• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary termination of car PCP and extra finance company charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary termination of car PCP and extra finance company charges

My daughter has paid more than 2/3rds of her agreement for her car and due to working abroad had decided to terminate. The finance company sent a form out which she completed and the vehicle was inspected. For reasonable wear and tear on vehicle we were charged just over £500 + £600 for the service booklet not being filled in. I find it an unreasonable way of making money and was expecting not having to pay anything further. Do I have any recourse in challenging these extra charges? Can someone advise please.
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary termination of car PCP and extra finance company charges

Originally posted by hawkhill View Post
    My daughter has paid more than 2/3rds of her agreement for her car and due to working abroad had decided to terminate. The finance company sent a form out which she completed and the vehicle was inspected. For reasonable wear and tear on vehicle we were charged just over £500 + £600 for the service booklet not being filled in. I find it an unreasonable way of making money and was expecting not having to pay anything further. Do I have any recourse in challenging these extra charges? Can someone advise please.
    Morning, I think more details are needed from you to better understand your position. There is an obligation on your daughter to take reasonable care of the car which would probably extend to having the car maintained through an annual service at least - Did she have the car serviced at all? If not, then I think it is reasonable for them to form the view that it should have been serviced as part of her duty to maintain it.

However, these charges can sometimes often be inflated and even though a car has not been serviced but repaired and MOT'd where necessary, the value might be a lot less than they are seeking to recover, if not negligable. Even more so, where the car is a brand that is known for holding it's value and is well built.

If your daughter is unhappy with these charges then you should ask for an explanation as to how they have come to this calculation and/or whether you consider the charges levied as representing an accurate representation of the car diminution in value. If they have based it on the average cost of £100 per service and your daughter has had the car 4-5 years then that is probably a sensible reasoning, but if lets say they've charged the services at £250 based on what a dealership would charge, it might be arguable that they ought to mitigate their losses and it would be reasonable for them to have the car serviced at a garage with a lower price and carried out at an equivalent standard.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X