• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What happens after being to court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens after being to court?

I have been to my local sheriff court and was given 2 weeks to pay. I have paid the amount during this time period and the claimants solicitor has phoned and have now sent a letter suggesting I need to pay a further amount for legal expenses. At the hearing their representative said that as I had appeared at the court that they would not pursue any expenses. Where do I stand? Can they do this?
    Tags: None

Re: What happens after being to court?

What amount were you told by the court to pay? Have you paid that amount?

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
      What amount were you told by the court to pay? Have you paid that amount?
      I have paid the amount that was on the original claim and I have paid that amount within the time frame that was given in the court. The amount was just over £300.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Purple78 View Post
        I have paid the amount that was on the original claim and I have paid that amount within the time frame that was given in the court. The amount was just over £300.
        Thanks
        I assume you are in Scotland but have you received the written notification from the court? That will tell you about what you need to pay.

I know in England costs in a small claims court are only awarded if the other side has acted poorly - in my case they persuade a hopeless case and got hit for costs ( sad that wasn't it)

You say they wrote 'suggesting' and not demanding - if it was a suggestion, I know I would want to suggest something to them but saying I refer you to Arkell v. Pressdram is not really very professional

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
          I assume you are in Scotland but have you received the written notification from the court? That will tell you about what you need to pay.

I know in England costs in a small claims court are only awarded if the other side has acted poorly - in my case they persuade a hopeless case and got hit for costs ( sad that wasn't it)

You say they wrote 'suggesting' and not demanding - if it was a suggestion, I know I would want to suggest something to them but saying I refer you to Arkell v. Pressdram is not really very professional
          Thanks for your reply.
          Yes I am in Scotland, the letter I have received is from the claimants solicitor stating that my case has been granted a four week continuation and has a new calling date and this is to allow time to negotiate the payment of legal expenses on my account. It mentions I am now liable for these sums under Section D6 on the Simple Procedure Claim Form.

At the hearing I attended earlier this month, their representative stated they would not be looking to recoup expenses as I had appeared and was willing to pay the amount within 2 weeks.

Comment

I am sorry but I do not understand Scottish law. Maybe [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] knows someone who does.
            Last edited by warwick65; 31st December 2017, 20:24:PM. Reason: Tag

Comment

Thanks warwick65

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X