• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New agents rude and difficult

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New agents rude and difficult

Hi
    been renting a house for three years now. never had a problem. landlord lives right next door. agents allway been reasonable.. the agents have been bought out by another firm. got a rude letter theother day about how much we would be charged if we called for repairs over xmas. addressed to tenant. no name or address.

Get text on wed at 2pm telling us they were going to inspect at 2pm following day. day before xmas break. called them when I received the text at 4.45 and she said she did not see what was unreasonable.

rescheduled now for 2nd jan at 9am. if were not there they will let themselves in.

Never had a problem before. I now what is going on. they think they can be rude with letters.. give 24 hours notice as its in the contract. but really is it reasonable. Id like to give them a reminder how to treat people. I expect a letter to have a name on it and the 24 hr is the min time required. reasonable behaviour would be a few days not. unless its clear a problem exists. id like to deal with the matter formally.

any idears

steveeasy
    merry xmas
    Tags: None

Re: New agents rude and difficult

If you get on well with the landlord why not tell him what you think of his new agents?
    Might be more effective.

Comment

hi

got a rude letter theother day about how much we would be charged if we called for repairs over xmas.
      what was the wording of that letter, are they suggesting a call out charge,

Get text on wed at 2pm telling us they were going to inspect at 2pm following day. day before xmas break. called them when I received the text at 4.45 and she said she did not see what was unreasonable.
      Its is unreasonable, usualy 3 days written notice, and should be in your tenancy contract in some form.

rescheduled now for 2nd jan at 9am. if were not there they will let themselves in.
      Can only do that in emergancy, to prevent further damage ( leek, fire, ect ), tell them that if anyone lets themsefl in, without your prior writen concent, to do anything other than attent an emergancy, to provide you there insurance details.
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
        hi

what was the wording of that letter, are they suggesting a call out charge,

The letter said something like this. Tennant. during the holiday period these contractors have very kindly offered to provide services. only contact us if its an absolute emergency or we will charge you for wasting their time.. thought they were just providing a service for the landlords and got paid for such. in three years never had a single problem

Its is unreasonable, usualy 3 days written notice, and should be in your tenancy contract in some form.

Our tenancy agreement states 24 hours notice to inspect. it is the min and one would expect it in writing with time to actually see it. I called them and said I felt it was a little unreasonable and got told no one else had ever complained. I did not need to be there as they would let themselves in they held Keys. the lady said why was it a problem. er I tend to dust before visitors. I like to plan to be there and I just happen to be working.

Can only do that in emergancy, to prevent further damage ( leek, fire, ect ), tell them that if anyone lets themsefl in, without your prior writen concent, to do anything other than attent an emergancy, to provide you there insurance details.
        Is that true. ive been told several times before when agents are coming. if no one is there they will just let themselves in as per the contract. ive allways thought it unreasonable and wondered how either each party would cover themselves if anything was to go amiss or happen. it seams a very grey area indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          If you get on well with the landlord why not tell him what you think of his new agents?
          Might be more effective.
          well we respect each other and have absolutely no problem with each other. that's why it works we don't trouble each other. id not discuss it with them. if it is correct the agents have no legal right to enter without permission unless as a matter of emergency. It really seams we still have an awful lot to do to ensure tenants are treated fairly. I do not understand why agents feel they can simply let themselves in to some ones house that they hopefully pay rent on and are entitled to what is referred to a quiet enjoyment. could a clause in a tenancy allowing for agents to just let themselves in for a routine inspection be unreasonable and therefore not be binding.

Comment

OK I'm new to this but Landlord and Tenant Act !985 sec 11 (6) does state :
            "In a lease in which the lessor’s repairing covenant is implied there is also implied a covenant by the lessee that the lessor, or any person authorised by him in writing, may at reasonable times of the day and on giving 24 hours’ notice in writing to the occupier, enter the premises comprised in the lease for the purpose of viewing their condition and state of repair."

I would suggest that
            "giving 24 hours’ notice in writing" requires more than an email the day before, and to be reasonable the arrangement should be made perhaps a week in advance.

Comment

Hi

The 24 hours notice is at least 24 hours after they have recived it, and you would need to know they have recived it. In the industry, its 3 days written notice to confirm that. That is still not an absolute right either, it has to be for a reason, or it can be classed as harrasment. A LL / Agent can enter immedeatly to deal with saftey issuse around gas/electric meters, ( to take in service contractors for the meters ). In the last 8/4 weeks of a tenancy ( and usualy written in the contract ) , the LL/Agent can usualy arrainge viewings

Also, when you ( as an agent ) enter a tenants property without them present or without there prior written concent, your open to any claim of damages or losses, and most insurance wont cover you entering without permission unless its an emergancy or to stop further damage.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject...iet-enjoyment/

Honestly, just sounds like the new agents busy and being a bit pushy,
              crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
                Hi

The 24 hours notice is at least 24 hours after they have recived it, and you would need to know they have recived it. In the industry, its 3 days written notice to confirm that. That is still not an absolute right either, it has to be for a reason, or it can be classed as harrasment. A LL / Agent can enter immedeatly to deal with saftey issuse around gas/electric meters, ( to take in service contractors for the meters ). In the last 8/4 weeks of a tenancy ( and usualy written in the contract ) , the LL/Agent can usualy arrainge viewings

Also, when you ( as an agent ) enter a tenants property without them present or without there prior written concent, your open to any claim of damages or losses, and most insurance wont cover you entering without permission unless its an emergancy or to stop further damage.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject...iet-enjoyment/

Honestly, just sounds like the new agents busy and being a bit pushy,
                Hi,
                thanks for the advice. think your right. that said agents should not be acting unreasonably and tenants should not accept being treated poorly. There I am going to right to their senior partner reminding them of their rights and to request they provide polite and reasonable requests to inspect the property I pay good rent for. If I receive another rude letter ill return it.

thanks

steveeasy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X