dealer stated that the engine mounts were in need of replacement would it be acceptable for me to buy and then claim the cost back from the car sales company?
        Last edited by ovlov90; 11th January 2018, 07:56:AM. Reason: typo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X