• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HP Voluntary Termination & Car Residual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Voluntary Termination & Car Residual

Hi,
    So I have just spoken to Mercedes and have been left very surprised!!
    I am almost 2 years through a 4 year agreement with Mercedes Finance and thought I would enquire what my rights are to VT, as I want to reduce monthly payments. Having VT’d a few times I always thought that by 2 years through a 4 year deal I would be close to hitting the 50% payment of total loan in order to do it.
    So I was told the 50% marker for VT, which is what I had expected.

The problem is that Mercedes are not taking account of any of the car residual in their calculation. As such my payments to date only cover half of the VT settlement amount. I had thought that they use the residual of the car after 2 years (or half the 4 year residual) to settle the rest of the amount owed to VT. No came back the answer from Mercedes!! So in order to hit the VT 50% I estimate that I will actually need to pay the monthly for c43 months out of the 48…..

My question is, is this right? Why are they not using the value of the car now towards the VT??

I have VT's a number of cars and not hit this issue before.

I am really bemused by this as I had assumed all VT’s did this.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    James
    Tags: None

Re: HP Voluntary Termination & Car Residual

There are various forms of hire purchase agreements, it sounds like your agreement is a Personal Contract Plan where you are merely paying off the depreciation value only whereas under true HP agreements you pay off the total value of the car too. This is probably why you have previously been able to VT halfway through the contract.

There may be a work around but require you to issue court proceedings yourself. The relevant provision is under section 100(3) of the CCA which basically says that if the court is satisfied that a sum less than 50% of the total amount payable under the contract meets the creditor's loss then they will award that sum.

In simple terms, the loss to Mercedes would be the total amount payable under the contract and if the car's residual value plus what you've paid to date makes up a large proportion of the total amount payable then a court may award you the difference instead of meeting the 50% total amount payable. To give you an example:

Total Amount Payable = £20,000 over 48 months (monthly installments are £300)
    24 x 250 = £7,200
    Average value of car if sold = £10,300
    Loss to creditor under agreement = £2,500

Compare with having to VT and pay 50%:

Total Amount Payable = £20,000 over 48 months (monthly installments are £300)
    24 x 250 = £7,200
    Average value of car if sold = £10,300
    Amount to meet 50% = £2,800
    Creditor profits = £300

Although a simple example, that's effectively what section 100(3) of the CCA allows you to argue. The creditor's real loss will be the difference in value had the contract been performed but as with cars, they do depreciate depending on their brand so you might have to get some quotes and valuations done either free online and/or dealerships too. You are better off having all of the facts and information available to you before embarking down this route, otherwise you are held to 50% of the total amount payable
    Last edited by R0b; 22nd December 2017, 14:31:PM.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Rob, very useful. Can I check, if I issue court proceedings along this route, would I be elected to pay court costs if Mercedes come out in favour?

Comment

Honestly, I am not sure having never used this point before. I would be inclined to say yes you are liable because from the top of my head you would have to make an application to the court for a declaration of some sort, and that wouldn't limit your costs as it won't fall within the small claims track.

Having said that, unless you are able to argue for example, under section 140A of the CCA relating to unfair relationship (section 140B sets out what the court can award, see 140B(c) about reducing or discharging the debt) and attaching the real loss value as part of the claim. A court might then bring it within the small claims track but I would probably err on the side of caution.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you. So basically if I can prove that the price of may car plus the payments I have paid stand to make them a large profit over and above the 50% VT fee I may stand a chance of getting a ruling in my favour. I was thinking over documenting this to Mercedes Finance and outlining the sections you have given to me. Also the contract states HP and not PCP, but that may be a cleaver trick of theirs.

One last point was that I suggested tot he dealership that I would likely VT after 2 years and they said yes you can do that. So perhaps mis-selling issues also.

Really appreciate your help, hope you have a great Christmas

Comment

Yes thats right, the easiest way to obtain that sort of evidence is by getting a couple of online valuations e.g. Whatcar, Parkers etc. maybe getting a couple of dealerships like Mercedes or equivlanet to also give a value and see if they are prepared to put that in writing on letterhead paper or by email. Armed with that information you can go back to Mercedes and cite the relevant provision.

Arguing something like this is probably not going to do much with someone at customer service on the other end, but you may be able to put in a formal complaint and see if the FOS will take it up, so you don't have to think about going to court but if they don't assist or favour Mercedes then bar paying them 50% you would have to hash it out in court.

As for the mis-selling, well that's a moot point because strictly speaking you can VT at 2 years, but you will need to meet the 50% difference. So unless you have a witness or other evidence to corroborate your story and confirm that you both had the understanding that you can VT at 50% and not pay anything more at the 2 year mark, then I think that argument will fall flat.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X