• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business rates demand notice - court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business rates demand notice - court

Hi everyone,

Story so far - myself and ex business partner owned a business back in 2011-2013 (ltd). Business was closed in 2013 and this July i received a letter stating that i owe business rates. I contacted council and explained that it was not me personally liable for rates but company and provided all profs (bills, company registrations, Invoices, etc). Council lost my first letter. After a months or so i posted a second letter with all proofs and explanations. Based on tracking it was delivered to them and signed by reception. Council kept it quiet for 6 weeks after which i received a Court Summons this week. I have tried to call them and email for last few days - no reply or response.

What is the procedure if i have to go to court as i haven't been in one and dont know what to do.

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Business rates demand notice - court

Was this a LTD company

Comment

Hi wales01man - yes it was an LTD company.

Comment

Should be no problem defending this as long as any payments were made from LTD company funds

Comment

How was the business closed in 2013 ? and was the council informed at that point ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Whose name is the Summons in? What date do they allege the debt is owing from & were payments made prior to this?

Comment

Amethyst - business was closed by informing Companies house (usual route of advertising companies closure, etc)

ploddertom - in summons it is my name as well as ex-business partners name (who emigrated to Germany 4 years ago and dont care). Debt alleged from 2012.

Comment

Voluntary Strike Off (s1003 companies act 2006) or Liquidation ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I assume you never gave a Personal Guarantee?

Comment

Amethyst - voluntary strike off.

ploddertom - sorry, what personal guarantee? On what?

Comment

Sometimes even as director you may be asked to sign a Personal Guarantee meaning you will pay what is owing if the Company is defunct.

Comment

ploddertom - only personal guarantee i signed for the garage rental contract stating that business partners will pay for the rent. No other guarantees signed.

Comment

I would hazard a gues as this is an old debt that the Council are trawling trying to get every last penny back. It could be they think you will not have any records that prove this was a Company debt & died when the Company did. They may realise they cannot trace your partner and see you as the person they are going to chase. Eventually they may come to their senses and then tell you not to attend Court. Given their track record to date I certainly would not believe anything they say.

If it were me I would go, sidestep the Council on the day & insist on going in front of the Magistrate and having taken all proof with you ask this be thrown out.

Comment

ploddertom - thank you for your help and comments. I have never been in court and not sure what to say or whom to. Of course i will go and participate, more worried of what i need with me and what to say to whom.

Comment

With LO Hearings the basics are that the Council "hires" the Court and if anyone turns up then some Council employees may try to dissuade you from going in front of the Bench by "sorting" it all out beforehand. For the majority this may be OK but you have sufficient to show you are not liable and it is your right as ex-Director to put the case for your dissolved Company. Although it has serious outcome these affairs are reasonably casual.

If you get in front of the Bench then you address them as Sir or Ma'am according to gender. Speak clearly when spoken to and remember your please & thank you. You don't need to dress in a 3 piece but scruffy is also out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X