• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amending a defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amending a defence

I recently attended court as a witness for my wife defending against a claim on a credit card debt of £4K. This has been in dispute since 2012 with the original lender but was sold on. There have been numerous s.78 requests during that period, the responses always coming back with the same application form and T&C's. A letter before action arrived while we were away last year and before we could respond a claim had been issued.

We sent CPR 31.14 and S78 requests and nothing came back for 5 months. We acknowledged the claim and posted our defence which at that stage was to do with the lack of documentation in support of the claim.
    When the claimant's solicitors did respond, it was with the same application form and T&C's. I added a witness statement outlining our objection to the delays and pointing out that the "Agreement" was in fact and application form missing the prescribed term and a random set of T'&C's. Unfortunately I had overlooked amending our defence to reflect the documents sent later by the solicitors.

At the hearing the District Judge was not overly concerned about the delays we had experienced in getting the claim documents from the solicitors. He was also quite willing to look at the all matters mentioned in the witness statement even though they were not all referred to in the defence. He was, however, very interested in examining the "Agreement" and the missing prescribed terms as stipulated by 60(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and as described in The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553). The DJ attempted to understand our argument by reviewing the legislations but there was insufficient time during the hearing. The DJ therefore adjourned the hearing and directed us to amend our defence to reflect these argument. He also suggested quoting any relevant case law to support this.

The advice I am seeking from the forum is;
    Do we amend our defence via the MCOL site or submit directly to the court?
    Can anybody point me at some supportive case law examples?

Any other advice is welcomed also.
    Tags: None

Re: Amending a defence

Originally posted by Stevemcmli View Post
    I recently attended court as a witness for my wife defending against a claim on a credit card debt of £4K.
    . . . .
    We sent CPR 31.14 and S78 requests and nothing came back for 5 months. We acknowledged the claim and posted our defence which at that stage was to do with the lack of documentation in support of the claim.
    . . . .
    Unfortunately I had overlooked amending our defence to reflect the documents sent later by the solicitors.

At the hearing the District Judge was not overly concerned about the delays . . . . He was, however, very interested in examining the "Agreement" . . . . . The DJ attempted to understand our argument by reviewing the legislations but there was insufficient time during the hearing. The DJ therefore adjourned the hearing and directed us to amend our defence to reflect these argument. He also suggested quoting any relevant case law to support this.

The advice I am seeking from the forum is;
    Do we amend our defence via the MCOL site or submit directly to the court?

The answer to your question is you file your wife's Amended Defence at the court where the Hearing took place (presumably her local county court).

The case would have been transferred from NCCBC (MCOL) after the Direction Questionnaire had been completed or in the event the Claimant made an Application for a Summary Judgment to strike out her Defence once they had produced the documents (was it a SJ Hearing?).

From what you say the DJ gave your wife permission to file an Amended Defence so she could plead legal arguments which weren't pleaded by her first time around. Was the Claimant given permission to respond to it 14 days later?

Does this claim relate to your Hoist/Howard Cohen thread here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...l=1#post714590

If so I can think of another legal argument that your wife may benefit from including in her Amended Defence unless the Order was specific as to what new arguments could be raised so there's a limitation on what can be amended.

Di

Comment

Re: Amending a defence

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
      The answer to your question is you file your wife's Amended Defence at the court where the Hearing took place (presumably her local county court).

The case would have been transferred from NCCBC (MCOL) after the Direction Questionnaire had been completed or in the event the Claimant made an Application for a Summary Judgment to strike out her Defence once they had produced the documents (was it a SJ Hearing?).

From what you say the DJ gave your wife permission to file an Amended Defence so she could plead legal arguments which weren't pleaded by her first time around. Was the Claimant given permission to respond to it 14 days later?

Does this claim relate to your Hoist/Howard Cohen thread here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...l=1#post714590

If so I can think of another legal argument that your wife may benefit from including in her Amended Defence unless the Order was specific as to what new arguments could be raised so there's a limitation on what can be amended.

Di

Thanks Di. The DJ gave us a deadline to submit an amended defence and the claimant 14 days after to respond. Yes it does relate to the previous thread. Apologies for not adding to it.

The DJ was quite specific about the matters to be addressed in the amended defence. Am I correct in assuming that I layout the amended defence in the same way? Do any previously submitted witness statement still count or do they have to be re-submitted?

Many thanks.

Stevie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X