• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax, Swift bayliffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax, Swift bayliffs

Hi

newbie so bare with me, little advice needed regarding my 22yr old son. he shared a house with a friend, joint tenents, lasted less than 6 months, bills not paid by friend, son not working at the time so on housing benefit for his half and of course his half of the council tax paid.

They parted company and my son went on to move in with his girlfriend in a council property in a different borough, around 18 months ago. They have been living on benefits and have a 1 year old son.

About six months ago he received a summons for unpaid council tax for the previous property, he went to the council offices with his mum, who is an administrator and therefore quite astute, to ask why. He explained that he had been on housing benefit, and also that his half of the council tax was also payed via benefits.

At first they said they could find no evidence that he had a housing benefit claim or his ctax paid but luckily my son had kept all the receipts etc on his phone, which he showed the council representative and low and behold they found his claim and confirmed he had indeed had housing and council tax paid.

He gave the council his ex housemate's current address ( he resides with his parents who live opposite me), and even his phone number. The council rep said they would pursue this person for the debt owed and asked that my son put what they had discussed in writing and send it to them for their files. We assumed at this time the debt was seen to be, and proven to be his housemates, something implied by the council rep with the 'not to worry and put it in writing'.

Last week, with no further contact whatsoever, a swift bailiff left a card at the house, on ringing the number my son was threatened with them breaking into the property and removing goods if they didn't clear the debt.

I spoke to the council on his behalf, only to be told that the only notes on the file was that the case was going to be deferred for two weeks, nothing of what was discussed and no letter, which was actually hand delivered and posted. I was told that the notice to proceed was sent to my house, where my son is not even registered as living and hasn't been for over two years, this was not received, and in my opinion not served so my son could not go to court and defend himself.

I asked if it could be taken back to court, so we could produce our own evidence but was told no, is this correct if the papers were never served ?

Sorry to be rather long winded but I wanted to show the whole situation.

Thanks for your time

Grem
    Last edited by Amethyst; 12th December 2017, 09:04:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax, Swift bayliffs

The Bailiff is only carrying out the instructions of the Creditor (Council) and it is to them you must address your concerns.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X