• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifted and want to return the stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shoplifted and want to return the stuff

Just because they saw him on CCTV doesn't mean the police will take any action. I had some (legitimate!) CCTV recording of someone thieving a long length of heavy mooring chain. The cameras recording him lifting it on to the back of his truck, with clear views of his face and the VRN of the truck. Police visited him but because the chain was no longer in his possession then the CPS decided that no action to be taken as there was not enough evidence. What the (*&^&* ?

Comment

Thank you for your answer, but my friend he is thinking of going back to the store and pay for the things he took. i advised him against it because it would be an admission of guilt and i think the store would still have the right to report him if they are not very nice people. is that a good advice or i should let him go? also is there are any free online legal services a lawyer to ask. thank you all

Comment

While the site does not condone shoplifting please persuade your friend not to do this. He could be caught with an unpaid item in his hand and the whole process could start again and this time they may call the police. How would he explain the item in his hand?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          While the site does not condone shoplifting please persuade your friend not to do this. He could be caught with an unpaid item in his hand and the whole process could start again and this time they may call the police. How would he explain the item in his hand?
          He wants to go and talk to the manager of the store telling him that he found these in his bag and wants to pay for them.

He is scared because the things he took worth 250£ he thinks that definitely they will chase him, and i know now that this wasn't his first time he took something from the same store only a day before that day, and he didn't get caught too and other stuffed from Primark but less than 100£ , so if they found him on their CCTV it would be two times not only once. And not only a one store but two.
          Thanks for answering, appreciate your help.

Comment

The store would be within their rights to report the theft and contact the police, however as he is returning the items, and it is the season of goodwill, they may accept them without question.... possibly - however they likelyhave policies and procedures staff are obliged to follow. It is more likely your friend may be asked to go and discuss with security and probably agree to a civil recovery notice. He must be absolutely clear when returning them that he is not asking for any refund or exchange, just discovered that he had failed to pay for the items previously and would like to pay for them now or leave them with the store. If it is eating away at him then it is likely he will return the goods regardless of advice and will take any consequences of his initial actions - but it'd be awful to do so and get caught up in allegations of return fraud. Legally he has committed an offence and the store are within their rights to prosecute. Morally he is right to want to return the goods and apologise. There isn't a definitive answer of what will happen it will depend on many things but he needs to do what he need to do, and so long as he is willing to accept any consequences, he should be able to do that.

If this is an ongoing issue he might want to go and get some support from his GP.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, i will tell him what you all think that it is very unlikely to be traced by the police from CCTV and credit card, i think he should let it go and work on his anxiety, it's been a week now since that happened, and i think if the store wanted to do something they would have done it by now, right? Also I don't think they check their stock everyday to be able to look at CCTV in that exact day.

Thank you all for your help, and sorry for asking too many questions.

Merry Christmas

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X